Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

First attempt at re-gripping

Good afternoon everyone.  I'm trying my hand at re-gripping this afternoon.  With a little patience I think I can get it done.  I don't have a garage or shop to work out of, but fortunately I remembered this countertop mountable vice that I got a few years ago.  I will post a couple updates as I go.

20210324_134235.jpg

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

Good afternoon everyone.  I'm trying my hand at re-gripping this afternoon.  With a little patience I think I can get it done.  I don't have a garage or shop to work out of, but fortunately I remembered this countertop mountable vice that I got a few years ago.  I will post a couple updates as I go.
20210324_134235.jpg.291cbe648239c9726b06bd9cb3d14066.jpg

It really isn’t that hard and the vice will Make it easier. Do you have the rubber shaft clamp? That is I Important so you don’t damage the shaft in the clamp.

Just take your time and use plenty of solvent. You can even do it without a vice, just makes it a little tougher to get everything lined up.

You got this!!!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Good luck. Regripping is very easy, it’s just really messy without the rig golf shops use, e.g. soft vise, tape dispenser and solvent catch pan. You DON’T want to be stingy with the solvent, hence the mess for the DIYer. It takes less than 15 seconds per club with the right equipment. You probably know you need to let the grip “relax” once it’s on, they usually stretch out or compress lengthwise depending on how you push/pull them on, you’ll want to coax them back to their natural length, not stretched or compressed - another reason to use LOTS of solvent so they can slide easily at first. And of course aligning them is nice but not essential for most grips (without alignment aides).

ggs.jpg

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

19 hours ago, cnosil said:

It really isn’t that hard and the vice will Make it easier. Do you have the rubber shaft clamp? That is I Important so you don’t damage the shaft in the clamp.

Just take your time and use plenty of solvent. You can even do it without a vice, just makes it a little tougher to get everything lined up.

You got this!!!

I bought a kit that came with one and as a bonus, that vice is for wood working and comes with rubber pads as well.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Edited by AmishJason

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

It took a little figuring on the fly, but iron #1 is done.  Before anyone gets carried away, it's an 8 iron and not an actual 1 iron.  

20210324_141852.jpg

I now have a solid setup with the right equipment, but i used to do it outside with basically no equipment. Put a bunch of solvent on the tape and in the grip and push it on. With a proper shaft vice now its much easier and i can better line up grip logos, etc.

EDIT: I saw that its an Align grip, so yeah, need to be more precise with lining it up with that grip

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I do have a 1 iron that matches the set....is it useful?  Nope.  It's just a conversation piece.

16166139779025662346647223726797.jpg

7 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I now have a solid setup with the right equipment, but i used to do it outside with basically no equipment. Put a bunch of solvent on the tape and in the grip and push it on. With a proper shaft vice now its much easier and i can better line up grip logos, etc.

EDIT: I saw that its an Align grip, so yeah, need to be more precise with lining it up with that grip

Yes indeed.  I watched the video from Golf Pride on how to properly install the Align series.  It seems to just take a hair more patience and attention to detail, but that could just be me.  To quote a popular saying on here, "Your miles may vary."

Watch those wood floors with the grip solvent. You will get in the dog house real quick!

Tip. Put a golf tee in the hole of the new grip at the butt end to keep the solvent in while coating the inside of the grip.  Cut a soda bottle or milk jug in half lengthwise. Place the container under the grip location. Remember to put the cap back on the bottle then as you pour the solvent over the tape the excess will go into the container. Then you can reuse it on the next grip. Remove the bottle cap and pour it into the next grip. The more solvent the better to get the grips to slide on easily. Most grips have an alignment mark by the end of the grip that is open. I mark the shaft with a sharpie marker on the spot. Then cut off the old grip. After taping and applying the solvent to the tape when sliding on the new grip you will know exactly where to align the new grip. Then wipe off the marker with some solvent. 

after the first few you will have it down pat. I've done hundreds of grips over the years. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Well, now I have hit a major set back.  For those who may not now, this set is not original to me and is at least 25 years old.  I bought them online and they came to me from South Dakota.  This shaft has rust all the way from the butt to the hosel on the inside.

20210324_143636.jpg

@Tom the Golf Nut, the kitchen is on the short (but not shortest list) list to be replaced anyhow.  In the mean time, I'm doing my best as I go and cleaning I'm between each club.

I've decided to keep going with the regripping.  The rust doesn't look like it is in danger of causing a shaft failure.  Plus, I play once or twice a month a best, so I should have a lot of life left in these.

And on a related note: DO NOT regrip clubs while wearing a silicone wedding ring.  Mine is now several sizes bigger than it should be.

16166180404025874644615810131941.jpg

Edited by AmishJason
Typos

Get yourself a Golfworks catalog. You'll find lots of trinkets to buy there for either regripping or even replacing shafts. It's a big boy catalog. 😄

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

3 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Get yourself a Golfworks catalog. You'll find lots of trinkets to buy there for either regripping or even replacing shafts. It's a big boy catalog. 😄

I have spent a lot of time on their website.  It's a dangerous place....for my bank account.

Nice work. sorry about the ring though.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Nice work. sorry about the ring though.

Thanks.   It was a case of learning on the go.  I didn't suspect that the solvent would have an affect similar to acetone on a rubber product.  So, I thought I would share in the hopes that someone on here learns from my mistake.

Looks good, I also did a home regripping this winter without really any equipment, but thankfully had a spot with a concrete floor. It was not the easiest with that set up but they ended up well. Though I avoided something like align as I was not confident that I could line it up that perfect, much braver than I on that front.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

42 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

Looks good, I also did a home regripping this winter without really any equipment, but thankfully had a spot with a concrete floor. It was not the easiest with that set up but they ended up well. Though I avoided something like align as I was not confident that I could line it up that perfect, much braver than I on that front.

I would have thought so too, but go watch a pro golf shop do grips - they align by eye! They take care to put the club in the vise with the head up square, but once they slide the grip on, they just sight down the shaft to align - and there are subtle marks that help. It’s not overly scientific. Even Golf Pride uses sighting for align grips https://www.golfpride.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2017-05-11_ALIGN_installation-guide-1.pdf

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

1 minute ago, Middler said:

I would have thought so too, but go watch a pro golf shop do grips - they align by eye! They take care to put the club in the vise with the head up square, but once they slide the grip on, they just sight down the shaft to align - and there are subtle marks that help. It’s not overly scientific. Even Golf Pride uses sighting for align grips https://www.golfpride.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2017-05-11_ALIGN_installation-guide-1.pdf

It make sense I am sure as you do it that becomes easy, just a trust yourself issue I guess.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Good job on the grips! I started regripping all of my clubs a few years ago and I'm really glad I did. It's dead easy to do. One thing I figured out to make things easy is to put a plastic tub under the grip and part of the shaft. I regrip in my garage, so I put the tub on some saw horses. Helps catch any extra solvent. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I don’t regrip my clubs myself because it only costs me $39 ($2.99x13) once a year at most. Between the solvent, tape and other (one time purchase) equipment to do it right/safely, it would take a couple years to break even. But I fully understand the appeal of DIY. YMMV

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

I got started changing grips back in the 70's when i worked at a CC and changed a few thousand while there.  Its a small investment to get what you 'need' to change your own grips - rubber shaft gripper for the vise, hook blades for the utility knife, small dispenser bottle for the solvent, grip tape.  After 40 years changing 100's of grips the investment has paid for itself many times over.  I use a paint roller pan to catch the gas I use as solvent so I don't have a fancy changing station.  Besides my grips, I get asked by quite a few friends to change their grips for them and they pay for whatever grip they want and I charge a small fee per club to do it.  I am probably doing 5 - 10 sets per year.  Plus whatever grip upgrade I need to do for a shaft I am testing out in a club that month to satisfy my club - ho'ing character flaw!

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

• 1 month later...

I have a few more things to organize in my garage but after that, I want to make space for a regrip station. I've been wanting to figure out how to do it myself because I hate paying the shops to do it. It may be a blessing and a curse to be the regrip guy for my golfing friends but it looks enjoyable and relaxing. I love the feeling of new grips.

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

Don't overlook the air compressor method to completely cut out the solvent mess.

WITB:

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° w/ UST ProForce V2 5F3 @ 45"

Callaway Epic Speed 4wd w/ AccuFLEX Evolution Reg

Dynacraft Genesis 3 hybrid w/ Steelfiber i95r

Srixon ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-GW w/ UST Recoil 95 F4 soft stepped once

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/10 w/ Recoil 95 F4 shaft

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03 w/ Recoil 95 F4 9i shaft

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

12 minutes ago, seeking70's said:

Don't overlook the air compressor method to completely cut out the solvent mess.

I've been looking at that. I have an air compressor and it looks like that could be the easier way to go. I also have a vice but I'm really scared about damaging my graphite shafts. How worried should I be about using those rubber inserts in the vice?

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

10 hours ago, TBS said:

I've been looking at that. I have an air compressor and it looks like that could be the easier way to go. I also have a vice but I'm really scared about damaging my graphite shafts. How worried should I be about using those rubber inserts in the vice?

I don't use the vice for installing grips with air.  It's really easy if you get the hang of it.

Of course one could use a low pressure compressor to install a rubber grip ( tougher with the multi material or multi layered grip ).  I like to use one with capacity of powering air tools.  Just dial down to the level suitable for the task.  Use more power when removing an old grip installed with tape and dial down to install a new grip.  There is a few tricks to learn along the way , including simple tools to prevent the ballooning of the grip while removing it.

A piece of cake to install the "align grips " with the reminders.  Adjust as many times as you please.  Which is a blessing with these grips.

One thing I had noticed from your posted photos.  Did you tap the end of the grip on the floor mat after you finished installing ?  The tapping is to make sure the end of the shaft is seated completely into the end of the grip.   Several of the grips in the photos looked like they were not 100% seated in . 

Edited by release

I just regripped my entire set for the first time using masking tape and an air compressor. I did but the rubber Vice insert to help hold the clubs.

I need to figure out the right air pressure, when installing they didn’t go on as easily as videos I’ve seen and they tried to blow back off a few times 

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

3 minutes ago, TBT said:

I just regripped my entire set for the first time using masking tape and an air compressor. I did but the rubber Vice insert to help hold the clubs.

I need to figure out the right air pressure, when installing they didn’t go on as easily as videos I’ve seen and they tried to blow back off a few times 

What pressure were you using?  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 minutes ago, TBT said:

What videos did you watch?  What air pressure?  Did you use short bursts of air instead of steady pressure?  Blue painters tape is nicer than masking tape, IMO.

I started using air about 10 years ago, and I have had no problems.  Some grips are a little more difficult than others, but it does work.  I use the Pure grips and the installation gun that Pure Grips sells, but it's not necessary; just handy and should last forever.

This video describes the process very well:

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”