TESTERS WANTED! ×

Standard Arm Lock Lie Angles - Too flat?

Herts JoaTMoN

I've been trying to make my Odyssey Arm Lock Putter work for me, playing the club flat to the ground and adjusting my posture to it and have found it awkward. This week though I decided to ignore the lie angle and have spend an hour everyday trying different postures, hands up and down the grip etc to figure out what feels most comfortable for me and gives me the most consistent swing.

The results...

I need to be in a much more upright position in order to hold the club comfortably and still have my eyes over the ball.

The problem...

All the arm lock putters I can find other than SIK are in the 69-75* lie angle range and i think i need about 79* so will now be going the SIK route. I don't think my stroke lab will cope with being bent 7* upright even though I love the shape and the feel (unless someone can tell me otherwise).

Questions...

Are these flatter lie angles the reason why a lot of people try arm locks and ending up not getting on with it? 

To me at least, it feels like the forearm anchor promotes a much more upright stance which almost all arm lock putters aren't designed for. It feels like most OEMs add loft to their standard heads to account for the forward lean, but then just stick a longer shaft in and additional weight in the head to compensate.

Are there other arm lock makers out there who produce upright options closer to what I am looking for (78-80*)?

Clubs.jpg.b0df6f27ceedde9520a039cf9e3b013b.jpg

Currently deciding what shaft to use in blank cells...

adjusting my posture to it

Questions...

Are these flatter lie angles the reason why a lot of people try arm locks and ending up not getting on with it? 
To me at least, it feels like the forearm anchor promotes a much more upright stance which almost all arm lock putters aren't designed for. It feels like most OEMs add loft to their standard heads to account for the forward lean, but then just stick a longer shaft in and additional weight in the head to compensate.

Are there other arm lock makers out there who produce upright options closer to what I am looking for (78-80*)?

Ideally the putter should be fitted to you and you shouldn’t adjust yourself to the putter. This is a strategy but the arm lock technique is different so there are a lot of changes occurring.

People probably switch away from armlock because they don’t practice enough or understand the technique. I have tried an arm lock and it is very different from a traditional putting stroke; especially visually when someone is used to a vertical shaft. But to know why someone gave it up you would have to ask the individual

You can set you own posture. Most arm locks are longer so people typically adapt to the putter. There isn’t anything that says you can’t tabletop;like Michelle wie used to do, and use an armlock putter.

Clubs are made to be adjustable and you need to fit the club to you. There isn’t a standard. If
You want a putter close to the legal limit of 80* ask the OEM if they can. Fundamentally an armlock putter is simply a heavier head with more loft to accommodate the forward press. The problem isn’t the amount of bend it is finding a club maker that would use heat as part of the bending process instead of just cold. Bending. Your best option would probably be to work with a boutique putter maker since they will build what you want. Try looking at Bobby Grace putters. I think Evnroll also has an armlock this year.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Option would be to get a new head made for you.

I had Kari make one for me to my specs for $800 Australian. He had nothing to work off, but managed to make it work, no problem.

lajosi.com.au

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

5 hours ago, Green Sheep Productions said:

Option would be to get a new head made for you.

I had Kari make one for me to my specs for $800 Australian. He had nothing to work off, but managed to make it work, no problem.

lajosi.com.au

only issue with that again will be the import costs. not sure if i can find somewhere similar in the UK.

Once the shops are back open in a few weeks I'm going to look to see how upright they (who ever i can find who does putter adjustments) can get my odyssey big 7 armlock before looking at more expensive options.

Im hoping i can get it to work for me.

Clubs.jpg.b0df6f27ceedde9520a039cf9e3b013b.jpg

Currently deciding what shaft to use in blank cells...