Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Shaft flex confusion.

End of last year I was recently fitted for a new driver and advised I needed an X-stiff shaft, which I ordered and so far so good. The rest of my clubs are stiff shaft and I haven't really had any issues or inconsistencies like I did with my stiff shafted driver. I need to purchase a hybrid club as I currently have a big gap in my bag between 5 iron and 3 wood. I dont know if i should be going x-stiff or stiff, due to covid lockdowns I am unable to go an be fitted in time. I do swing alot harder with my driver than I do the rest of the bag, and I havent had an issue with my irons being a stiff shaft. Whats other peoples experience? Do you tend to keep the same shaft flex throughout the bag or is it common to have a stiffer shaft in the driver?

Thanks

:callaway-small:, Driver, Mavrik Max 10.5*, Aldila rouge white 60, XS flex

:mizuno-small:, 3 Wood, MX-700, S flex

:callaway-small:, 4 Hybrid, Mavrik Max, S flex

:Sub70: , 5-PW 699 Pro, KBS Tour S flex

:titelist-small:, Wedges, Vokey, 52*, 56*, 60*

:odyssey-small:, Putter, Stroke Lab Black #7

:titleist-small:, Pro V1

There is no shaft standards so an x in one shaft my feel like a stiff in another - especially if your swing speed is on the border of the traditional stiff/x range

i swing around 115 and have xstiff through the bag

Ian Fraser at TXG swings around 116mph and plays x stiff in his woods and stiff in his irons

There are no absolutes 

1 minute ago, jlukes said:

There is no shaft standards so an x in one shaft my feel like a stiff in another - especially if your swing speed is on the border of the traditional stiff/x range

Do you happen to know your driver swing speed?

Just logged onto the forseight sports performance site to check from my driver fitting. The slowest swing speed was 114.9mph and the fastest was 118.4mph, 

16 minutes ago, benb1989 said:

Just logged onto the forseight sports performance site to check from my driver fitting. The slowest swing speed was 114.9mph and the fastest was 118.4mph, 

Definitely look to be xstiff across the board as a safe bet. 

What driver shaft were you fit into?

do you have and specific hybrids/shafts you’re looking at?

14 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Definitely look to be xstiff across the board as a safe bet. 

What driver shaft were you fit into?

do you have and specific hybrids/shafts you’re looking at?

An Aldila rouge white 130. 

I dont, but I am now thinking I will just have to wait and get a fitting booked for once lockdown allows. Frustrating because I am playing a course I have wanted to play for years once lockdown is lifted in a couple of weeks. I will just have to play the course without a hybrid. 

Thank you for your help

Edited by benb1989

I am stiff in irons. Soft stepped xstiff in hybrid. Stiff with Tensi orange pro SH and stiff but tipped 1” Tensei orange pro for driver. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Stiff across the board. Pretty similar with shaft preference in woods and irons with a softer handle. With that swing speed it does seem like the xstiff vs stiff. Do you have any swing faults or ball flight tendencies with your old driver setup? @benb1989

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

End of last year I was recently fitted for a new driver and advised I needed an X-stiff shaft, which I ordered and so far so good. The rest of my clubs are stiff shaft and I haven't really had any issues or inconsistencies like I did with my stiff shafted driver. I need to purchase a hybrid club as I currently have a big gap in my bag between 5 iron and 3 wood. I dont know if i should be going x-stiff or stiff, due to covid lockdowns I am unable to go an be fitted in time. I do swing alot harder with my driver than I do the rest of the bag, and I havent had an issue with my irons being a stiff shaft. Whats other peoples experience? Do you tend to keep the same shaft flex throughout the bag or is it common to have a stiffer shaft in the driver?

Thanks

What’s your 7 iron swing speed? I swing my driver close to all out,(116-118mph) but try and keep my iron swing below 94. Any faster/harder and I start pulling shots dead left. My driver is a tour stiff, and so is my 3 wood, but my driving iron(Hzrdus smoke) and my AP3’s are just stiff, 6.0 project x.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

57 minutes ago, Micah T said:

What’s your 7 iron swing speed? I swing my driver close to all out,(116-118mph) but try and keep my iron swing below 94. Any faster/harder and I start pulling shots dead left. My driver is a tour stiff, and so is my 3 wood, but my driving iron(Hzrdus smoke) and my AP3’s are just stiff, 6.0 project x.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I don't know, the only time I've used any sort of launch monitor I've used with my irons is the trackman at my local range and looking at the app the ball speed is between 112-115mph. Not sure what that relates to in swing speed. I don't feel I swing my irons as fast on the course though. I try to be more controlled 

1 hour ago, RollingGreens said:

Stiff across the board. Pretty similar with shaft preference in woods and irons with a softer handle. With that swing speed it does seem like the xstiff vs stiff. Do you have any swing faults or ball flight tendencies with your old driver setup? @benb1989

My old driver setup was massively inconsistent. Ball flight was always high, but would be just as likely to go right as it would left, the fitter was adamant the shaft was a big issue. Since I've changed it's been much more consistent, although because of these lockdowns I've not used it much

If you are going to swing your hybrid like your irons, go with stiff. Also, if your 3 wood is stiff I would do the same with the hybrid.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Just for perspective I play an X in all but row wedges. My 5 wood has S on the shaft but by CPMs is well into the X flex range. The standards by manufacturer are all over the board so play what works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond