Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

St. Andrews and Area

JohnBarry

Been thinking about that bu8cket list trip across the pond to Scotland. My golf packager for Pinehurst owns several houses in Pinehurst he uses for his bookings, and 1 6 Bedroom, former B&B now a golfer's paradise for up 12 people right on the course! (The Village you always see on tv). I have our place to stay, but would much rather play the hidden gems, the great value courses that no one really go looking for, within 30 minutes or so of the Road Couse!

Anyone done this trip before, any tips, tricks, pubs we must hit. here is a link to his website:  https://www.clubhousepropertiesnc.com/ Here is a link to his house: https://www.clubhousepropertiesnc.com/newpageaccdd28e

Let him know John Barry referred you if you ever use him.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

They aren’t hidden, but if you are there you’ll have just as much fun on the New and a jubilee (at least my group of 20 did) and most thought (to my chagrin) the best of the bunch was KingsBarns.   Nearby - Crail - unless the NLU boys make in-hidden it.  But honestly, you need to rent a car/van/bus w driver and head north. My highlights were Cruden Bay and Royal Aberdeen - not exactly hidden gems either but awesome. But on the road you will just drive past so many courses you’ll see from the side of the road you can just stop at. 

it’s the wrong island, but when I made my bucket list trip to Ireland we drove ourselves and happened to drive through Bandon Ireland. Sure enough there was a golf course there (complete w castle) so we stopped, asked and played. Was never on the itinerary. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

I want to go so bad, but drinking at the pubs will be big for us (bunch of card playing, golfing drunks) so traveling a ton might not be in the cards. Do they have Uber and Lyft over there?

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

On 3/24/2021 at 2:42 PM, JohnBarry said:

Been thinking about that bu8cket list trip across the pond to Scotland. My golf packager for Pinehurst owns several houses in Pinehurst he uses for his bookings, and 1 6 Bedroom, former B&B now a golfer's paradise for up 12 people right on the course! (The Village you always see on tv). I have our place to stay, but would much rather play the hidden gems, the great value courses that no one really go looking for, within 30 minutes or so of the Road Couse!

Anyone done this trip before, any tips, tricks, pubs we must hit. here is a link to his website:  https://www.clubhousepropertiesnc.com/ Here is a link to his house: https://www.clubhousepropertiesnc.com/newpageaccdd28e

Let him know John Barry referred you if you ever use him.

We went as 3 couples several years ago and it was the greatest trip my wife and I have been on. She does not even golf and loved it. I would highly suggest you check out the link below. Allan Ferguson knows probably more than anyone regarding golfing in Scotland. I would even suggest you purchase his book. He provides a lot of great information about booking your own trip as well as information about many hidden golf courses.

http://fergusongolf.com/

We plan to go back in 2022!

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Well, just talked with my packager and he said if we didn't plan on playing the Old Course, he would do Ireland instead. Being Irish, I love the idea, but pricing wise it went from 2250.00 to 2513.00 per person. Course list is fantastic, includes 5 days and nights, 5 rounds, our own private bus driver, taxes, etc. 

Anyone do Southern Ireland and have anything to say about it or which would you prefer, Ireland, Ballybounon or Scotland and the Old Course?

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

On 3/25/2021 at 9:21 AM, JohnBarry said:

I want to go so bad, but drinking at the pubs will be big for us (bunch of card playing, golfing drunks) so traveling a ton might not be in the cards. Do they have Uber and Lyft over there?

If you're staying at the property your friend advertises on Murray Park in St Andrews, you won't need Uber.  Drive to play golf, if you're not playing right in town, drive home and park.  You can walk (or even crawl) to more than enough pubs and restaurants.  I stayed in that same spot in 2012, when it was run as a B&B.  My wife and I had the top corner room, the turret.

1 hour ago, JohnBarry said:

Well, just talked with my packager and he said if we didn't plan on playing the Old Course, he would do Ireland instead. Being Irish, I love the idea, but pricing wise it went from 2250.00 to 2513.00 per person. Course list is fantastic, includes 5 days and nights, 5 rounds, our own private bus driver, taxes, etc. 

Anyone do Southern Ireland and have anything to say about it or which would you prefer, Ireland, Ballybounon or Scotland and the Old Course?

I've done both, and always done all the planning myself.  Either place, you can drive yourselves.  Personally, I prefer less windshield time and more pub time, so I've planned trips to minimize driving.  St Andrews you can play probably 2 dozen good to great golf courses within an hours drive, return to your home base every night, and never have to pack and unpack.  Ireland is generally more spread out, longer drives, potentially more different lodging, more windshield time, more packing and unpacking.  But Ireland is definitely more scenic.  I enjoy both, and would go back to either one tomorrow if I could.  

I'd generally suggest that for a first-timer to the British Isles, St Andrews can't be beat.  Don't worry about ticking off "must play" boxes, you'll find lots of advice on what you have to do, and really you don't.  You'll never see it all, or play them all, and once you go the first time, you'll always want to go back.  Go to St Andrews, immerse yourself in the culture, in the home of golf.  

Edited by DaveP043

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia