Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

what driver shaft do you use and why

5 hours ago, MattF said:

100% agree. The last one I tried was exactly like that.

I currently swing that telephone pole lol. Some days it’s great, but I think it really amplifies my misses. It can be difficult to get a feel for if I’m out of sync 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

1 minute ago, RollingGreens said:

I currently swing that telephone pole lol. Some days it’s great, but I think it really amplifies my misses. It can be difficult to get a feel for if I’m out of sync 

Can’t wait to get fit for a new driver for the first time vs an off the rack. Probably about a month to go at the club to test all The new drivers and shaft combos. I really want to mess with the ping tour shaft on the g425, the Hzrdus smoke rdx, tensei blue and white, and last but not least the ventus black

Edited by RollingGreens

Titleist ProV1

1/2" Rebar from Home Depot. Unbelievable feel and control. Not a lot of flex but, worth every penny. 

Nah, but for real I just bought the VA Composites Nemesys 65  Five (X Flex) for a Ping G410 LST (Thanks to @jlukes and TXG videos) and whoa momma...it's legit. Tried to go back to my gamer and immediately decided to part with it. Best feeling shaft/combo I've swung in a long time, and it puts my launch numbers as close to perfect as I've seen. I never tried the shaft prior to purchase and this actually worked out perfectly. 6 for 7 on fairways hit Tuesday with the only miss going through the fairway on a dogleg...old gamer hit a cut and this combo hits frozen ropes. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I have been using the MCA Tense ck Blue for the past 4 years . I like the lag that I get with it. However, the PXG fitter said I should try the Evenflo Riptide with my new PXG 0211. Well, he was right. The Riptide is very smooth on the downswing and follow thru.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Graphite Design AD VR 6x.  Have played Graphite Design for years and this one worked better than my preferred AD TP in my PXG driver.  I did get the AD TP in my 3 wood out of me be stubborn with my fitter.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I use Aldila Tour Green 65 in my driver. I tested it and liked the firm tip to help reduce the spin on my drives.

I am left handed
Driver SIM Max
3 wood SIM Max or Cobra Speedback Big Tour at 13.5 degrees
3 hybrid Cobre Speedback
Ping i210 4 - U
Titleist 54 sand wedge
Putter Taylormade Spider

Bear Down,

Marty

Since I can't sit still and we had a few inches of snow this week I'm going to give the MCA tensei raw white 65s a try since I just picked one up on eBay 

Titleist ProV1

On 3/23/2021 at 2:30 PM, Shapotomous said:

That was the Holy Grail shaft for my G10 driver I used for years and years.  I should get one and pop a G410 adapter on it to compare to the Accra.  

I compared the Accra gamer to a couple of EvenFlow's in different flex's.  The Accra won out but I am a tinkerer and will probably try a few others as time goes on.  I tend to stick with a clubhead once I find one I like and try different shafts & weight combinations.

WOW, I had that EXACT driver set up as well.  I loved that G10 and Pro Red shaft combo.  I now play the HZDRS Smoke X shaft in my driver. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

• 2 weeks later...

Hzrdus smoke black x-stiff 60g. 
keeps me from pulling my drives often

low spin and low launch suit me as i hit the ball high. 
shaft feels great for my aggressive transition. 

WITB

I have two that I use.  My primary is a Project X HZRDUS Black Hand Crafted.  The other One I use is a UST Mamiya V2 Tour.  Both are stiff flex.  Low Launch/Low Spin seems to work best for me.

Driver: :cobra:F9 Project X HZRDUS Black
Woods: :bridgestone: JGR 3w UST Mamiya V2
Hybrids: :bridgestone: JGR 3h/4h Graphite Design AD DI
Irons: :bridgestone: HF2 5-AW Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Wedges:  :callaway: MD4 54/58 C grind
Putter: :scotty: Squareback Select
Ball: :bridgestone: Tour B-RX
Grips: : :GolfPride: MCC +4 Align
:bagboy:Chiller Hybrid on a :clicgear: 3.0

Just picked up a ventus black cheap and love it... 7x

replaced a aldila silver 110 7x 

I’m coming back to golf from an injury so my swing speed is way down... but it’s good even when not swinging hard.

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

On 3/24/2021 at 5:33 AM, Pupini said:

I went for a full driver fitting a few weeks ago and the best shaft for me was the KBS TD with the Ping 425LST. After going through the fitting, I am now a firm believer that there is no one size its all approach. Just because I like the KBS TD with the PIng, doesn't mean it will react the same when paired with a TM or Callaway head for example.

I have to agree with you. I have been playing a Fujikura 757 evo for years on my Mizuno JPX 850. I recently was  gifted a PING G410 LST and I had a Fujikura 757 Evo installed. I just doesn't fit the same as my Mizuno. 

I have used a steel shaft on my driver until my older brother broke it when he was trying to stretch before he hit a ball at a range back in high school. Unfortunately, back then it was very difficult have a the shaft changed to keep using the driver. When I started playing golf graphite and carbon fibre shafts were just coming out and very expensive, the major concern was that the new shafts had the flexibility but not the strenght compared to steel shafts. Being that it has been 20 years since then it is very difficult to say if a steel, graphite or carbon fibre shaft is the best for a driver, it should be up to player themselves as to which shaft suits them based on their swing speed. I am still struggling with that as I am coming back to golf and would need to go for a fitting to determine which shaft is the best for my driver, as shaft technology has changed so much I can't say which shaft manufacturer is the best and with varying shaft weights it is upto the player to make that decision.

Lefty coming back to golf.

Gone through a few over the past year. Current is MOTOREX F1 6X. Was fitted for this and produced great numbers for me and it feels fantastic. I am a fan of stiff throughout as I do not like to feel that bend in my transition. I loved the HZRDUS line Green and Black would have been my choice if I went with a Titleist driver this year but the MOTOREX felt as good if not better and was a standard shaft for Cobra.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

For now, I am sticking with the EvenFlow Black 6.5.  The Ventus Blue in my 3 wood does everything I had hoped for and will likely be in contention for my next driver.  

The EF feels wonderfully smooth and has one of the most penetrating flights I've ever seen.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Since 2019, I've gone through a handful of shaft/head combinations:

• HZRDUS Smoke Black 6S / Epic Flash
  • HZRDUS Yellow 6S / Epic Flash
  • Aldila Rogue Silver 6S / SpeedZone Xtreme
  • Aldila Rogue White 6X / Mavrik
  • Dumina AutoFlex 505X / Mavrik

I was fit for all but the Rogue White/AutoFlex. I started working more on my driver swing with lessons after I got the SpeedZone and found I didn't launch it very well. I had previously been setup with low/low shafts to offset a very steep AoA with the driver.

I self-fit myself to the Mavrik / Rogue White combo and really liked it. But then I fell for the AutoFlex hype and have thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. I seem to be getting very good launch conditions and my distance has increased a bit since putting it in play.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Right now it's the stock Diamana S Limited in S flex that comes with the Taylormade Sim. I'm liking it more than the previous shaft I had, which was the Hzrdus yellow with a cobra head, just could never get a consistent feel with it. I tend to hit with lots of spin and high though so this mid launch could get me some high risers I think. I would love to try a Ventus blue or black, or Tensei white or orange since I like the blue in my fairway. I probably should get fit eventually, I am just so inconsistent with my play I can never justify it.

Driver: Taylormade Sim (Handcrafted Hzrdus Yellow 63g 6.5 flex)

Fairway: Mizuno ST200ts 15* (Tensei Blue X Flex) (Needs to be replaced)

Utility: Sub 70 699u 17* 2 iron (Proforce V2 S Flex) / Sub 70 699u Pro 19.5* 3 iron (Hzrdus Smoke 6.0)

Irons: Mizuno MP 25 4-PW (Project X S Flex)

Wedges: 50* & 54* Cleveland RTX 4 Raw, 58* Cobra Snakebite Versatile Grind/60* PM Grind Callaway

Putter: Tommy Armour Habanero

Ball: Titleist Pro V1/Pro V1x

I was using a Project X Blood Orange Max Carry stiff flex. Low 50 gram shaft. I want swinging fast and playing hurt. This Shaft gave me good distance. 

I have since moved on to a Japanese model, Project X Ion Blue shaft in Stiff. A bit softer tip than the US model. A definite rocket launcher. I put the shaft in regular flex in my 3, 5 and 7 wood. Great investment for my game.

Playing Callaway Rouge woods.

Edited by Michael S.

I am found of the Miyasaki stock shaft 5r, 4443 *Japan made*, that comes with the Cleveland Hb Turbo driver. 

I am a lefty, and wath I love about this shaft, it's the Trajectory a nice mid high lauch with,praticly no dispersion 3 to 4 yards width in sync time after time again.

The distance is normal, if I compare to a Fly Z, *non xl or non plus* middle of the range.

Very well balanced shaft, not for everyone because this shaft has a slim line profile,,,, but in the other end it does cuts through the wind with a medium to slow swing speed of 86 mph. Just the pergect fit for this kind of swing . You would be amazed on how it works in narrow fairways if you need to rebuilt you confidence this one for you.. 

Have a wonderful day. 

Edited by M.Duchesne
Some syntax error.

I game a Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S shaft.  This is a low spin, low/mid launch shaft.  The tip section is stiff with medium mid and butt sections.  I feel I can load this shaft without muscling this shaft while the stiff tip add to shot stability. 

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 2:26 PM, ryno_wineo said:

Paired my Callaway Epic Max LS 9* with the UST Lin-Q Purple 7F5, 1" tipped (hard). 

My 3 finalists were:

• Lin-Q Purple 7F5
    • #2 in overall launch numbers
    • Purple isn't for everyone
    • Lowest average spin
    • Tied for best L/R dispersion
    • Fastest average clubhead speed by 3.6 mph
    • Least efficient (smash factor); first in distance
  • Ventus Black 7X
    • Best consistency in numbers throughout swings
    • Tied for best L/R dispersion
    • Slowest average clubhead speed
    • Went into the fitting with a "Team Ventus" mentality
    • Most expensive
  • KBS TD 70 Cat5
    • Felt great
    • Largest L/R dispersion difference between the three
    • Highest average spin
    • Most punished on mishits

Driver finally showed up today (ordered in January)!

IMG_8059.jpg

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9°, UST Lin-Q Purple 7F5 1” tipped

3 Wood:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Titanium Rocket 13.5°, UST Lin-Q Purple 7F5

2 Iron:  :callaway-small: X Forged UT 18°, Mitsubishi MMT UT 105 TX

4-PW:  :callaway-small: X Forged CB irons, DG Tour Issue x100 +1” 2° flat

Wedges:  :mizuno-small: T20, KBS Wedge shaft, 50°/54°/58°

Putter:  Toulon Atlanta, Stroke Lab Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1x Optic Yellow

Bag:  :Ogio: 2021 Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag

Shot Tracking:  :Arccos: