Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Mizzy JPX EZ anyone...?

therod

Mizuno isn't known for designing the most attractive SGI irons on the block. But I've always liked how their clubs looked, just couldn't ever really afford to take a chance. Well I got an insane bonus at work, and I might have some play money. So has anyone played the Mizuno JPX EZs? Doing a little research, the online equipment reviewers look down on them, mostly because they don't look like the typical Mizuno clubs, not that they play poorly. But a little more research also reveals that their MOI # is sky high. No, they don't look like typical Mizuno gamers. But when I'm pulling the trigger and launching little dimpled projectiles, how the club looks doesn't matter, only that the ball goes somewhere near where I'm trying to send it. Given the high MOI of the EZ, I'm thinking about giving them a try. Just looking for anyone that might have some experience with them.

I’d agree the various JPX EZ iterations are ungainly looking, but the last several JPX9xx Hot Metals have been better looking than most SGI makes/models IMO. I gather you don’t want anything new...

1573391692067.png
f800e6a20bd88c2432b825ad91db6890.jpg

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I actually don't mind the last EZ model, it's not at all unattractive to me. My reason for looking at the EZ line is simply MOI. The MOI on the EZ irons is sky high. The 825s aren't far behind. But I can probably get a better deal on the EZs than the 825s or the more recent models. It's largely a financial decision. While I have a few dollars to play with, my funds also aren't unlimited...

I had a set of the JPX EZ Forged. Got a great deal on them and ended up selling them to a friend after I got my Ping e1 set. 
From what I recall here are a few notes to pass along. The feel was not like a typical forged club, but still smooth and decent sounding. They also had great distance and consistency. Loved loved the soul of the club, was kinda rounded off both the front and back edges and proved phenominal turf interaction that was much slimmer then the Ping e1 irons. The finish wasn't amazing and faded, but still in the bag were a good looking club. Now here comes the not so great, the top line even though they tried to edge it back was thick and the main reason why I didn't keep them. They just didnt suit my eye, although where it really got to me was the shorter irons, they just looked really big and well chunky. Again thats a looks thing so everyone is different. They are smaller and therefore to me much more appealing then the normal EZ's. Finally again this is personal, but the shaft I had just didn't get along with me. They were off the rack and I am sure I different shaft may have helped, pretty sure its was the XP 95's which I don't get along with. 
Anyway there were a lot of things I liked about them, but some of the asthetics just kinda weren't my cup of tea. The performance was great and my friend has had some of his best rounds ever with them, hes around a 8 or 9 handicap and loves them. 
I have some comparisons photos in my Ping i210 review here that may be worth checking out if youre interested. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Gonna be a bit difficult to find a set as they have been out of production for about 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Even Vosh admits that the JPX EZ is something everyone at Mizuno wants to forget about. 

There’s a reason it doesn’t exist anymore 

The JPX Hot Metal is superior in both looks and performance 

I can’t say enough good things about my hot metals. The performance for a game improvement is fantastic, the price point is decent also for the product 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I've been able to help a few buddies out to find a good set of clubs after getting into the game more and moving from a box set or cheaper set of clubs.  Both times, I was able to find these for a nice deal - I think around $200 - $225 for a set with specs that would fit them pretty well and good condition. 

Both players have loved them thus far.  To put some context, one guy was around a 20 handicap and the other was probably a 35 handicap when getting the clubs.  The latter, played a lot more last season and was able to get his handicap down to around 22.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

• 4 weeks later...

I had a set of JPX EZ Forged.  They were the brown ones.  I thought they looked much better than the others.  They played pretty well too, although I don't really remember the details of how they played.  

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Flash Driver & 3W

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Flash 2H

:srixon-small: ZX 3U

:cleveland-small: Cobra F7 4-5H

:mizuno-small: MP-32 3-PW OR :srixon-small:Z745 5-PW

:srixon-small: AW 51

:ping-small: 2.0 Glide Stealth 55 & 60

:ping-small: B60 Putter

I bought a set for a friend who just started playing. Too big for my liking, but for a beginner it really didn't matter.

They were consistent and very forgiving, but also felt kind of clicky. The stocks shaft is also something I personally wouldn't play.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 2 weeks later...

Had a hire set of these once and they played and felt great!

Driver: Titleist TSi2 10 / Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue Raw 65 S

3 Wood: Titleist TSi3 15 / Project X RDX Smoke Black 70 6.0

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 18 / Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Red 7 S

4 Iron: Titleist U500 / Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85 S

5 - 9 Irons: Mizuno 921 Tour / Nippon Modus 3 120 S

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 46F, 50F, 54S & 58M / Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Select (2016) / BGT Stability Tour

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV