TESTERS WANTED! ×

Driving Range Ideas

A dream of mine which I would love to make a reality, is to have a place in my area to be able to hit all year long. and be able to hit whenever I can(any hour I am free).

Maybe I am in the minority in this category but I love to practice and just hit balls on the range and improve my swing. This as of that last year and a half( a child later and another on the way) has been happening very little. Between working at work or working around the house, helping with the kids or helping the wife with whatever she needs, the golf practice has been lacking. Looking into my schedule there is a time frame that would be perfect to  be able to get away for an hour or 2 that I could practice. Only issue currently is weather in Ohio is not the best and it is dark when my window is open to practice. 

My solution...a  lit night range or a nice place to hit indoors(DOME or simulator) year round would be great. The closest place to be able to do this is currently about 30-40 minutes away. being in the country/ a rural area it is tough to say whether or not it would last or be profitable to build one.

My question for the mygolfspy fam is if anyone else has any wisdom on building a driving range/Lit range/ year round facility? or any other things they do to keep their game sharp all year round, or at night when that is the only time they can? 

I have land that I could potentially build a range but for me to be able to I have to prove that it is worth it or profitable. As of now that is a big unknown being out in the country.

:918457628_PrecisionPro:-NX9 HD slope

:scotty-small:-Newport 2.5

:vokey-small:-Sm8 (50,56,60)

:Miura:=4-PW TC-201

:mizuno-small:-2 iron HMB MP 20

:callaway-small:-Driver --Mavrik Sub Zero

The best option for you would be a hitting net and/or launch monitor. Can be done outside, a room in your house, or garage.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Your own range... every golfers dream - but most of us don't have the land, so we settle for hitting nets and monitors...  I share the desire to practice at home - and am starting to chronicle it here: 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

I have always had this idea for a driving range where everything is turfed to keep down on maintenance. While a turf range isn't all that unique would make it different is that a 4 green, 3 hole reversible course (also turfed) would be built around the border of the netting that encloses the driving range. Would be able to provide a little bit of everything, even for golfers who have an hour or less of time.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I definitely understand the struggle.  I have three kids, ages 6, 4, and 2, so like you, I've slowed down a lot compared to what I used to be able to do.  Now that working from home is the norm, I find it easier to get to the range over lunch hour or even play nine.  Central Indiana weather is very similar to NE Ohio and I went from hitting in the garage to a net to now having a skytrak and simulator screen set up.  The net and golf mat was still great!  It kept me swinging all winter long and staying in "golf shape".  I noticed an immediate difference in 2020 compared to previous years when I was unable to swing a club.

I definitely recommend at minimum getting a net and golf mat to keep swinging and hitting real golf balls.  Yes, you might instill a bad habit or two, but I can say that my speed and ball contact stayed over the winter.  Usually the first 4 weeks, I'm lacking confidence and making sure I can still find the club face.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Locally I’m lucky enough to have a First Tee facility that has an indoor driving range.  6 bays I think with around 50-60ft in front of you.  They have the same LM equipment that the PGASS in Denver has.  “About Golf’ brand.  The staff acknowledges the LM numbers will not be as good as Trackman’s or GC’s. Good enough though but I will say there are inconsistencies from bay to bay.  $200 grants me access from November until May. Wish they had longer hours, the short hours only allows me to hit 1-2 times a week.

My dream is to take the closed down Kmart and turn that into an indoor facility.  Hitting bays, short game area, big putting green. Charge by the hour or seasonal memberships.  That building is 60,000 SqFt.  I’m not sure I could generate enough business to float the rent on that building.  Plus the start up equipment costs might be eye watering 🙄

19 minutes ago, toehold57 said:

My dream is to take the closed down Kmart and turn that into an indoor facility.  Hitting bays, short game area, big putting green. Charge by the hour or seasonal memberships.  That building is 60,000 SqFt.  I’m not sure I could generate enough business to float the rent on that building.  Plus the start up equipment costs might be eye watering 🙄

I had the same idea about 15 years ago when I moved to Tennessee. Put plans together, went to the local chamber of commerce. Found an old Walmart building that they left after building a new bigger one down the road. I was going to put in mini golf for all, putting course for adults, simulators for range time or course play, sand area for bunker practice, batting cages for baseball and softball. I was even going with a concession stand and even talked to my local golf shop to move into the location as well.

Sounds good right!

Then I was told I had to come up with $200,000 up front money to cover rent and equipment then get insurance on top of that. Rent was calculated based on the amount of square feet I needed. After calculating the amount of rounds / rental time and such needed to make this all work, I quickly abandoned the idea. Not to mention re- mortgaging my house and dipping into some of my retirement funds. That would have led to divorce #2. 

I say go with a net  and a Mevo for data.  

I have 6 acres so was able to make my own practice area. 100 yard hole with a green (synthetic turf), a separate chipping area. I had a large sand trap but filled it in due to raccoons, possums and cats believing it was a giant litter box. I have a simulator in one of the garage bays under the house. Its currently an Optishot2 with a Mevo for additional data. I do like to practice alone for the most part. I do live 2 miles from two different courses that have a range if I want to let the big dog out.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

20 hours ago, Briton said:

A dream of mine which I would love to make a reality, is to have a place in my area to be able to hit all year long. and be able to hit whenever I can(any hour I am free).

Maybe I am in the minority in this category but I love to practice and just hit balls on the range and improve my swing. This as of that last year and a half( a child later and another on the way) has been happening very little. Between working at work or working around the house, helping with the kids or helping the wife with whatever she needs, the golf practice has been lacking. Looking into my schedule there is a time frame that would be perfect to  be able to get away for an hour or 2 that I could practice. Only issue currently is weather in Ohio is not the best and it is dark when my window is open to practice. 

My solution...a  lit night range or a nice place to hit indoors(DOME or simulator) year round would be great. The closest place to be able to do this is currently about 30-40 minutes away. being in the country/ a rural area it is tough to say whether or not it would last or be profitable to build one.

My question for the mygolfspy fam is if anyone else has any wisdom on building a driving range/Lit range/ year round facility? or any other things they do to keep their game sharp all year round, or at night when that is the only time they can? 

I have land that I could potentially build a range but for me to be able to I have to prove that it is worth it or profitable. As of now that is a big unknown being out in the country.

Welcome to MGS. Lots of threads and posts here on backyard or indoor practice areas. As to a 'dome', not sure if it's still operating, but there was a golf dome in Chagrin Falls (I see you're from NE Ohio). That might also be a solution for you (if it's still operating). 

On a different topic - there are a bunch of guys from the Cleveland area here that occasionally get together. @MattF, is kinda our coordinator. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart