TESTERS WANTED! ×

One length irons

• Guests

Looking for any input and advice about switching to one length irons....

Currently playing the new P790's but just am lacking consistency with ball striking with my irons.   I'm a 6 to 9 index and play a ton but just struggling with iron play...

Thoughts???

One of last years Cobra Connect Challenge participants/testers opted to try the one-length. Check out @daviddvmfinal review. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

My advice is to try and find a set to demo and see if ONE length clubs work for you. I'm more consistent now with my irons than ever before.

The challenge may be finding a set to demo.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:titleist-small:  816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

:titleist-small:  -ProV1x  Align XL  

All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

BirdieBall Outdoor Putting Green                                 

Good recommendations from previous posts. From personal experiences with iron inconsistencies and/or one length testing, while I very much liked mid irons at one length I did not do well with short iron one length & long iron/hybrid one length.

So I did a couple of things. First had a good fitting regarding lie angle for my non single length set. Second I had my swing video taped and received instructions for several things that contributed to ball striking inconsistencies. I ended up staying with non single length irons.

Looking for any input and advice about switching to one length irons....
Currently playing the new P790's but just am lacking consistency with ball striking with my irons.   I'm a 6 to 9 index and play a ton but just struggling with iron play...
Thoughts???

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Going one-length myself very soon! The idea just makes sense, consistent setup for consistent contact. We're in the same handicap range but you've also gotta look at speed. Especially with the lower loft irons if you don't have enough speed the ball will fly super low.

Get a fitting for best results but I think this will slowly catch on once people get over their own insecurities about doing something different.

Using a poop emoji putter right now since mine broke, and I'm going to do a full bag fitting in the coming months. Didn't want to spend big right before doing the fitting 💩

• Guests
5 hours ago, Fallingwithstyle23 said:

Going one-length myself very soon! The idea just makes sense, consistent setup for consistent contact. We're in the same handicap range but you've also gotta look at speed. Especially with the lower loft irons if you don't have enough speed the ball will fly super low.

Get a fitting for best results but I think this will slowly catch on once people get over their own insecurities about doing something different.

Thanks....from what I've been reading and getting back the last month is to go 7 iron length but keep 8 to Gap different lengths... 

I went to one length a few seasons ago, will never go back.  Finally gave away the old set of Pings I was holding on to “just in case”...  I started out with the Cobra F9s, and last season found a used set of Cobra Forged TEC Black that I really really love. 

I did something a little different - I had them all made to MY 8 iron length.  That is/was my favorite club at the time and my 150 yarder. When I was previously fit for clubs I was always told I’m half an inch short of standard (a couple previous sets of pings) so I stuck with that.  Wedges thru hybrid. 

I have to admit, the first time I got into a bunker w a “long” sand wedge it felt awkward. But soon was completely normal. I have never been a high trajectory hitter, so having shorter irons that fly a little higher has been a good thing for me.  I have good gaps w my 60, 56, GW PW etc. don’t be afraid to try those. 

I really love the “shorter” hybrid. Finally feel like I know how to hit one, and it’s a favorite - have two in the bag. 

I have good gaps until I get to the 5/6 and then gap well again w the hybrids. This year I’m going to try and out some graphite shafts in the 5&6 to see if I can’t get them spread out a bit. 

Again, it’s worked well for me, I wish I’d gotten experimental earlier. My handicap and scoring have been the best they’ve ever been since I made the switch.  Give them a try!

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

• Guests
42 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

I went to one length a few seasons ago, will never go back.  Finally gave away the old set of Pings I was holding on to “just in case”...  I started out with the Cobra F9s, and last season found a used set of Cobra Forged TEC Black that I really really love. 

I did something a little different - I had them all made to MY 8 iron length.  That is/was my favorite club at the time and my 150 yarder. When I was previously fit for clubs I was always told I’m half an inch short of standard (a couple previous sets of pings) so I stuck with that.  Wedges thru hybrid. 

I have to admit, the first time I got into a bunker w a “long” sand wedge it felt awkward. But soon was completely normal. I have never been a high trajectory hitter, so having shorter irons that fly a little higher has been a good thing for me.  I have good gaps w my 60, 56, GW PW etc. don’t be afraid to try those. 

I really love the “shorter” hybrid. Finally feel like I know how to hit one, and it’s a favorite - have two in the bag. 

I have good gaps until I get to the 5/6 and then gap well again w the hybrids. This year I’m going to try and out some graphite shafts in the 5&6 to see if I can’t get them spread out a bit. 

Again, it’s worked well for me, I wish I’d gotten experimental earlier. My handicap and scoring have been the best they’ve ever been since I made the switch.  Give them a try!

Curious where you got fit or did you get fit?    

Im personally not a believer in one length.  If one length were the way, everyone would be doing it.  Some people do like it though because it allows you to use a consistent setup.

IMO, one length is much like stack and tilt was years ago.  It works for some but its not the revolution that believers in it think that it is.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

13 hours ago, JJK2333 said:

Curious where you got fit or did you get fit?    

That is the drawback - most places you go like Golf Galaxy or an Austads look at you like you’ve grown a third eye... As I said, I worked off the fitting I did w my old Pings for the length of my 8 iron, and the lie (I’m a little flat). I knew that was the standard length I wanted.  I ordered them thru my club pro, and he recommended we not tinker with that in the ordering, and then when they arrive just go to the range and hit them all off a lie board, and mark the balls. (Not going down that rabbit hole...) and we’d bend them If we needed to.  I definitely had to have my Forged TEC Blacks bent.  So that worked well enough for me. The biggest trick is if you ever want to tinker with shafts. You need to get on the phone w the shaft company and talk thru where/how they need to be cut and trimmed and exactly what to order.  I’d love to find a place like a club champion and a fitter w some experience in single length.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts

• Guests
1 minute ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

That is the drawback - most places you go like Golf Galaxy or an Austads look at you like you’ve grown a third eye... As I said, I worked off the fitting I did w my old Pings for the length of my 8 iron, and the lie (I’m a little flat). I knew that was the standard length I wanted.  I ordered them thru my club pro, and he recommended we not tinker with that in the ordering, and then when they arrive just go to the range and hit them all off a lie board, and mark the balls. (Not going down that rabbit hole...) and we’d bend them If we needed to.  I definitely had to have my Forged TEC Blacks bent.  So that worked well enough for me. The biggest trick is if you ever want to tinker with shafts. You need to get on the phone w the shaft company and talk thru where/how they need to be cut and trimmed and exactly what to order.  I’d love to find a place like a club champion and a fitter w some experience in single length.

Thanks....   Gonna hit some Monday afternoon finally.... I see you are from Sioux City?   Know anything or when the Landmark GC is set to open at all?   Been reading some about it and played another one of the developers new courses last fall Sweetens Cove...

1 hour ago, JJK2333 said:

Thanks....   Gonna hit some Monday afternoon finally.... I see you are from Sioux City?   Know anything or when the Landmark GC is set to open at all?   Been reading some about it and played another one of the developers new courses last fall Sweetens Cove...

I wish I did... it’s a 15-20 minute drive from my house.  I’m really looking forward to it.  Never been to Sweetens but it’s on the to do list.  I can’t wait to see what Landmand is like.  Been following the developments on Twitter.  Lot of great golf in Nebraska. Also belong to the Prairie Club - a four hour sojourn once a month in season for a weekend. 

• Guests
30 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

I wish I did... it’s a 15-20 minute drive from my house.  I’m really looking forward to it.  Never been to Sweetens but it’s on the to do list.  I can’t wait to see what Landmand is like.  Been following the developments on Twitter.  Lot of great golf in Nebraska. Also belong to the Prairie Club - a four hour sojourn once a month in season for a weekend. 

Nice!   Has PD started their 3rd 18 hole course yet?

27 minutes ago, JJK2333 said:

Nice!   Has PD started their 3rd 18 hole course yet?

No, and I don’t know there are plans to do so... however, there is another completely private club being built right next door by Gil Hanse by the name of CapRock Ranch. You can see a few holes from the 13-15 of the Dunes course at the Prairie Club. The PClub apparently sold them some of their land. 

• Guests
2 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

No, and I don’t know there are plans to do so... however, there is another completely private club being built right next door by Gil Hanse by the name of CapRock Ranch. You can see a few holes from the 13-15 of the Dunes course at the Prairie Club. The PClub apparently sold them some of their land. 

There was talk about a 3rd 18 but maybe it went on hold for now....   Been meaning to duck in and check out PD on one of my summer trips out to Wyoming hopefully this summer will be the year....    I will look at the new Hanse project....