Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Tried some new drivers yesterday--sticking with my G400 Max

Hook DeLoft

Yesterday I went to Edwin Watts and hit a few drivers on the launch monitor.  Tried the Titleist TSi1, Cobra XD, and Callaway Epic Max.  My swing sucked and I was getting some pretty discouraging numbers.  Toward the end I made a swing adjustment and the numbers went from meh to great.  I was hitting the Callaway at the time.  I thought, well I'll go with the Callaway but then tried my old G400 Max with the swing adjustment and was getting as good if not better numbers.  Obviously, I didn't try everything out there, and being a club ho I'll try others, but, for now, I'm sticking with the Ping.  I did feel guilty for taking so much of his time, so I bought a $32 hat that I don't need.

I will say there is a lesson here as pertains to fittings.  When I started out, I was hitting everything with a left to right curve, which isn't my normal ball flight.  I was also swinging at about 85 mph with a flat angle of attack, so he was putting me in senior shafts with heads with a draw bias.  After adjusting my swing, my swing speed went up to 89 with an upward angle of attack and a right to left ball shape.  And my carry distance went from 180 to 205 to 210.  So, if you know you are not swinging well the day of the fitting and can't fix it, walk away and try again another time.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS