Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

G425 Max Driver, why no love?

RSS

On 4/6/2021 at 6:39 AM, dolleris said:

This - main reason for me returning mine. Also, it feels somewhat head-heavier compared to the 400 Max,  I had previously

Funny, yesterday on the course I noticed how much I like the sound of mine.  Lower pitched than a lot of other drivers I have had.  Caveat:  my upper frequency hearing is for crap.  Maybe I just can't hear the pitches that others find irritating with this driver.

I find the G425 Max fits my swing a little better than the G400 Max I had been playing.  But, the shaft is different and the 425 has more useful adjustments (moveable weight, more loft/lie options).

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I would give up 20 yards off every tee if I knew I would be in the short grass. Think of it this way would you give back 10 or 20 yards if you could place the ball in the fairway to make your second shot? I would............ I am just back to playing after my 4th back fusion.  I Just want to be playing; and not having to hit backwards back into the fairway from behind a tree or off some pine straw or all the other places that are not in the short grass........ Life  is good!!

WITB... never ending tinkerer so ya there's that.

I would give up 20 yards off every tee if I knew I would be in the short grass. Think of it this way would you give back 10 or 20 yards if you could place the ball in the fairway to make your second shot? I would............ I am just back to playing after my 4th back fusion.  I Just want to be playing; and not having to hit backwards back into the fairway from behind a tree or off some pine straw or all the other places that are not in the short grass........ Life  is good!!

I used to think this as well but the more I learn about strokes gained and course strategy the more I realize i want 20 yards even if I am in the rough. Being behind a tree is either that you need to work in the driver swing or you are picking a bad target.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I used to think this as well but the more I learn about strokes gained and course strategy the more I realize i want 20 yards even if I am in the rough. Being behind a tree is either that you need to work in the driver swing or you are picking a bad target.

Yup. Lot easier hitting a 7i into a green than a 5i. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

It got no love from me.  I took it on the course for a trial run.  I hit my Ping G400 Max better (definitely longer and dispersion was similar).  It sounded awful, to boot.  I also did not like it as much as a Cobra RadSpeed and a Callaway Epic Speed that I also played on the course on different days.   That being said, it doesn't mean that it isn't the right driver for you (or others).  Sounds as if you tested it on a launch monitor and it performed better than the others you tested.  Accept the information.  Enjoy your club and hit it long and well.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Completely agree and the data doesn't lie.

This is a big reason why I went to a 45.5" driver.  First, at 6'2", looking at how I address the ball, that length club doesn't look silly.  Secondly, my misses weren't nearly bad enough to force myself into a shorter length club.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I disagree, I still say if you have a driver that keeps you in play in the short grass and for the sake of argument lets call that where the ball can be seen or something as opposed to having to go after a ball in heavy, thick, deep, what ever you want to call it, I would take the ball 10 or 20 yards back and a clean contact on the ball. I have yet to play from behind a tree or rocks or another hazard when landing in the short grass. A nice clean 6 iron off the fairway instead of a 7 or 8 out of rough works much better for me and the conditions I play in. 

WITB... never ending tinkerer so ya there's that.

I have had the 425 Max in the bag for about 8 rounds now and a couple hundred range balls. This driver is seriously a game changer for me. I am good for 50-70% fairways now. The key for me is the mis hits. The punishment is drastically reduced with the 425 Max compared to the other tested (SIM2, Cobra RAD, Callaway). 

Ultimately when it comes to playing the game, getting the score down and just being overall happy with results on the course, the 425 Max is hands down doing it for me! The shafts all produced similar results, but the feel of the Rogue White loading and at impact felt the best for me.

PING G435 MAX 9* Rogue White

PING 425 3 Wood 14.5*

Tensei OrangeTitleist u510 3 Iron HZRDUS Black

Titleist T100s P-6 / T200 5,4 Modus3 105 

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Taylormade Spider EX

It’s all in how you hit them mate. I loved my g400 LST for years until I hit a mavrik. Picking up 20-30 yards with the same accuracy made it a no brainer for me. But when I tried the get a mavrik 3-wood to keep that going, it lost out hard to the cobra sz, which was also much cheaper. But I wanted that Mav so bad. But, the cobra is in my bag, because it was longer and more accurate... 

Accuracy is good, but 20-30 yards per hole add up to shorter shots in.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

At my last fitting just over a week ago, There was no difference in distance between the my 410 and a 425. Think I'll wait for the 4XX to come out. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Adding to the page 3 love: I am seeing places on the course I never used to with my 410 LST. My 425 Max is 10-15 yards longer and more forgiving than the 410 LST. Everybody’s mileage varies- mine had been great with the 425 Max. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

I wanted the Ping G425 to win a spot in my bag. It was close, but the Sim 2 was what my fitting showed me was the best for my game. It’s funny I was reading the comments, and I noticed a lot of folks found that the Sim Max we right biased, and that was what my fitting showed me. I will be honest the reason the Sim 2 won out was because it was offered in an 8 degree head. The Sim was a little longer, spun less, and honestly with the shaft they dialed in my only miss was power fade to a cut. I will say that I personally feel the reason the Sim won was because the fitter truly worked the head and shaft combos until he got it dialed in. With the Ping demo day fitting, I seemed more like a number and they rushed the process. I assume it was because my numbers were bad, but the results were not what I mentioned looking for when we started the fitting. In the end I went with the Sim 2 8 degree head with the Fujikura Pro 2.0 tour spec in the 6.5, playing at 45”, and I rarely miss a fairway with that setup. I will admit it’s not the longest shaft and head combo that tried when searching for a new boom stick, but it was the longest with the best dispersion that I liked the feel and look of. I am currently debating trying the new TSI metals as my buddy who has always been a loyal Taylormade guy can’t stop raving about them. I’ve never really had any allegiance to a brand, but I play what works for me. I wanted to love the PXG stuff, and I will say their irons and wedges I loved, but their drivers were another story. Ping has always been my go driver since the G20 days, but their last few offerings couldn’t beat our the Callaway Epic, or the Sim 2, and even the PXG Proto was in my bag for a bit. I wouldn’t worry about the press, or reviews on the clubs. Try it if you love it, and it works for you then roll with it. The reason their are so many different equipment companies is because all of our swings are different, crap my swing is different from day to day. Like my profile pic that was a day where I couldn’t find the fairway off the tee (consequently the last day the PxG Proto was in the bag too,) sideways and the face shows the distress I was having. Yet I still had fun, and enjoyed the game. I try different things club and shaft wise just to see if something else is what the reviews and too I guys in the forum say. Sometimes I’m like this thing is on fire, and others I wonder what kind of smoke they were inhaling from the fire. I like to tinker with my equipment and game just to see if I can find any extra from my equipment or swing. Enjoy the 425, it’s a great club, and as long as it works for you who cares about the press.   

I'm also a high handicapper with a slow swing and was fitted into a Ping 425sft. 

I'm absolutely loving this club. I'm finding the fairways much more often with this club and even most of my misses are in play. The more I play this club, the more confidence I have and am loving my decision to get it. The forgiveness on off center and toe hits is amazing. 

I tried the Sim2 max and Epic Max, both seem like great clubs, but the Ping just feels better to me and is much more consistent and accurate with my goofy swing.

Edited by Rex_D

Bag: Ping 425 sft, tour edge Hl4 irons, XXIO 3 wood, 20 year old Nike putter

• 1 year later...