G425 Max Driver, why no love?

RSS

From what I have read the 425 Max just doesn't perform any better than the 410 Max so there may be a lot of Ping players that figure there is really no reason to buy the newest model (Myself included). On the accuracy front, personally, I'd always prefer to be in the fairway and short as opposed to in the rough or OB long...

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus Driver, Ping Tour 173-65 Regular

:ping-small: G410 5 wood, Ping Tour 173-65 Regular

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 3 Iron, Alta CB 70 Regular

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-LW Project X LZ 5.5

:scotty-small:   Phantom X 12

:titelist-small: Pro V1x Yellow

:Arccos:

21 minutes ago, jp0319 said:

From what I have read the 425 Max just doesn't perform any better than the 410 Max so there may be a lot of Ping players that figure there is really no reason to buy the newest model (Myself included). On the accuracy front, personally, I'd always prefer to be in the fairway and short as opposed to in the rough or OB long...

A good many argue the G410 offered no improvement over the G400. PING is well known for being rather self limiting in the hype game. Their advertising shows small improvements in hitting data performance and I tend to believe it accurate.  If only we could conduct controlled tests (and blind were that possible), with a couple hundred players across the range of skillset...

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

11 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

A good many argue the G410 offered no improvement over the G400. PING is well known for being rather self limiting in the hype game. Their advertising shows small improvements in hitting data performance and I tend to believe it accurate.  If only we could conduct controlled tests (and blind were that possible), with a couple hundred players across the range of skillset...

I agree, but usually Ping waits longer to come out with new versions for this reason. It surprised me when they came out with the 425 on the heels of the 410 because of the incremental improvement nature of their releases...

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus Driver, Ping Tour 173-65 Regular

:ping-small: G410 5 wood, Ping Tour 173-65 Regular

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 3 Iron, Alta CB 70 Regular

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-LW Project X LZ 5.5

:scotty-small:   Phantom X 12

:titelist-small: Pro V1x Yellow

:Arccos:

Just now, jp0319 said:

I agree, but usually Ping waits longer to come out with new versions for this reason. It surprised me when they came out with the 425 on the heels of the 410 because of the incremental improvement nature of their releases...

Ping has an 18-24 month cycle that has been standard for a long time so the g;25 wasn’t on the heels of the 410 but in the normal product cycle release.

They also redesigned the moveable weight in the g425 based on fitting information around the g410. 

In most driver releases from the various brands year to year releases don’t always yield what most consider significant improvements. 

• Like 4

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 weeks later...

I just switched from a GBB EPIC to a PING G425 Max and noticed a massive difference. I hit way more fairways and the difference between a good strike and a bad strike with the PING is minimal. The GBB EPIC though, majority of my bad strikes were OB. I am a high a high handicap player too, and hitting fairways are more important to me. Make sure you get a good hybrid you can flush, and that can make up any distance you may get with another driver on those longer holes. 

• Like 5

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:callaway-small: Hybrids: 4 & 5 Epic Flash, 2* lofted up
:callaway-small: Irons:  5 Rogue X, 6 - AW Rogue 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 54*S, 58*K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1995 Newport
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

Ping has to figure out how to fix the sound. How could they go so far backwards in sound from the g400 series?? I just can't listen to the G425 Max and there are a lot of driver companies making incredible drivers that have figured it out. 

• Like 3

My bag is a revolving door!

13 hours ago, 03trdblack said:

Ping has to figure out how to fix the sound. How could they go so far backwards in sound from the g400 series?? I just can't listen to the G425 Max and there are a lot of driver companies making incredible drivers that have figured it out. 

This - main reason for me returning mine. Also, it feels somewhat head-heavier compared to the 400 Max,  I had previously

• Like 1

My current bag: PING G400Max, G400 3 and 5 woods, G400 hybrid, Srixon Z565 5-PW, TM MG wedges, Yes! Tracy III+ putter 

I just switched from a GBB EPIC to a PING G425 Max and noticed a massive difference. I hit way more fairways and the difference between a good strike and a bad strike with the PING is minimal. The GBB EPIC though, majority of my bad strikes were OB. I am a high a high handicap player too, and hitting fairways are more important to me. Make sure you get a good hybrid you can flush, and that can make up any distance you may get with another driver on those longer holes. 

Same for me with the epic; the bad shots were just incredibly bad. I switched to the 410+ , then the LST this year.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

• 2 weeks later...

We had a Ping fitting event at the course last Saturday. I compared my G400 Max vs the G425 Max. Both were very straight, and the 425 was slightly longer, and I mean 3-5 yards longer. Not enough of a difference to spend $500. 

• Like 1

It's different strokes for different folks always -  I couldn't care less about the sound of anything - I played my best golf ever with a totally unexpected driver that I ended up being fit for - it was uglier than death and sounded worse - some iteration of Mizuno driver about 10 years ago.  Looked like a pancake, sounded worse and hit the ball 245 down the middle of the fairway with a slight draw every single time.  Never had to practice with it, just pulled it out of the bag on the 2nd tee (1 was always a hybrid for me then - pre every stroke counts) and off I went with it - played to a 1 or less for two seasons - then I gained weight, got sick and lost over 10 MPH in swing speed that I've been chasing ever since

TruFit identified the 425 Max as the best driver for me this season - we shall see - I do think it's significant that the data from my current gamer - the 410 LST would have been in that mix.  I would consider $500 for 5 functional yards because it would actually be less than that with my trade in - I'd keep the LST and trade the 410 Max that I have.  Since the G30 Ping drivers have consistently been the best choice for my swing - that doesn't mean they are for everyone but whatever they do in design seems to work for the way I deliver the club to the ball.  If it works I get used to the sound/feel.

• Like 3

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

On 4/6/2021 at 6:39 AM, dolleris said:

This - main reason for me returning mine. Also, it feels somewhat head-heavier compared to the 400 Max,  I had previously

Funny, yesterday on the course I noticed how much I like the sound of mine.  Lower pitched than a lot of other drivers I have had.  Caveat:  my upper frequency hearing is for crap.  Maybe I just can't hear the pitches that others find irritating with this driver.

I find the G425 Max fits my swing a little better than the G400 Max I had been playing.  But, the shaft is different and the 425 has more useful adjustments (moveable weight, more loft/lie options).

• Like 1

14 of the following:

Ping G400 Max

Cobra King F9 Speedback 3 wood

Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Taylormade M4 5 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Max 6-GW

PXG 0211 5-GW

PXG 0211 sand wedge bent to 53 degrees

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

I would give up 20 yards off every tee if I knew I would be in the short grass. Think of it this way would you give back 10 or 20 yards if you could place the ball in the fairway to make your second shot? I would............ I am just back to playing after my 4th back fusion.  I Just want to be playing; and not having to hit backwards back into the fairway from behind a tree or off some pine straw or all the other places that are not in the short grass........ Life  is good!!

WITB... never ending tinkerer so ya there's that.

I would give up 20 yards off every tee if I knew I would be in the short grass. Think of it this way would you give back 10 or 20 yards if you could place the ball in the fairway to make your second shot? I would............ I am just back to playing after my 4th back fusion.  I Just want to be playing; and not having to hit backwards back into the fairway from behind a tree or off some pine straw or all the other places that are not in the short grass........ Life  is good!!

I used to think this as well but the more I learn about strokes gained and course strategy the more I realize i want 20 yards even if I am in the rough. Being behind a tree is either that you need to work in the driver swing or you are picking a bad target.
  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I used to think this as well but the more I learn about strokes gained and course strategy the more I realize i want 20 yards even if I am in the rough. Being behind a tree is either that you need to work in the driver swing or you are picking a bad target.

Yup. Lot easier hitting a 7i into a green than a 5i. 

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

It got no love from me.  I took it on the course for a trial run.  I hit my Ping G400 Max better (definitely longer and dispersion was similar).  It sounded awful, to boot.  I also did not like it as much as a Cobra RadSpeed and a Callaway Epic Speed that I also played on the course on different days.   That being said, it doesn't mean that it isn't the right driver for you (or others).  Sounds as if you tested it on a launch monitor and it performed better than the others you tested.  Accept the information.  Enjoy your club and hit it long and well.

• Like 3

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Completely agree and the data doesn't lie.

This is a big reason why I went to a 45.5" driver.  First, at 6'2", looking at how I address the ball, that length club doesn't look silly.  Secondly, my misses weren't nearly bad enough to force myself into a shorter length club.  

• Like 2
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

I disagree, I still say if you have a driver that keeps you in play in the short grass and for the sake of argument lets call that where the ball can be seen or something as opposed to having to go after a ball in heavy, thick, deep, what ever you want to call it, I would take the ball 10 or 20 yards back and a clean contact on the ball. I have yet to play from behind a tree or rocks or another hazard when landing in the short grass. A nice clean 6 iron off the fairway instead of a 7 or 8 out of rough works much better for me and the conditions I play in. 

• Like 1

WITB... never ending tinkerer so ya there's that.

I have had the 425 Max in the bag for about 8 rounds now and a couple hundred range balls. This driver is seriously a game changer for me. I am good for 50-70% fairways now. The key for me is the mis hits. The punishment is drastically reduced with the 425 Max compared to the other tested (SIM2, Cobra RAD, Callaway). 

Ultimately when it comes to playing the game, getting the score down and just being overall happy with results on the course, the 425 Max is hands down doing it for me! The shafts all produced similar results, but the feel of the Rogue White loading and at impact felt the best for me.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

PING G435 MAX 9* Rogue White

PING 425 3 Wood 14.5*

Tensei OrangeTitleist u510 3 Iron HZRDUS Black

Titleist T100s P-6 / T200 5,4 Modus3 105 

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Taylormade Spider EX

I’ll stick to my G410 LST; I can’t stand how the 425 sounds, and it’s no longer than my 410 LST

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

It’s all in how you hit them mate. I loved my g400 LST for years until I hit a mavrik. Picking up 20-30 yards with the same accuracy made it a no brainer for me. But when I tried the get a mavrik 3-wood to keep that going, it lost out hard to the cobra sz, which was also much cheaper. But I wanted that Mav so bad. But, the cobra is in my bag, because it was longer and more accurate... 

Accuracy is good, but 20-30 yards per hole add up to shorter shots in.

• Like 2

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes