Jump to content

One length irons


Guest

Recommended Posts

  • Guests

Looking for any input and advice about switching to one length irons....

Currently playing the new P790's but just am lacking consistency with ball striking with my irons.   I'm a 6 to 9 index and play a ton but just struggling with iron play...

Thoughts???

 

Link to comment

One of last years Cobra Connect Challenge participants/testers opted to try the one-length. Check out @daviddvmfinal review. 

 

  • Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

 

 

Link to comment

My advice is to try and find a set to demo and see if ONE length clubs work for you. I'm more consistent now with my irons than ever before.

The challenge may be finding a set to demo.

  • Like 1

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 10.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, Motore X F3 6-S set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway   Both with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 21.5* Hybrid Project X CATALYST 80 6.0

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip                                                                                

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS  Align XL    All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                         

  :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                                      697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment

Good recommendations from previous posts. From personal experiences with iron inconsistencies and/or one length testing, while I very much liked mid irons at one length I did not do well with short iron one length & long iron/hybrid one length.

So I did a couple of things. First had a good fitting regarding lie angle for my non single length set. Second I had my swing video taped and received instructions for several things that contributed to ball striking inconsistencies. I ended up staying with non single length irons.

Looking for any input and advice about switching to one length irons....
Currently playing the new P790's but just am lacking consistency with ball striking with my irons.   I'm a 6 to 9 index and play a ton but just struggling with iron play...
Thoughts???
 


Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Link to comment

Going one-length myself very soon! The idea just makes sense, consistent setup for consistent contact. We're in the same handicap range but you've also gotta look at speed. Especially with the lower loft irons if you don't have enough speed the ball will fly super low.

Get a fitting for best results but I think this will slowly catch on once people get over their own insecurities about doing something different.

Using a poop emoji putter right now since mine broke, and I'm going to do a full bag fitting in the coming months. Didn't want to spend big right before doing the fitting 💩

Link to comment
  • Guests
5 hours ago, Fallingwithstyle23 said:

Going one-length myself very soon! The idea just makes sense, consistent setup for consistent contact. We're in the same handicap range but you've also gotta look at speed. Especially with the lower loft irons if you don't have enough speed the ball will fly super low.

Get a fitting for best results but I think this will slowly catch on once people get over their own insecurities about doing something different.

Thanks....from what I've been reading and getting back the last month is to go 7 iron length but keep 8 to Gap different lengths... 

 

 

Link to comment

I went to one length a few seasons ago, will never go back.  Finally gave away the old set of Pings I was holding on to “just in case”...  I started out with the Cobra F9s, and last season found a used set of Cobra Forged TEC Black that I really really love. 
 

I did something a little different - I had them all made to MY 8 iron length.  That is/was my favorite club at the time and my 150 yarder. When I was previously fit for clubs I was always told I’m half an inch short of standard (a couple previous sets of pings) so I stuck with that.  Wedges thru hybrid. 
 

I have to admit, the first time I got into a bunker w a “long” sand wedge it felt awkward. But soon was completely normal. I have never been a high trajectory hitter, so having shorter irons that fly a little higher has been a good thing for me.  I have good gaps w my 60, 56, GW PW etc. don’t be afraid to try those. 
 

I really love the “shorter” hybrid. Finally feel like I know how to hit one, and it’s a favorite - have two in the bag. 
 

I have good gaps until I get to the 5/6 and then gap well again w the hybrids. This year I’m going to try and out some graphite shafts in the 5&6 to see if I can’t get them spread out a bit. 
 

Again, it’s worked well for me, I wish I’d gotten experimental earlier. My handicap and scoring have been the best they’ve ever been since I made the switch.  Give them a try!

  • Like 3

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Link to comment
  • Guests
42 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

I went to one length a few seasons ago, will never go back.  Finally gave away the old set of Pings I was holding on to “just in case”...  I started out with the Cobra F9s, and last season found a used set of Cobra Forged TEC Black that I really really love. 
 

I did something a little different - I had them all made to MY 8 iron length.  That is/was my favorite club at the time and my 150 yarder. When I was previously fit for clubs I was always told I’m half an inch short of standard (a couple previous sets of pings) so I stuck with that.  Wedges thru hybrid. 
 

I have to admit, the first time I got into a bunker w a “long” sand wedge it felt awkward. But soon was completely normal. I have never been a high trajectory hitter, so having shorter irons that fly a little higher has been a good thing for me.  I have good gaps w my 60, 56, GW PW etc. don’t be afraid to try those. 
 

I really love the “shorter” hybrid. Finally feel like I know how to hit one, and it’s a favorite - have two in the bag. 
 

I have good gaps until I get to the 5/6 and then gap well again w the hybrids. This year I’m going to try and out some graphite shafts in the 5&6 to see if I can’t get them spread out a bit. 
 

Again, it’s worked well for me, I wish I’d gotten experimental earlier. My handicap and scoring have been the best they’ve ever been since I made the switch.  Give them a try!

Curious where you got fit or did you get fit?    

Link to comment

Considering this myself.  I’m thinking of getting a set of pinhawks as a proof of concept.  I’m a higher handicap, so I’m perfectly comfortable trying out the pinhawks at a very affordable cost. Lower handicap may decide they are not up to snuff I suppose. 

Link to comment

Im personally not a believer in one length.  If one length were the way, everyone would be doing it.  Some people do like it though because it allows you to use a consistent setup.

IMO, one length is much like stack and tilt was years ago.  It works for some but its not the revolution that believers in it think that it is.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Link to comment
13 hours ago, JJK2333 said:

Curious where you got fit or did you get fit?    

That is the drawback - most places you go like Golf Galaxy or an Austads look at you like you’ve grown a third eye... As I said, I worked off the fitting I did w my old Pings for the length of my 8 iron, and the lie (I’m a little flat). I knew that was the standard length I wanted.  I ordered them thru my club pro, and he recommended we not tinker with that in the ordering, and then when they arrive just go to the range and hit them all off a lie board, and mark the balls. (Not going down that rabbit hole...) and we’d bend them If we needed to.  I definitely had to have my Forged TEC Blacks bent.  So that worked well enough for me. The biggest trick is if you ever want to tinker with shafts. You need to get on the phone w the shaft company and talk thru where/how they need to be cut and trimmed and exactly what to order.  I’d love to find a place like a club champion and a fitter w some experience in single length.

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Link to comment
  • Guests
1 minute ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

That is the drawback - most places you go like Golf Galaxy or an Austads look at you like you’ve grown a third eye... As I said, I worked off the fitting I did w my old Pings for the length of my 8 iron, and the lie (I’m a little flat). I knew that was the standard length I wanted.  I ordered them thru my club pro, and he recommended we not tinker with that in the ordering, and then when they arrive just go to the range and hit them all off a lie board, and mark the balls. (Not going down that rabbit hole...) and we’d bend them If we needed to.  I definitely had to have my Forged TEC Blacks bent.  So that worked well enough for me. The biggest trick is if you ever want to tinker with shafts. You need to get on the phone w the shaft company and talk thru where/how they need to be cut and trimmed and exactly what to order.  I’d love to find a place like a club champion and a fitter w some experience in single length.

Thanks....   Gonna hit some Monday afternoon finally.... I see you are from Sioux City?   Know anything or when the Landmark GC is set to open at all?   Been reading some about it and played another one of the developers new courses last fall Sweetens Cove...

Link to comment
1 hour ago, JJK2333 said:

Thanks....   Gonna hit some Monday afternoon finally.... I see you are from Sioux City?   Know anything or when the Landmark GC is set to open at all?   Been reading some about it and played another one of the developers new courses last fall Sweetens Cove...

I wish I did... it’s a 15-20 minute drive from my house.  I’m really looking forward to it.  Never been to Sweetens but it’s on the to do list.  I can’t wait to see what Landmand is like.  Been following the developments on Twitter.  Lot of great golf in Nebraska. Also belong to the Prairie Club - a four hour sojourn once a month in season for a weekend. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Link to comment
  • Guests
30 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

I wish I did... it’s a 15-20 minute drive from my house.  I’m really looking forward to it.  Never been to Sweetens but it’s on the to do list.  I can’t wait to see what Landmand is like.  Been following the developments on Twitter.  Lot of great golf in Nebraska. Also belong to the Prairie Club - a four hour sojourn once a month in season for a weekend. 

Nice!   Has PD started their 3rd 18 hole course yet?

Link to comment
27 minutes ago, JJK2333 said:

Nice!   Has PD started their 3rd 18 hole course yet?

No, and I don’t know there are plans to do so... however, there is another completely private club being built right next door by Gil Hanse by the name of CapRock Ranch. You can see a few holes from the 13-15 of the Dunes course at the Prairie Club. The PClub apparently sold them some of their land. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Link to comment
  • Guests
2 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

No, and I don’t know there are plans to do so... however, there is another completely private club being built right next door by Gil Hanse by the name of CapRock Ranch. You can see a few holes from the 13-15 of the Dunes course at the Prairie Club. The PClub apparently sold them some of their land. 

There was talk about a 3rd 18 but maybe it went on hold for now....   Been meaning to duck in and check out PD on one of my summer trips out to Wyoming hopefully this summer will be the year....    I will look at the new Hanse project....

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...