Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Kirkland wedge review (4 months of use)

So I've put some mileage on the well-discussed Kirkland wedge set... about 20 rounds now.  I've had a chance to test under a variety of conditions in Northern California (wet/dry, morning/afternoon, light/heavy rough, compacted/super-compacted sand) and I have to say that these wedges are the best value clubs that I've ever played.  I have played Vokey wedges for the past 10 years and I have found little to complain about in the transition to the Costco branded clubs.

Loft/bounce - Although the wedges don't offer much in the variety of bounce (10* or 11*) between the 3 clubs, I have been able to play tight lies and thick rough without a second thought.  At 52*, 56* and 60*, the wedges almost fit perfectly in the gap department with my 45* PW / 50* AW of my trusty Titleist AP1 910 irons.  A 54*/58*/62* option would have been ideal for me, but I've found the stepping of distances to be pretty good.  In fact, I'd taken my Vokey 60* out of the bag numerous times due to inconsistent yardages.  The Kirkland 60* has been a money club in the 65-70 yd department even from the fairway.  I'm able to open/close face to add variety to the bounce and lofts just as with any high end wedge on the market. 5/5

Grips - This is one minor area of complaint for me.  The grips are of standard thickness which I get... they are marketing to a wider range of golfers including women and kids.  I will likely go to a midsize grip in the summertime when the Sacramento valley sun increases the sweat potential and grip pressure increases with the possibility of losing grip.  To be fair, I've played with these standard grips and have been happy with the performance.  It took a round or two to get used to it, but I honestly don't even notice it anymore.   4.5/5

Look - If these looked clunky, there's no way I'd play them.  I don't have a tremendously discerning eye, but I think they look a lot like the Vokeys.  Top line is fine.  Size seems perfect to me. 5/5

Endurance - So after 20+ rounds, I'm seeing some wear marks on the clubs.  I'm a little surprised at how quickly they were to get scuffed up, but I can't say that I have noticed a difference with them.  I had an encounter with a granite rock on the toe with a lefty shot attempt, and it actually held up pretty well.  4.5/5

Cost - Come on.  I had an old Vokey reshafted/regripped and paid the same as what one of these wedges cost.  This is a no brainer. 5+/5

Overall - I brag about these bad boys every chance I get so I'm sure my regular group is getting a little tired of me talking them up.  If I ever hear a rumor that production is going to stop, I'm going to buy another set for when I need them.  What more do you need to know.

(I am not employed by Costco though I have eaten a ton of $1.50 hot dog and soda combos in my lifetime)

Edited by AAAustin

Driver: Callaway MAVRIK MAX 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 Graphite 6.0
Fairway Wood:  Callaway MAVRIK 15*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 Graphite 6.0
Hybrid:  Callaway Mavrik 19*/24*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 Graphite 5.5
Irons:  PXG 0311XF Gen2 (5-AW), 1*up, Nippon Modus Pro 105 (R-flex), PXG Z5 Black-midsize grips 
Wedges: Titleist SM8 54* & 58*, stock grips/shaft
Putter: Evnroll ER3, 34"
Bag: Sun Mountain 2023 4.5 LS 14-Way Stand Bag
Ball: Titleist ProV1x

• AAAustin changed the title to Kirkland wedge review (4 months of use)

Thanks for the review.   It seems that once again Costco has come out with a good club and one that can be had for a great value.  Happy for you finding a consistent lob wedge as well.  I fought for a long time whether I should carry one or not, but having that additional club with yardages for under 100 yards, just makes too much sense. Definitely going to keep a lob wedge in my bag from here on out.

Love the hot dog disclaimer as well.  Can't beat that deal.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

• 1 month later...

I agree with your review. I have been playing these wedges for a few months now and have been impressed with the spin I am getting. Like you, my only issue was the grip. Since it is hard for me to replace a new grip (I am frugal), I decided to wrap them using alien pro wraps that worked wonderfully. My biggest issue playing has been chunking my chip shots, but that is my fault. After being impressed with the wedges, I bought the putter. I wasn't a fan of the putter until I bought the weight set. Now, I have replaced my odyssey putter with the kirkland. I find that I have better distance control with the kirkland. 

Bag - :Ogio: Cart bag

Driver:cobra-small: - Cobra F8+  Tensei CK AV Blue 55

3 Wood :taylormade-small:-Taylormade RBZ 15 degree

4 hybrid -:taylormade-small: Taylormade RBZ 22 degree

5-p Irons -:titelist-small:Titleist AP2 714 - S300 Shaft

Approach Wedge -:taylormade-small: Taylormade Burner 2.0 

52, 56, 60 - Kirkland Wedge Set

Putter - Kirkland Putter or Odyssey White Hot Dart 

Ball - Kirkland v2

Pushing - :CaddyTek:  3 wheel swivel 

• 1 year later...