TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hello MGS!!

JohnnyCallaway

Welcome JohnnyCallaway, tell us what you do for Callaway and where you live. What’s your favorite club, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Welcome @JohnnyCallaway

You work for Callaway AND WRX? I’m rarely on WRX and don’t know anyone there, or how their “staff” works...

Any ideas on how to find weights for the Super Hybrid??? Having a tough time sourcing the correct type.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Just now, PMookie said:

Welcome @JohnnyCallaway

You work for Callaway AND WRX? I’m rarely on WRX and don’t know anyone there, or how their “staff” works...

Any ideas on how to find weights for the Super Hybrid??? Having a tough time sourcing the correct type.

No, he left wrx for a job at Callaway 

8 hours ago, JohnnyCallaway said:

It’s Johnny Wunder from Callaway (former WRX staff yet still ride or die WRX’er) and I’m finally jumping in the MGS pool to mix it up with y’all. If you have any questions, topics etc. Fire away. Always been a fan of this site and can’t wait to chat it up.

Glad to see you here, Johnny. Can you talk about what you role is now at Callaway? Is it tour focused?  

Welcome! Softball question from me, what do you enjoy about being with callaway?

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Probably the biggest equipment move on Tour this past offseason was Jon Rahm going to Callaway. Do you have any insight (not necessarily specific to Rahm) how the process goes for a top 10 player switching OEMs like this? Are there always contacts and conversations happening, just in case? Or is it a matter of the rumors heating up first (contract with TaylorMade expiring?) and then another company starts reaching out? I'm just intrigued at how a deal of this magnitude gets done.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Welcome.  What is the internal buzz within Callaway about the recent Topgolf acquisition?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Welcome Johnny!   I added the OEM Verified banner to your profile, not quite a blue check mark, but it's all we got 🙂

Thanks for jumping in, I've already followed a lot of your content on IG, you definitely jumped in running, interviewing Phil and Rahm in your first two days!

Looking forward to your contributions and answers here as much as you can fit in.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Welcome, have been following you on WRX and IG. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Welcome aboard! Good to have you. My question for you is, having the EF SZ and wanting something more forgiving is the MAX LS really that? I have read mixed reviews that the Speed for some seems to be better. I guess would make sense if it is player dependent.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Welcome to MGS Johnny. Just saw the WITB video you did with Matt Wallace and that was great. The separate segment on why he switched to CSX and the process was very interesting to hear how he went about it. Definitely looking forward to following along and hopefully I will get a chance to meet you in person at the US OPEN at Torrey Pines.

3 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Probably the biggest equipment move on Tour this past offseason was Jon Rahm going to Callaway. Do you have any insight (not necessarily specific to Rahm) how the process goes for a top 10 player switching OEMs like this? Are there always contacts and conversations happening, just in case? Or is it a matter of the rumors heating up first (contract with TaylorMade expiring?) and then another company starts reaching out? I'm just intrigued at how a deal of this magnitude gets done.

And to piggyback this...how do you bridge the difference between equipment most notably the ball.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

awesome welcome ... great questions so far from everyone

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Welcome great to have your expertise joining us. As a data analyst/scientist as my day job the AI work for Callaway has always been interesting and always thought setting up a complex simulation like that would be very interesting.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

On 3/18/2021 at 4:55 AM, fozcycle said:

Welcome JohnnyCallaway, tell us what you do for Callaway and where you live. What’s your favorite club, etc.

Hey!! Im the Content Marketing Manager focusing on the Tour. Basically anything having to do with TOUR content will be my focus along with some other fun rabbit hole stuff. I live in Toronto but was born and raised in Seattle. Favorite club at the moment is my Epic Speed Triple D Driver with a Tensei 1k 60TX. Its a heater. 

On 3/18/2021 at 5:10 PM, ejgaudette said:

Welcome great to have your expertise joining us. As a data analyst/scientist as my day job the AI work for Callaway has always been interesting and always thought setting up a complex simulation like that would be very interesting.

Agreed and I will def be digging into the tech and R&D a ton!!

Gear junky degenerate.

On 3/18/2021 at 8:26 AM, rbsiedsc said:

Welcome aboard! Good to have you. My question for you is, having the EF SZ and wanting something more forgiving is the MAX LS really that? I have read mixed reviews that the Speed for some seems to be better. I guess would make sense if it is player dependent.

Yes the Max LS will def give you more playability than any SZ we have made (in my opinion) the problem is spin and our new heads optimize spin in a way better way. The Speed is def fast and you should give it a whirl but coming from EF SZ, the LS will give you the closest transition. Let me know how you shake out. 

Gear junky degenerate.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyCallaway said:

Hey!! Im the Content Marketing Manager focusing on the Tour. Basically anything having to do with TOUR content will be my focus along with some other fun rabbit hole stuff. I live in Toronto but was born and raised in Seattle. Favorite club at the moment is my Epic Speed Triple D Driver with a Tensei 1k 60TX. Its a heater. 

From a marketing perspective I have wondered if it would make sense to keep the AI a bit ambiguous to give it that magical/hard to replicate feel versus trying to explain it and deliver on how the work the AI does really helps a golfer. Seems Callaway has gone more in the middle, AI producing faces we might not think of to optimize the driver, to keep some of that mystique. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

On 3/18/2021 at 9:56 AM, bens197 said:

And to piggyback this...how do you bridge the difference between equipment most notably the ball.  

When a big player switches its usually mapped out far in advance. With the player, agents, OEMs...they know when contracts are coming up and begin the process far in advance. Rahm tested a ton of OEM equipment and ultimately landed with us. Im not privy to the whole story as its way above my pay grade. In regards to transitioning into the new stuff, the ball and driver seem to be the most challenging thing where in Rahms case, he was happy quickly. Irons, wedges etc are more or less easy to adjust/dial in. 

Gear junky degenerate.

On 3/18/2021 at 7:28 AM, fixyurdivot said:

Welcome.  What is the internal buzz within Callaway about the recent Topgolf acquisition?

Just a bunch of happy buzz lol. Its a big deal and opens up so many possibilities. 

Gear junky degenerate.

On 3/18/2021 at 5:23 AM, jlukes said:

No, he left wrx for a job at Callaway 

Glad to see you here, Johnny. Can you talk about what you role is now at Callaway? Is it tour focused?  

Id say its 75% Tour Focused. 

On 3/18/2021 at 6:35 AM, Lacassem said:

Welcome! Softball question from me, what do you enjoy about being with callaway?

The people. The people I work with are incredible. 

Gear junky degenerate.

5 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

From a marketing perspective I have wondered if it would make sense to keep the AI a bit ambiguous to give it that magical/hard to replicate feel versus trying to explain it and deliver on how the work the AI does really helps a golfer. Seems Callaway has gone more in the middle, AI producing faces we might not think of to optimize the driver, to keep some of that mystique. 

Its an interesting thought for sure. With any new tech (AI specifically) we are still in the Wild West of discovery. We do talk about it in marketing (a little) but the full scope of how its used and where we are going with it is still under lock and key. Cally is an ambitious company and what we want to do going forward is impressive on multiple levels. I thought that before I worked here lol.

Gear junky degenerate.

On 3/18/2021 at 7:43 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Welcome Johnny!   I added the OEM Verified banner to your profile, not quite a blue check mark, but it's all we got 🙂

Thanks for jumping in, I've already followed a lot of your content on IG, you definitely jumped in running, interviewing Phil and Rahm in your first two days!

Looking forward to your contributions and answers here as much as you can fit in.

Thanks!!!!

Gear junky degenerate.

7 minutes ago, JohnnyCallaway said:

Its an interesting thought for sure. With any new tech (AI specifically) we are still in the Wild West of discovery. We do talk about it in marketing (a little) but the full scope of how its used and where we are going with it is still under lock and key. Cally is an ambitious company and what we want to do going forward is impressive on multiple levels. I thought that before I worked here lol.

Totally understand not wanting to give up the edge, look forward to future developments

Welcome, Johnny nice to have you here!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Welcome!

So, hate to be the jerk but since you're availing yourself to questions...can you explain this?

1868242538_Screenshot2021-03-25122350.jpg.c8507d5cad22b5d0889d319f72ac6d3f.jpg

In particular, where's the data set that supports this?

Sorry if this is a tough one, not my intent to put anyone on the spot, but this one's a headscratcher to me to say the least, on a number of fronts.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

5 hours ago, JohnnyCallaway said:

@JohnnyCallaway - given you grew up in Seattle, do you have any recommended fitters in the area?

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4