Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Grand Geneva - The Brute

Matt Saternus

Grand Geneva – The Brute

the brute (5).JPG

Introduction

Originally known as The Playboy Club (yes, that Playboy), The Grand Geneva Resort is located in southern Wisconsin, only a little more than an hour from Chicago. The resort offers skiing, a spa, a hotel, and many other amenities, but you didn't come to MyGolfSpy to read about that…you came for the golf! So let's dive right into my first official MyGolfSpy Course Review of The Brute at Grand Geneva.

*I strongly suggest that readers check out my Course Review Rubric before reading further. I think that the reader will get more from the review if they understand what a score of ___/10 means to me in a given category.

Amenities

Grand Geneva offers a nicely appointed pro shop with some clubs in addition to shirts, shoes, etc. The restaurant in the clubhouse, which doubles as the halfway house for the Brute, features a menu of good golf course grub and, more importantly, they keep a nice beer selection on tap. The drink cart is fully stocked, and it visited us no less than four times during the round.

The one amenity that truly sets Grand Geneva apart is the GPS system they employ on their carts. It is far and away the best GPS I have ever seen on a cart. First of all, it measures distances to the pin, not just front, middle, and back of the green. Second, it offers quality overviews of the hole with yardages to anything that you could want. Finally, and this is the real kicker, each hole has a flyover video that plays when you pull up to the hole. This shows you all of the things that you might not be able to see from the tee box and makes the course much more fair and playable for the first timer. The GPS system at Grand Geneva puts it over the top for a perfect 10/10.

Score: 10/10

the brute (7).JPG

the brute (10).JPG

Course Conditions

The Brute fits my 9/10 description to a T: “Think of the best condition public course you've ever played.” Given that it gets a solid number of rounds, there are going to be a few ball marks and unfilled divots, but outside of that, the conditioning of the course was superb. The greens were very smooth and perfectly consistent from hole to hole (it pains me to say that given the way I putted, but it's true). I did not notice a single uneven tee box on the course, the fairways were smooth, and the bunkers were well maintained with nice fluffy sand.

Score: 9/10

the brute (14).JPG

Beauty/Scenery

While playing The Brute, I commented to my playing partner, “People who are not from the Midwest really miss out on Wisconsin.” I think Wisconsin's beauty is one of the Midwest's best kept secrets, and The Brute really puts that on display. Water, elevation, and just enough guidance from the grounds crew make this course a place you would happily spend 4 hours…or 8, if you're ambitious. The keepers of The Brute have wisely kept all roads, houses, condos, etc, out of sight of the players so that nothing intrudes on The Brute's vistas. Again, a near-perfect 9.

the brute (3).JPG

Customer Service

The staff at the Grand Geneva met any and all reasonable expectations for service in a very professional way. When we pulled into the resort the first time, we were a bit lost, and a member of the staff kindly guided us to the appropriate parking lot. The starter, cart attendant, and food service staff were all very friendly as well. While I don't have a single real complaint about the service, it was not remarkable either.

Score: 8.5/10

the brute (6).JPG

the brute (8).JPG

Practice Facilities

The Grand Geneva offers a full driving range, a very large putting green (one of the largest I've ever seen, in fact), and a small green for chipping and pitch shots. Overall it's a very nice facility, though I will nitpick on a couple points: depending on the day, the range is either steeply uphill or downhill. I have a strong preference for flat ranges so that you can more accurately judge the distance that the ball is going. My only other nitpick is that I could see the short game area getting very crowded on a weekend; only two or three golfers can reasonably use the area without it becoming dangerous. Don't let these issues confuse the point: there is no reason to walk to the first tee cold. The putting green's speed is very consistent with the greens on the course, and the practice area as a whole is above average. It's also worth noting that the practice area is located conveniently between the two courses, about a minute from either first tee.

Score: 8.5/10

the brute (1).JPG

the brute (2).JPG

Accessibility to All Skill Levels

The Brute can be played at lengths of almost 7,100 yards, 6,500 yards, or 5,200 yards. While this offers a nice range, I would love to see one more set of tee boxes around 6,000 yards. This need was evidenced by my playing partner who had some difficulty playing the middle tees, but likely would have been bored and/or embarrassed playing the forward tees. That said, I give the superintendent a lot of credit for setting up the course intelligently: we played on a day when the course was a bit wet and a little windy, and all the markers were moved short of the score card yardages.

With that one gripe out of the way, I will say that the course is a great deal of fun. The trouble areas are very clearly in front of you, and it's up to you to avoid them. There are very few long forced carries, and, in fact, the longer hitter may have more tough choices than the shorter hitter. Overall, I would not hesitate to bring all levels of golfer to The Brute.

the brute (9).JPG

Difficulty

Is there anything worse than hitting a career shot only to find it in a hidden hazard? I can tell you that that will not happen at The Brute. While the course definitely has its share of challenges, they are laid out in front of you. Also, with the stellar GPS system in the cart, there is no excuse for being ignorant of the hole's design.

Score: 10/10

the brute (12).JPG

Variety

This is a really important category for me in terms of enjoying a round of golf, and it is one of The Brute's strongest characteristics. Thinking back on my round, I can't recall any two tee shots that were the same, and I hit a wide variety of shots into the greens. Similarly, the par 3's are all quite unique. My only tiny reservation is that three of the four par 5's play fairly similarly in that the approach is a forced carry to an elevated green. While the course doesn't lack for interesting risk/reward opportunities, I missed having the opportunity to go for it on the par 5's. That said, The Brute has set the bar very high for shot variety.

Score: 9.5/10

Value

Ah, Value, my least favorite category. Since I wrote the rubric, you'd think I'd just get rid of this category altogether, but I do think it's important to talk about even if it is a pain to write.

During peak season, The Brute commands a greens fee of $155 which drops down to $85 in the fall and a mere $55 for “Play All Day” privileges after October 17. That said, Grand Geneva is a full service resort that focuses more on packages that include staying in the hotel, the spa, etc. While these packages are too numerous and various to list, I will say that there are some great values to be had.

One strong mark in favor of Grand Geneva is that there is no nickel and diming for the little stuff (a MAJOR pet peeve of this golf spy). Go to the range and hit all the balls you want, no extra charge. No extra charge for the cart, either.

In the final evaluation, I don't know that I'd be in a hurry to pay $155 to play The Brute again, but you can bet your last dollar that I'll be there every day that I can for $55 unlimited play in late October. I think the $85 rate in the fall hits the nail on the head just perfectly given the quality of the course conditions and the beauty of the course. Also, the packages deals are very good.

Memorability

In this writer's humble opinion, The Brute is a very memorable course because it has a very clear personality: BIG. Big sand traps, big greens, big water hazards. And I like it. My playing partner and I both left The Brute wanting to play again, and spent the drive back recalling favorite shots, holes, and features. To me, that is the hallmark of a memorable course.

Conclusion

With a score of 91.5, The Brute has set the bar very high for the courses that will follow. The Brute offers just about everything a golfer could want: a beautiful setting, outstanding course conditions, and a wide variety of strategic and shot making options. For anyone in the Chicago-land area looking to step away from their normal course, or for people from anywhere looking for a great place to spend a weekend, Grand Geneva and The Brute definitely deserve a look.

Score: 91.5/100

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 11 months later...

Late to the party but wanted to add my 2 cents since I just came back from the grand Geneva and had a chance to play both courses. Highlands were nice but for the green fees, I'd rather drive a few miles west and hit up the Trevino course at Geneva national. It's the least memorable of the 3 there but a great value and on par with the highlands, if not better. Had four different tee boxes there and I played from the whites. Should have played from the blues since the course seemed very short from the whites. Great opening hole but didn't remember much else.

Now the Brute, man what a course. Worth every single penny. If your not that long of a hitter than I'd definitely stick with the middle tees to make your round much more enjoyable. The blues are excruciating long and if you don't hit your driver 280+ and accurate, then you will be hitting 5 irons or more every second shot. The fairways on a lot of the holes are very narrow as well. Greens are lightening fast. My idiot self left my putter at home and had to borrow from the clubhouse and man, 2 putts were extremely challenging at the times since there's never any flat surface. Overall, I'll definitely go back when I have a chance.

Stayed the night as well and the accommodations were good. Beds were a little too mushy for my taster but can't really complain. Even had a tv in the mirror of the bathroom. Lakeside views are a plus as well. If you have a chance, definitely try and visit.

Driver - 9.5 Cobra Amp, 9.5 Bridgestone J40 430

3 Wood -Royal Collection JP104

3 Hybrid - Royal Collection JP104

Irons - Onoff forged

Wedges - 50, 56, 60 Royal Collection Dual Bite BK

Putter - Yamada Shogun

I used to play that course once a year when I lived in Wisconsin. Great course and at $55 is really is a steal.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

That GPS is slick.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

That GPS is slick.

Sure is but now I remember why I like a rangefinder with slope (yes I know it isn't legal) function. Don't remember exactly but either the 15th or 16th hole had a severe upslope to the green and I decided to go 2 clubs up. Big mistake. There was a sever drop off if you went long and nothing but wild bushes behind. I couldn't believe it when I got up there and couldn't find my ball. Led to a miserable quadruple since my chip was too long and then 3 putted again..theme of the day. Loved the challenge though.

Irons - Onoff forged

Putter - Yamada Shogun

Ruckus, thanks for the thoughts. I haven't been to Geneva National, but I've heard good things. The Brute is definitely a great course.

If you have a chance, definitely go. Lots of elevated tee boxes and hills. Will definitely try amend make a trip again to play the player and Palmer courses. Heard those were a lot better than the Trevino but the Trevino is one nice course as well. I believe the green fees are cheaper as well although you do have to pay for the range..unlike the Grand Geneva.

Irons - Onoff forged

Putter - Yamada Shogun

I know that this review is a year old but I have to tell you it brings back great memories. When my son was playing High School football in Wisconsin his team had a game about fifteen minutes from the resort. Three of the football dads and I spent a day on the links at the Brute and then the evening watching the football game. Loved the course but the funny thing was that as we arrived at the field there was this monsterously big kid in warm ups for the other school - I said, "I hope that's not the guy who will be blocking John all night." It was and the guy had a full boat lined up to UW - John played outside linebacker at 5'10" 195 - this guy was 6'4" 285 - it was a long, long evening for my lad let me tell you. :) :) :)

Oh I shot in the mid 70's at the Brute - can't recall the tees that we played - not the tips, probably the next set back - it was in great shape - perfect late summer day in Wisconsin.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Shoot, this is only about 30 min from where I grew up. May need to play that sometime when I go back to my parents' house. I can get to Grand Geneva in just a couple of minutes too if I fly into their little airport.

I may have just talked myself into it.

By the way, my home course here in Minnesota where I currently live has the exact same GPS in the carts. EXCELLENT GPS. Yet usually I'm walking.

Paul

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

Loved the course but the funny thing was that as we arrived at the field there was this monsterously big kid in warm ups for the other school - I said, "I hope that's not the guy who will be blocking John all night." It was and the guy had a full boat lined up to UW - John played outside linebacker at 5'10" 195 - this guy was 6'4" 285 - it was a long, long evening for my lad let me tell you. :) :) :)

LOL...sounds like a typical UW lineman. They recuit 'em big up north, part of why UW is known for being a NFL lineman factory.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Archived