Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Best Putting Mat on Carpet

Wondering what the best putting Mat on top of carpet is. I have a puttout trainer and in my new house the carpet is a little slow. Looking for the right mat to fit over the carpet to practice putting. Any and all suggestions would be helpful!

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Assuming this is for inside, and not a permanent installation - Take a hard look at BirdieBall. I’m currently using their PuttUp, and involved in the review of that; but they make all sorts of sizes. And before you say “I don’t need a hole, that’s what the PuttOut is for”... you can use both.  I had (still have in my closet) the PuttOut mat, but I thought it was slow, and I literally wore a groove down the center. So beware of carpet like things. I’m really impressed w the quality of the BirdieBall turf. They don’t have all the lines and markings that some like Wellputt or PuttOut do - and I see that value. But I’ve got other training aids to help me on alignment.  I like the turf. It’s thick enough you can lay on top of carpet - assuming is like a firm Berber and not shag - I laid a piece of plywood down in the room with shag as it’s just too soft. You can chip onto it. It doesn’t get a groove. It’s got good speed - in fact for most of their products you can pick from three speeds. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

None of the putting mats are going to be optimal on thick carpet, that's really where the panel or platform greens are best. Find a hard surface for your putt out. This video is a bit slanted, as his greens have the most pros & least amount of cons, but it does review most options.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Definitely looking at the birdieball putting mat. Read through all of your reviews and it really looks great. I think I might go with it. How is the durability?

21 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Assuming this is for inside, and not a permanent installation - Take a hard look at BirdieBall. I’m currently using their PuttUp, and involved in the review of that; but they make all sorts of sizes. And before you say “I don’t need a hole, that’s what the PuttOut is for”... you can use both.  I had (still have in my closet) the PuttOut mat, but I thought it was slow, and I literally wore a groove down the center. So beware of carpet like things. I’m really impressed w the quality of the BirdieBall turf. They don’t have all the lines and markings that some like Wellputt or PuttOut do - and I see that value. But I’ve got other training aids to help me on alignment.  I like the turf. It’s thick enough you can lay on top of carpet - assuming is like a firm Berber and not shag - I laid a piece of plywood down in the room with shag as it’s just too soft. You can chip onto it. It doesn’t get a groove. It’s got good speed - in fact for most of their products you can pick from three speeds. 

In my bag:

@cciciora13 It’s not like a Birdieball, it’s a “track”, but I really like mine. The Perfect Practice putting mat. It works well on the berber carpet in our bedroom, it rolls-up to be stored (I keep mine in the closet between uses), and it comes with a normal sized hole, and a small hole. Automatic return down the wooden track too. I works great for me.

https://www.perfectpractice.golf/products/the-perfect-practice-putting-mat?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=7340246590&utm_keyword=perfect practice putting mat&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkKXM9rDK7wIVz73ACh2l1wLGEAAYAyAAEgIdufD_BwE

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

2 hours ago, cciciora13 said:

How is the durability?

I would say the surface is like I just pulled it out of the box - of course I did that back in late September. I have no signs of wear or tear.  The edges of the holes are nice and crisp. I have to sweep or pick some lint off it occasionally.  But it’s in new condition. Full disclosure I have no small children or dogs - and the cats don’t do anything to it. I’m on it probably five days out of seven.  It’s been in and out of the box a dozen times.  Here at the  hotel I walk a-crossed it even if I’m not putting or chipping daily as it’s in the middle of the floor. It’s spongy and has a bit of give by design, but just like a real green your tracks disappear immediately. One of the other reviewers had to order a fill kit after his kid took a divot out of it - you might message him and ask how it turned out. I’ll see if I can prod the guys into posting some long term experience, durability experiences. 

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts

I've got a Wellput mat that I use on both carpet and on my floorboards. It runs pretty consistently like a putting green, and it has alignment aids on it as well.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

I would say the surface is like I just pulled it out of the box - of course I did that back in late September. I have no signs of wear or tear.  The edges of the holes are nice and crisp. I have to sweep or pick some lint off it occasionally.  But it’s in new condition. Full disclosure I have no small children or dogs - and the cats don’t do anything to it. I’m on it probably five days out of seven.  It’s been in and out of the box a dozen times.  Here at the  hotel I walk a-crossed it even if I’m not putting or chipping daily as it’s in the middle of the floor. It’s spongy and has a bit of give by design, but just like a real green your tracks disappear immediately. One of the other reviewers had to order a fill kit after his kid took a divot out of it - you might message him and ask how it turned out. I’ll see if I can prod the guys into posting some long term experience, durability experiences. 

How is the birdie ball speed? Too fast if you go with the medium speed mat?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my bag:

4 hours ago, cciciora13 said:

How is the birdie ball speed?

I may not be the best person to answer that. They made the PuttUp intentionally fast to get the ball to roll back to you if you miss. I would think the medium speed mat would be ok. If you are looking for a specific stimp speed email them and ask. They are a family business and very responsive. 

I thought my PuttOut mat was too slow.  My BB is much faster. But you sound like you are looking for something in between. 

I hate to punt, but I also don’t want you grumbling about that idiot from Iowa in the future... Call or email them and ask about specific speed. The clearly have rolls of different turf. 

I may not be the best person to answer that. They made the PuttUp intentionally fast to get the ball to roll back to you if you miss. I would think the medium speed mat would be ok. If you are looking for a specific stimp speed email them and ask. They are a family business and very responsive. 

I thought my PuttOut mat was too slow.  My BB is much faster. But you sound like you are looking for something in between. 

I hate to punt, but I also don’t want you grumbling about that idiot from Iowa in the future... Call or email them and ask about specific speed. The clearly have rolls of different turf. 

Yes I talked with them today. She assured me that medium speed was the most popular and that you can brush the turf to either speed up or slow the speed. Just pulled the trigger on it today. Pretty excited. Thank you for all of your help. Ready to get better on the greens.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my bag:

24 minutes ago, cciciora13 said:

Just pulled the trigger on it today.

Cool. Hope you like it as much as I like mine.  Make sure you find a place to share your results.