TESTERS WANTED! ×

Pop up Ad Windows

fixyurdivot

Anyone else getting a pop-up ad window at the bottom of your screen each time you cycle the forum pages?  I don't recall seeing this before.  You can clear it, but then it returns when you jump to another page... really annoying 😡.  This is only happening on MGS.

This is the site being used. Anyway to disable?

https://freestar.com/?utm_medium=sticky_footer&utm_source=branding&utm_name=mygolfspy_adhesion

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Anyone else getting a pop-up ad window at the bottom of your screen each time you cycle the forum pages?  I don't recall seeing this before.  You can clear it, but then it returns when you jump to another page... really annoying .  This is only happening on MGS.
This is the site being used. Anyway to disable?
https://freestar.com/?utm_medium=sticky_footer&utm_source=branding&utm_name=mygolfspy_adhesion

Yep, I have seen that type of ad before and it is super annoying. I used to allow ads on MGS; to help provide revenue, but hate that bottom one so much I turned
My ad blocker back on for the mygolfspy domain.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just tried that, closed and re-opened the site... but still seeing the pop-up.  Must not have done it right.

image.png.fa11e4d72a8fcc5d0497012421254cdd.png

Same - still seeing that ad at the bottom and confirmed ads and pop ups are blocked via chrome.  

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Just tried that, closed and re-opened the site... but still seeing the pop-up.  Must not have done it right.
image.png.fa11e4d72a8fcc5d0497012421254cdd.png

I use Adblock on my computer. I don’t have on on my mobile since I use tapatalk to read the forum
Posts.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I was getting them until yesterday when I loaded AdBlock.  Before that I had Pop Up Stopper which didn't stop them.  They were very annoying.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

50 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

I was getting them until yesterday when I loaded AdBlock.  Before that I had Pop Up Stopper which didn't stop them.  They were very annoying.

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

I use Adblock on my computer. I don’t have on on my mobile since I use tapatalk to read the forum
Posts.

RU guys using the free AdBlocker from Chrome?

image.png.8affc39d1f5aa7712253e21f5aaf2c50.png

I just added that version (above) and re-opened MGS... looks to be working 😍.  Thanks all!

I see you downloaded it, but yes that is what I use.

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

ABP was the go-to ad blocker back in the day, but it has the ability to see your info. They say they won't/don't do anything with that data, but it's hard to trust any app today. Further, they have "acceptable ads" aka these guys paid us enough money so we'll show you their ads.

Enter uBlock Origin (I use Brave browser but it's available on all browsers):

image.png.fd1f61b63f94faa02106b0b06868ac63.png

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Can-you-trust-uBlock-Origin%3F

Other extensions you should consider using:

Privacy Badger - https://privacybadger.org/ prevents cross-site scripting. Ever wonder why you see so many relevant ads after you do a Google search? They're sharing info between sites

HTTPS Everywhere - https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere makes sure your traffic between you and the website you're viewing is encrypted whenever available

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

16 minutes ago, yungkory said:

ABP was the go-to ad blocker back in the day, but it has the ability to see your info. They say they won't/don't do anything with that data, but it's hard to trust any app today. Further, they have "acceptable ads" aka these guys paid us enough money so we'll show you their ads.

Enter uBlock Origin (I use Brave browser but it's available on all browsers):

image.png.fd1f61b63f94faa02106b0b06868ac63.png

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Can-you-trust-uBlock-Origin%3F

Other extensions you should consider using:

Privacy Badger - https://privacybadger.org/ prevents cross-site scripting. Ever wonder why you see so many relevant ads after you do a Google search? They're sharing info between sites

HTTPS Everywhere - https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere makes sure your traffic between you and the website you're viewing is encrypted whenever available

Yes, I saw the preamble note from them when downloading.  Perhaps I'll switch to uBlock. It's crazy just how much churn goes on in the quest for personal data.  There is an excellent Netflix documentary on this whole subject "The Social Dilemma".  Thanks for the info.

32 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Yes, I saw the preamble note from them when downloading.  Perhaps I'll switch to uBlock. It's crazy just how much churn goes on in the quest for personal data.  There is an excellent Netflix documentary on this whole subject "The Social Dilemma".  Thanks for the info.

Yep, your data is worth so much to these companies. I like keeping it to myself as much as possible, and these apps help a little bit with achieving that! I'm not quite a tinfoil hat kinda person, but working in tech has taught me to be cautious. Maybe tinfoil visor?

I added ublock to my chrome book and the ads still appear at the bottom?

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

6 minutes ago, ole gray said:

I added ublock to my chrome book and the ads still appear at the bottom?

If you use Chrome in incognito mode you might need to allow ublock to run in incognito

After loading Total Adblock the irritating pop up windows on the forum have disappeared....

but now i get an annoying pop up ad for.....  Total Adblock!!!  How ironic.  They want me to upgrade from their free version to a more powerful paid subscription version.  This ad has been popping up as I get to a new web page for the last three days at least.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Tried AdBlock, no luck. Why are these ads popping up? Are they something MGS authorized? 

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

1 hour ago, LeftyHawk said:

Tried AdBlock, no luck. Why are these ads popping up? Are they something MGS authorized? 

Don't know what ads you are seeing, but yes there are MGS authorized ads on the forum and main page.    I have used adBlock with 100% success in Chrome.  What browser and OS are you using to view the forum?

I typically read MGS on my iPad. Where that ad show up at the bottom is particularly annoying. I know they gotta pay for this somehow - but it would be better on the side bar

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

I typically read MGS on my iPad. Where that ad show up at the bottom is particularly annoying. I know they gotta pay for this somehow - but it would be better on the side bar

I am with you, hate the ad on the bottom. It caused me to turn my ad blocker back on for MGS. The bottom ad shows up on all devices as far as I can tell

17 hours ago, cnosil said:

Don't know what ads you are seeing, but yes there are MGS authorized ads on the forum and main page.    I have used adBlock with 100% success in Chrome.  What browser and OS are you using to view the forum?

Typically I use my phone (android). I'm going to give ad blocker another try.

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

1 hour ago, LeftyHawk said:

Typically I use my phone (android). I'm going to give ad blocker another try.

They may be considered "acceptable" ads.   By default adblock will allow those. 

• 1 month later...

I'll just put this here rather than start a new topic.

Is it just me, or is the site really slow these days? I installed an ad blocker on my phone and I might as well not bother, as it takes forever to load anything. My PC at home has an ad blocker and this site is the slowest of any that I visit. Is this a problem on my end or something else?

14 minutes ago, silver & black said:

Is it just me, or is the site really slow these days? I installed an ad blocker on my phone and I might as well not bother, as it takes forever to load anything. My PC at home has an ad blocker and this site is the slowest of any that I visit. Is this a problem on my end or something else?

I'm experiencing the same. The app on my tablet has not been usable for the last week.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

1 hour ago, Siamese Moose said:

I'm experiencing the same. The app on my tablet has not been usable for the last week.

When you say "app", are you referring to the MGS app or the tapatalk app?  If so, support for those has been dropped and they aren't usable anymore.   The only way to access the forum is via the website.   You can do this on a tablet/phone just like you would on a computer.  

1 hour ago, silver & black said:

It might be a little slower for me, but nothing horrible. 

• 1 month later...

Sorry but this place has become unreadable on my phone. It's never been like this. 

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

8 minutes ago, braincramp said:

Sorry but this place has become unreadable on my phone. It's never been like this. 

Have you tried an ad blocker? I read the forum on my phone going through Ad Blocker plus browser and it has reduced the ads significantly. I still get one occasionally at the bottom of the page, but it's not like trying to get on through Chrome or Firefox. 

I used my phone yesterday to view the forum, which I rarely do, and found it almost unworkable. Ads sitting over the top of topics/links I wanted to click on made it impossible. I did manage to open the ad several times though. Probably provided a bit of extra revenue😅

If we need to use ad blockers isn't that a sign that there's too many ads?

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

11 minutes ago, Peaksy68 said:

I used my phone yesterday to view the forum, which I rarely do, and found it almost unworkable. Ads sitting over the top of topics/links I wanted to click on made it impossible. I did manage to open the ad several times though. Probably provided a bit of extra revenue😅

If we need to use ad blockers isn't that a sign that there's too many ads?

Yes. To me, the ads have become super annoying since the latest update a few months ago. They effect the loading speed, especially of the main forum page and I have had similar experiences as you on my phone. I have since downloaded an ad blocker that is very effective for the stock Samsung browser and Yandex browser, but really don't like that it's necessary.

@jlukes posted while I was typing - I'm in full agreement. I'd gladly pay to make the ads go away. Maybe just take a % of donations forum members make to MGS to reduce/eliminate the volume of ads? Just a thought.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

9 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Have you tried an ad blocker? I read the forum on my phone going through Ad Blocker plus browser and it has reduced the ads significantly. I still get one occasionally at the bottom of the page, but it's not like trying to get on through Chrome or Firefox. 

I use chrome no ad blockers are helping me out on my iPhone