Testers Wanted! Shot Scope V5 ×

B.Boston’s Unofficial PuttOUT Putting System Review!

GolfSpy BOS

B.Boston’s PuttOUT Putting System Unofficial Review!

Hey Fellow Spies! It’s time for another unofficial B.Boston review.  This time I’ll be using and reviewing several of the PuttOUT putting aids.  Thanks to Harry’s recent giveaway for his new Instagram handle (@Nodwells.Daily.Dingers just in case you weren’t already following!) I received the new PuttOUT premium pressure putt trainer, putting mat, compact mirror, and the yet to be released putting rail!

07FD64D1-A23F-4E9F-AD52-E74C0EB7ECF9.jpeg.b8c74f4e7546f73e94a13f8a28e1c060.jpeg

I’ll take a dive into each of the aids and share my thoughts on them.  For reference I’ve been using the original PuttOUT pressure putt trainer and a SKLZ Accelerator pro putting mat when not putting on the carpet downstairs (its actually fairly fast and smooth).  

I originally got wind of the PuttOUT brand (surprise!) from a MGS post and the forums.  I read enough good things about it that I wanted to give it a try and replace the Disney putting cup that really never worked well.  Long story short I was hooked after making that first perfect putt and have never used a training aid to extent that I use this one ever.  It’s just so simple to use and addictive in nature.  I’m looking forward to going through some of the drills with the new aids and seeing how effective I think they are.

If there’s anything specific you’d like to know about some of the new gear let me know! 

In the meantime, here’s a clip of the office beginning of the test!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

FINAL REVIEWS!

Alright, so I’ve been practicing with the various components of the PuttOUT putting system for a few weeks now and have many thoughts as you’ll see below!  I really like what PuttOUT is doing with these putting aids.  They are all well built and feel like one cohesive package rather than several different putting aids they sell.  You can combine, mix, and match various pieces depending on what you would like to work on that day and each one feels like part of the brand. Kudos to the designers for making it all work well together.  So what do I think? Is “Practice More, Putt Less” a realistic outcome of the training aids?  Or is this a three-putt waiting to happen?

PuttOUT Premium Pressure Putt Trainer -  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ +⭐

D7E3037D-7107-46C1-A9F6-9F3D09D9E547.jpeg.8d35a7253f74e0de9017b2928fed9015.jpeg

I’m not sure I can rate this training aid high enough… so I gave it an extra star in my rating system!  Seriously though, I love this aid.  It’s so well designed and makes putting practice, addictive, and easy.  Trying to get your little white ball (or whatever color you use) to sit in the da*n little cutout so you can show your 6 year old that you REALLY are a good putter can be a lot of work, but the reward will be more strokes gained putting on the course.  

The beauty of the PuttOut Premium Pressure Putt Trainer and the original version is in its simplicity.  Roll the putt up the ramp, if it comes back down you would have made the putt.  Oh, and it rolls back approximately how far it would have rolled by the hole (not sure I totally believe that part).  Oh and if you happen to strike it pure and roll the perfect putt, you’ll be met with a satisfying and gravity defying click as your ball sits perched up in the PuttOut trainer’s ramp.  You’ll enjoy the walk over to tap it out, or if you’re like me your next target will be to knock that ball out so you can roll another perfect one.  

What I really love is that be design it encourages you to putt “past the hole” with its ramp design.  Also since it returns the ball towards you its not difficult to get a lot of quality practice in a short time without needing to chase putts all around the house.

The Premium model takes an already great training aid and adds to the formula by including a few new features. First, the Perfect Putt slot has been redesigned with a metallic medallion and silicone cup vs the prior generation lever and opening.  This gives you an easier target to focus on and after using both I really do think it makes it easier to focus on the perfect putt.  There are also three small dots on the base to serve as aim points for breaking putts.  “Aim Small, Miss Small” is taken to the next level here.  Lastly they have added an alignment stick holder to the top of the aid.  This can be very useful in working on your starting line or stroke while making some shorter putts.

To sum up, the original was great, and the new model expands upon the design with useful enhancements that add to the enjoyment.  I’ll continue to use this daily… speaking of which, I think it’s time for me to go hit some more putts! 

PuttOUT Medium Putting Mat –  ⭐⭐⭐⭐

032E3E95-3806-4F66-A699-BCFDC2A7F412.jpeg.9661ab3094251a3b8aaed6d0d00eb10d.jpeg

I’m a big fan of PuttOUT’s putting mat.  I like the design, markings, and size.  It’s great for practice and rolls out flat on both my hardwood floors and carpet.  I was actually surprised that I could use it well on the carpet.  I’m guessing this is due to the thick rubber under layer used.  It bend easy, lays flat, and has a nice heft to it.  The lines and markings are painted on there well and are straight. Along with markers for each foot along the mat there are two alignment lines as you more further from the target.  It just so happens that my floor has just enough slope that I can putt it along this start line and watch the ball curl to the target as it slows down.  Great for practicing breaking putts! 

There are several putting drills outlined on the packaging when you get them.  I’ve tried each and think they’re well thought out, and different enough to not feel repetitive.  I wouldn’t say you need a mat for any of them, but the markers certainly help:

• Repetition Putt Drill (Try to make 25 in a row from 5-feet). If you miss, start over.
    • This really adds pressure on the last few putts and knowing that the PGA tour average is around 80% from this distance means we average Joe’s SHOULD be able to make the same flat 5 foot putt 25 times in a row.
  • Perfect Putt Drill (3-footer)
    • This is a good drill to dial in pace and line on those shorter putts.  The goal is simple, get a perfect putt!
  • The PuttOUT Challenge
    • Take one putt from each step on the ladder (1 to 6 feet).
    • 1 Point for a made putt, 3 points for a perfect putt.  Beat your high score!
  • Pace Putting Drill (this one is hard!)
    • Putt in the opposite direction on the mat, starting at target and back up to the 5-6 foot markings.  Make sure your putt stays in the dotted endzone.  See how many you can do in a row.
  • Alignment Lines
    • Use the alignment lines to practice rolling the ball fully down the line.   This works on your path and face angle all at once.

Or you can challenged by your fellow spies and blend it all into one! I’ve shared this before but I’ll share it again:

I only have one knock against the putting mat.  It does seem to develop channels along the way to the cup. I know this is not exclusive to the PuttOUT brand mat, but its still an annoyance if you are trying to do some gate work.  A quick vacuum or brush of the hand has seemed to work and when doing the normal drills I do not find it to be impactful to a good practice session.

PuttOUT Compact Putting Mirror – ⭐⭐⭐

C32FC98C-8B0A-42AA-8611-80D847E173E6.jpeg.282201581b33ba771b308875ae5d7593.jpeg

This is the one part of the system that just doesn’t seem to work for me.  Now, is likely be 100% on me, it seems I set up too far inside to really make use of the mirror’s lines.  For reference I use a 67* lie angle on my putter which is about 3 flat from standard.  That would suggest that I set the putter up further from my body.  Perhaps the full sized mirror with its wider reach would work for me.

I tried to recreate what I see after getting set up when I look into the mirror and it is just the top of my  hair and forehead.  If I get my eyes over the center line, or even just inside it I feel like I am about to fall over.  For reference,  I took my normal set up position then held an alignment stick up by my left eye and dropped it.  As you can see I’m a good full ball length behind the ball.  The combination of the 180* line on the ball and the line on my putter seem to make this work well for me, so its not something I’m itching to change.

62FC4432-C35D-40F0-AB3C-2C684699487F.jpeg.eb0cc879486b063b6aeeced639c952bd.jpeg

Outside of my personal setup issue, the mirror itself works great.  The rubber feet on the underside of the unit keep it in place on the PuttOUT Mat and my carpet.  Ball roll easily back into the mirror to reset and go, and seemed to rest just fine until I made a stroke.  

If you have a mirror it’s probably not worth the upgrade, but if you don’t have one and want one I think this is a good model if you have a more traditional set up.  If you’re like me and set up more inside you might need a wider mirror to get much benefit.

PuttOUT Putting Plane – ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

800E0763-5985-4883-B2B7-9F3CC3DF7EC8.png.3824fb762e5323c200eb0d0885806ed3.png

And now on to the most exciting part of this review, the yet to be released to the public PuttOUT Putting Plane!  This system is made up of several modular pieces that can be used in a few different configurations.  It’s made up of two putting gates, 2 half-sized alignment sticks (plus an adapter to join them together), and the canvas plane with markings.  All the components feel very well made.  The aluminum or steel gates are solid and the rubber feet at heavy and soft to the touch.  The canvas plane feels like the same material most golf bags are made from, and I think it will hold up well over time.  

There are 4 main ways to setup and use the Putting Plane:

• Putting Centerline
    • Use the gates to support the alignment stick over the ball.  This is great to get immediate feedback of putter path and aim.
  • Putting Plane
    • Use the plane and match the angle to your putter.  Run your putter heel along the plane to promote a smooth and even stroke.  The lines on the plane can be used to help work on your backstroke and through stroke lengths.
  • Alignment with Trainer
    • Use the alignment sticks joined together and your PuttOUT Pressure Putt Trainer to work with short straight putts to the cup.  I used a Gate on the back end.  This was great to make sure you are knocking those 3 footers into the center of the cup.
  • Starting Line Drill
    • Set a gate 1-2 feet away from the ball to make sure you’re starting the ball online by rolling it through the gate.
    • B.BOSTON BONUS EDITION:  Add a second gate to make sure you play the line and speed correctly all the way to the perfect putt!

I’m pretty confident in my stroke and alignment, especially after going to a putter fitting, but these drills still feel and work well to make sure things stay where they should.  At first I didn’t get what the plane was really trying to accomplish, but after finding the best angle for me it was a nice guide to feel a good path.  I think this would be especially helpful people who have inconsistent paths.  

IMG_4105.GIF.292a5968237046193a4265bd1298c5a7.GIF

Using just the two alignment sticks in the “rail” setup I got a lot of the same feels as with the canvas plane set up.  

IMG_4106.GIF.745c25fc16845d265966d1cdc739e1a1.GIF

Then you can graduate to using the centerline drill or attaching the alignment stick to your Pressure Putt Trainer fine tune your stroke with immediate results.  

DCE4EF20-7EF9-4EBB-B434-AE0F264C871D.gif.55be133ffe8b53eb1d116f8f842764df.gif IMG_4107.GIF.15568cb84f329773dc7397eacf25cd4c.GIF

Generally I found using the gates better for me rather than the combination with the PuttOUT Pressure Putt Trainer.  I prefer to work on my putting around the 5 foot mark.

My favorite way to practice with this setup was actually the Starting Line drill, where you use a gate a foot or two in front of you.  It allowed me to go through my normal alignment and putting routine and added the extra challenge on ensuring the ball starts off on line.  No partial credit for “good misses” here as they get knocked offline by the gate.  Here’s a clip of me using both gates on a slight right to left breaking putt.  Nailed it! 

FD1200AF-C712-4920-B0EB-BFFCEDF77980.gif.7fa61fc56c42798f0f5fa29bc0c2659a.gif

Overall and Closing Thoughts:

It should be obvious by this point I am a big fan of PuttOUT’s training aids.  The pressure putt trainer is down right addictive and a blast to use.  After owning the original and comparing it to the premium model I do believe they have improved on the original design.  Also,  while I don’t have the data to back it up, I can assure you that I am rolling the ball closer and past the hole more often than before I started regularly using the aid.

While the mirror didn’t work for me and my setup, I can see it being beneficial to many who struggle with setup.  

Both the mat and putting plane are also both excellent tools to help your putting improve.  I really like the mat and how quickly it rolls out flat.  My old mat required come books or something on the end for several minutes to remain flat.  The plane is sneakily a 4 or 5 in one training aid.  I really liked adding the putting gates to my practice. I’ll probably throw one in my bag to drop down on the practice green before rounds.  

Putt well my friends!

7D800794-CC1A-491D-AB9D-4F38CA03C207.jpeg.cf0bd2ef7fa918906bdad6298134410a.jpeg

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Have the original Trainer and mirror .. also a big fan! .. and really like the slimmed down look of the new Compact Mirror! 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Have the original Trainer and mirror .. also a big fan! .. and really like the slimmed down look of the new Compact Mirror! 

The mirror is slim and easy to toss in your bag which is great. It might be a little too slim for where I set my eyes, or maybe it’s showing me I need to work on my setup. I’ve got some more testing to do there!

The PuttOUT trainer is top notch and I think they did actually improve on the design. It’s easily the most addictive training aid I’ve ever used.

Love the video - made me laugh (probably shows my age...)

Question about the mirror - I have their first iteration. I wasn’t keen on their path aids (which it looks like they are skipping on this narrower one) but what always got stuck in my mind was the the notch the ball sits in... to me it seemed like in kept the ball from really starting off line...  could have just been a me thing, but I quit using it altogether and went back to my Pelz trainer w the marbles. I’m curious what you experience w the notch. 

Also (dumb question) I don’t see the difference between the trainer version one and this new version... how is it really different? I mean the “micro target” doesn’t have a hole... but the ball still has to stick there.  What am I missing?

Enjoy your addiction. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

18 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Love the video - made me laugh (probably shows my age...)

Question about the mirror - I have their first iteration. I wasn’t keen on their path aids (which it looks like they are skipping on this narrower one) but what always got stuck in my mind was the the notch the ball sits in... to me it seemed like in kept the ball from really starting off line...  could have just been a me thing, but I quit using it altogether and went back to my Pelz trainer w the marbles. I’m curious what you experience w the notch. 

Also (dumb question) I don’t see the difference between the trainer version one and this new version... how is it really different? I mean the “micro target” doesn’t have a hole... but the ball still has to stick there.  What am I missing?

Enjoy your addiction. 

1. The Notch seems like a great modification as you can easily set it up and get a clean roll out of the notch.  So far I do wish the mirror was a bit wider, but I guess I set up with my eyes well inside the ball (it doesn’t feel like I’m that far inside).

2.  The differences between the old model and the new model are:

-Alignment stick holder on the top of the rail for “ultimate precision” on short putts.

-Multiple Targets (the small black dots at the back of the hole) help you “aim small, miss small.”

-The perfect putt cut out now uses the silver medallion and silicone pop so it is easier to see and target.

For that last one I didn’t think it would make a difference, but I do notice the perfect putt opening more easily than I did on the prior version. 

A145CCFD-3A91-4AEA-996A-823D852B9E25.jpeg.1af51745c6e805fbedbf9008b3883135.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Review is up!  Always willing to follow up and keep a discussion going here!

I really enjoyed the review @B.Boston! PuttOut is an excellent product, trying to get that perfect putt is both addictive and frustrating. The putting plane is pretty cool and was what I was wondering about the first time I saw it. Thank you for going into such great detail! 

On 3/23/2021 at 1:26 PM, B.Boston said:

yet to be released to the public PuttOUT Putting Plane!  This system is made up of several modular pieces that can be used in a few different configurations. 

Nice. The multi-configurations looks like everyone could find a use. I’m not sure I’d use the canvas plane, but I’d try the alignment sticks thru the gate.  I’ve got their original gates hat came with the mirror - no margin for error. Are these a little more generous - without being overly wide?  I actually quit using them because if they were four feet away they were just too had to get thru. Too close and I’d clip the top w my putter. (Why I’ve stuck w the Pelz marble system). How much will it retail for?

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Nice. The multi-configurations looks like everyone could find a use. I’m not sure I’d use the canvas plane, but I’d try the alignment sticks thru the gate.  I’ve got their original gates hat came with the mirror - no margin for error. Are these a little more generous - without being overly wide?  I actually quit using them because if they were four feet away they were just too had to get thru. Too close and I’d clip the top w my putter. (Why I’ve stuck w the Pelz marble system). How much will it retail for?

I have no idea what it will retail for, or even when it will be out. If I had to guess a price, I’d think somewhere in the $70-90 range.

The gates are a little under 2.5inches wide. Call it 60mm, so 10mm wider than what it shows online for the full size mirror and gate.IMG_4213.jpg

Great write-up/review Brian! That is a pretty clever system and training tool.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Thanks B.Boston. Your review was well composed and very informative. I noticed that the original Putt-Out is selling at Walmart for $24.95. I also have a question, how do you cook with the putting mat running through your kitchen?....LOL

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

11 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

Thanks B.Boston. Your review was well composed and very informative. I noticed that the original Putt-Out is selling at Walmart for $24.95. I also have a question, how do you cook with the putting mat running through your kitchen?....LOL

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I’m a very good putter and a crappy cook. 😂

that’s my favorite spot to put the mat down for some putting practice upstairs at night. It’s strategically placed so that I can still see the TV and am out of view/earshot of the kids bedroom in the hallway.  It’s also why I like how it rolls out flat since my wife won’t let me leave it there all the time. 😉

• 1 month later...

For anyone who was interested I saw on Instagram that the Putting Plane is available for purchase now.  I believe it is right around $89, but right now due to my work VPN I am seeing Canadian dollar prices.

12 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

For anyone who was interested I saw on Instagram that the Putting Plane is available for purchase now.  I believe it is right around $89, but right now due to my work VPN I am seeing Canadian dollar prices.

Looks like you are correct on the price, I got on the website to check it out, and got distracted by the fact you can rotate the image. Screenshot_20210507-120139_Firefox-01.jpeg.369fcd1d463244260163116931b1ab5a.jpegScreenshot_20210507-120407_Firefox-01.jpeg.03ed665914779bc5657f98925c6ab2cc.jpeg