Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Unofficial Review: Dumina AutoFlex SF505X Driver Shaft

edingc

My fitter advise me not to trim it. He said the autoflex plays better with a nice and smooth swing. 

did you try playing at full length? Do you any different being 1in shorter? 

right now untrim, with only 6g total weight on the cobra LTDX LS. The flight is still too high and no roll.  I’m just trying to see how people are getting most out of their autoflex.

On 3/29/2022 at 11:25 PM, Albanyfx said:

My fitter advise me not to trim it. He said the autoflex plays better with a nice and smooth swing. 

did you try playing at full length? Do you any different being 1in shorter? 

right now untrim, with only 6g total weight on the cobra LTDX LS. The flight is still too high and no roll.  I’m just trying to see how people are getting most out of their autoflex.

What's your driver loft? Probably needs to be between 5-8 degrees if using a 46-47" length. Especially with something that increases dynamic loft like these shafts. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

• 2 months later...

Does anyone think this sounds anything like the old Killer Bee long shaft?   It's been years, but I played that club at 48", got exceptional distance.  The shaft seemed a little whippy and you really had to wait at the top and have good tempo throughout the swing.  I  think I was a 5 at the time  (nowhere near that now) but gave it up because I couldn't put the ball where I wanted to consistently.  

• 4 months later...

Going to the course tomorrow for my first round with the AFxx and the stealth plus head set to 7 degrees. Have changed the weights out several times. Playing length of AF is 46”. I’m gettin the best numbers with a 1 gram weight in the back that I changed and the original 10 gram weight towards the face. It is D2. I have definitely found effortless power swinging smooth with good tempo. I’m excited to try this out tomorrow. I play this course 100 rounds a year so I’m very interested to see where my ball winds up with the high temperature only being 52. My average swing speed is 113 with a Ventus black 7x. Decided to take the plunge because I was having a hard time feeling the club load. I have hit on the range several days in a row to try and get the weights correct. Regardless of the results tomorrow I can say that three days in a row of hitting driver would have left me exhausted. Nope, I’m ready to go tomorrow. I’ll let you know what I find out. Thank you all for your posts. They have been very beneficial for a golf nerd like me.

A smooth tempo is for sure needed to get the most out of this shaft. Personally, I use a G425 max with the standard weights in place. Stripe the thing all day long. If you havent yet, try the stock weights as intended. I experimented with lighter weights, but it was not until I went with the standard setup that I had real success. 

• 8 months later...
On 2/21/2022 at 9:21 AM, edingc said:

I've spent some time over the past couple of days watching/reading what I can about these graphs, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm really looking at. 🤣 Supposedly these are useful...

Would love to get an update on your experience with the Autoflex and/or changing from the Autoflex.  It appears from your signature and from the linked "fitting post" that you've changed from Autoflex to Motore.  That was surprising to me from just reading through this thread.  Can you share that process (the reason for the change)?  If you already have elsewhere, feel free to point me to it.  Thanks.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus, :Fuji: Ventus TR Black Velocore 6X.
3W: :taylormade-small: Sim Max, :accra: FX 2.0 200 M3.
3I-PW: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Pro, :Fuji: Axiom Velocore 105 X.
Wedges: 47*, 51*, 55*, 59*: Edison Forged Wedges, Mitsubishi MMT 125g TX.
Putter: :L.A.B.:  DF 2.1
Current Ball:  2022 Chromesoft X as recommended for me by :ping-small: Ballnamic system (highly recommended).
Previous Balls:  Z-Star Divide, Pro V1, Maxfli Tour, TM TP5 Pix, Pro V1x, Vice Pro Soft, Cut Blue ... (See Why!)
Accessories: Shoes: Asics Gel-Kayano Ace (Greatest golf shoes on the planet). Watch: Garmin Approach S60. Glove: Kirkland Signature.  Bag: MNML. 
Cart: Foresight Sports ForeCaddy Smart Cart (Unofficial Review).
Previous MGS Tester for: Kid Caddie

17 hours ago, vamosjackets said:

Would love to get an update on your experience with the Autoflex and/or changing from the Autoflex.  It appears from your signature and from the linked "fitting post" that you've changed from Autoflex to Motore.  That was surprising to me from just reading through this thread.  Can you share that process (the reason for the change)?  If you already have elsewhere, feel free to point me to it.  Thanks.

Couple of things that I can say here:

• When I was on with the AutoFlex, it was amazing. And I do think it was longer than my Motore X speed-for-speed. But when I was off, it was terrible.
  • My swing speed increased a bit from the time I bought the AutoFlex to the time I was fit for the Motore X. I should have gotten the 505XX and not the 505X, but at the time I was right on the fence between the two. As a result, I started spinning the ball too much on mishits.
  • I don't generally hang onto things very long, though I have tempered my club ho'ing somewhat. I sold the AutoFlex for a small loss and used that to put toward my new irons and the driver shaft I was fit for in that post.

I'm going to tag @revkev here because I believe he had a very similar experience, when the AF was good, it was very good, but when it was not, it was really bad.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

47 minutes ago, edingc said:

Couple of things that I can say here:

• When I was on with the AutoFlex, it was amazing. And I do think it was longer than my Motore X speed-for-speed. But when I was off, it was terrible.
  • My swing speed increased a bit from the time I bought the AutoFlex to the time I was fit for the Motore X. I should have gotten the 505XX and not the 505X, but at the time I was right on the fence between the two. As a result, I started spinning the ball too much on mishits.
  • I don't generally hang onto things very long, though I have tempered my club ho'ing somewhat. I sold the AutoFlex for a small loss and used that to put toward my new irons and the driver shaft I was fit for in that post.

I'm going to tag @revkev here because I believe he had a very similar experience, when the AF was good, it was very good, but when it was not, it was really bad.

That's an Amen from me - we've done some remodeling in our home and I'm sitting in my den which is currently being called the golf room - I can see my auto flex sitting right over there - I'm remembering the bombs that I hit with it and they were bombs for me.  But I like the security and consistency of the Diamana that I'm currently gaming in my Stealth 2 - I need to update my bag - and I hit one over 250 on the range today.  That's pretty dog gone good for me at sea level.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 months later...
On 10/27/2022 at 12:15 AM, pbclubdude said:

A smooth tempo is for sure needed to get the most out of this shaft. Personally, I use a G425 max with the standard weights in place. Stripe the thing all day long. If you havent yet, try the stock weights as intended. I experimented with lighter weights, but it was not until I went with the standard setup that I had real success. 

I have a G425 max head and an auto flex on the way.  I’m glad to hear that the standard set up works well for you.  I was going to go buy lighter weights but I’m just going to give the standard set up a try.  

Tobybtlr 

On 9/21/2023 at 1:54 AM, tobybtlr said:

I have a G425 max head and an auto flex on the way.  I’m glad to hear that the standard set up works well for you.  I was going to go buy lighter weights but I’m just going to give the standard set up a try.  

I am plying it at 46 inches, cut from the butt end only. I have a Midsize CPX grip on it. Easiest club to hit in the bag. 

After reading his buying of the AutoFlex and the adjustment he made to find what worked the best makes me think you might find the same results with a much much cheaper shaft, head combo. $800 for a shaft is what a tour pro would put into play not a weekend golfer. Side note the pro will get his for free