TESTERS WANTED! ×

First attempt at re-gripping

I don't have an air compressor so solvent install is the way to go for me. One of the benefits of my doing the install is that I make sure the alignment marks (MCC+4) matches up to the position for my strong grip. It's a lot easier than having to explain to someone at the pro shop plus sometimes I experiment with additional layers of tape . Given the number of times my wife and I play year round we change out our grips about twice a year. Install savings combined with a bulk purchase from Golfworks,  and I end up save quite a bit of money 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

First off awesome job and glad you are getting the hang of it. I was thrown into the fire with regripping when I started with a proshop in Halifax. I joined their team in February right as their regripping sale started and after my first shift I had regripped nearly 20 sets of clubs. Went out of town for another assignment with my main work and came back a few weeks later and we had over 60 sets just waiting to be done. It doesn't take long to get the hang of it and after a while you can become quite quick. 
We used normal tape and solvent and only used the air compressor when we were trying to save grips or fixing mistakes (yes of course I made a few errors, but I made sure I got it all right in the end!)
Hoping to setup my own little station in our storage room in the garage once we get a few more things settled. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

18 hours ago, TBS said:

I've been looking at that. I have an air compressor and it looks like that could be the easier way to go. I also have a vice but I'm really scared about damaging my graphite shafts. How worried should I be about using those rubber inserts in the vice?

Definitely need something to protect the graphite shafts.  Post a picture of what you're working with.

WITB:

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° w/ UST ProForce V2 5F3 @ 45"

Callaway Epic Speed 4wd w/ AccuFLEX Evolution Reg

Dynacraft Genesis 3 hybrid w/ Steelfiber i95r

Srixon ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-GW w/ UST Recoil 95 F4 soft stepped once

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/10 w/ Recoil 95 F4 shaft

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03 w/ Recoil 95 F4 9i shaft

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

7 hours ago, cnosil said:

What pressure were you using?  

My compressor was set to 40 psi

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

7 hours ago, Kenny B said:

What videos did you watch?  What air pressure?  Did you use short bursts of air instead of steady pressure?  Blue painters tape is nicer than masking tape, IMO.

I started using air about 10 years ago, and I have had no problems.  Some grips are a little more difficult than others, but it does work.  I use the Pure grips and the installation gun that Pure Grips sells, but it's not necessary; just handy and should last forever.

This video describes the process very well:

I watched several videos, I had the compressor set to 40 psi, I tried to use sort bursts and constant pressure 

3 hours ago, TBT said:

My compressor was set to 40 psi

Probably need a little more pressure than that.  I usually start at 60ish psi and go from there.  Sometimes, thicker/firmer grips need a bit more pressure.  If you're using cords, be very careful not to give enough pressure to break the cords.

WITB:

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

13 hours ago, TBT said:

I just regripped my entire set for the first time using masking tape and an air compressor. I did but the rubber Vice insert to help hold the clubs.

I need to figure out the right air pressure, when installing they didn’t go on as easily as videos I’ve seen and they tried to blow back off a few times 

Use the painter's tape which will give some help slipping the grip on.  Use short busts of air set at higher PSI .  steady stream of air never worked well for me.  especially removing old grip installed with double sided tapes.

BTW, the air install does not work smoothly with grips constructed of, multi material , or a grip with a sleeve ( WINN ).  The multi material construction will not expend the grip uniformly. So is the grip constructed with sleeve and wrap.  

Takes a little practice and there is no issue of installing with air on any type of grip.  Make sure you have a compressor which could power the air tools.  Much easier if you have more pressure available when needed.  Plus the right compressor could  be used to power cut-off wheels to trim the shafts. 

17 hours ago, release said:

One thing I had noticed from your posted photos.  Did you tap the end of the grip on the floor mat after you finished installing ?  The tapping is to make sure the end of the shaft is seated completely into the end of the grip.   Several of the grips in the photos looked like they were not 100% seated in . 

While I wouldn't rule out that I forgot one or two, I did tap the end of each grip as I went.  Out of curiosity, which ones appear to not be fully seated?

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

For anyone who might be curious, after a couple of rounds and range sessions, I'm not overly impressed with the align grips.  They feel good in my hands, but the Align strip isn't as noticeable as I had imagined it would be.

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

45 minutes ago, AmishJason said:

For anyone who might be curious, after a couple of rounds and range sessions, I'm not overly impressed with the align grips.  They feel good in my hands, but the Align strip isn't as noticeable as I had imagined it would be.

I have heard that from a few people before. I know I felt them more in the MCC series, but I believe they are still good for getting consistent hand placement and after that the feel kinda goes out the window. Nice that they feel good though! 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I regret ordering the align grips on my irons... sometimes I want to modify my grip to shape the ball and the alignment keeps getting in my head.

Nice job on the regripping. Don't worry too much about equipment. I do it the ghetto way, I don't even have a clamp/vice. Use a standard cutter to get rid of old grips, have a spray bottle with solvent and do it all over the sink. No messes to clean up!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

31 minutes ago, Kanoito said:

I regret ordering the align grips on my irons... sometimes I want to modify my grip to shape the ball and the alignment keeps getting in my head.

Nice job on the regripping. Don't worry too much about equipment. I do it the ghetto way, I don't even have a clamp/vice. Use a standard cutter to get rid of old grips, have a spray bottle with solvent and do it all over the sink. No messes to clean up!

I have a whole set of aligns that i most likely won’t use bc of this, I like the freedom of being about mod my grip.. plus I love the lamkin cross line grips 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

5 hours ago, AmishJason said:

While I wouldn't rule out that I forgot one or two, I did tap the end of each grip as I went.  Out of curiosity, which ones appear to not be fully seated?

the lonest club in the photo and several others with the end cap not straight, could be (1) the camera angle. (2) could also be pushed too hard on one side. 

If the end feels solid , then it's just cosmetic issue, no worry now.  I fell into the air installation at the beginning to save grips because I didn't want to change grips on the sets of clubs I have and not playing them year round.  Then discovered the endless adjustment I could do on the grips.  Sort of never returning back to the old ways unless someone requested to install the grips with the tape and solvent for their peace of mind.

If the  

5 hours ago, AmishJason said:

Blame it on the conforming committee.  While trying to keep the game's integrity, oftentimes it also stepped on the "tradition".

The old type of grip with the reminder had a prominent reminding line.  Most if not all of them came with the grip of corded texture.  Very difficult to install if someone requested more than a couple of extra layers of built up tapes.  As a newbie, I had ruined several of the grips because it was so difficult to deal with built up and cords with the reminder to be aligned at the same time.

On 3/24/2021 at 2:57 PM, AmishJason said:

Good afternoon everyone.  I'm trying my hand at re-gripping this afternoon.  With a little patience I think I can get it done.  I don't have a garage or shop to work out of, but fortunately I remembered this countertop mountable vice that I got a few years ago.  I will post a couple updates as I go.

20210324_134235.jpg

This post is me! It is time to take the plunge and do some basics at home. I used to install X-Ray systems. I think I can replace my grips 😂😂 I just ordered some grips (MCC +4), tape, solvent and a pack of hooked blades from Golfworks . I will be hitting Lowe’s for a vice and a paint tray later. 

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

1 hour ago, MattWillGolf said:

This post is me! It is time to take the plunge and do some basics at home. I used to install X-Ray systems. I think I can replace my grips 😂😂 I just ordered some grips (MCC +4), tape, solvent and a pack of hooked blades from Golfworks . I will be hitting Lowe’s for a vice and a paint tray later. 

A paint tray.  Holy cow!  I never even thought of that.  That would've been a mess saver for sure.  And good luck to you.  Regripping is pretty simple, just make sure you take your time.

1 hour ago, MattWillGolf said:

If you're going to invest in a vice, get one with minimum 6" jaw, the swivels , not that much an upgrade from the 4" and will be easier on the shaft.  

Also check out the Harbor Freight for pricing you could have the vice, hooked blades, mini torch and a digital caliper for about the same total as getting just a vice elsewhere.

On 5/12/2021 at 2:01 AM, AmishJason said:

I had them in some of the regular grips and wasnt that impressed but the "ridge" is more prominent in the MCC series, I have them on my driver and 3W

11 minutes ago, release said:

If you're going to invest in a vice, get one with minimum 6" jaw, the swivels , not that much an upgrade from the 4" and will be easier on the shaft.  

Also check out the Harbor Freight for pricing you could have the vice, hooked blades, mini torch and a digital caliper for about the same total as getting just a vice elsewhere.

Awesome. Thanks for the tips. I will check them out.

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

2 hours ago, MattWillGolf said:

Throw in the rubber vice clamp from Golfworks into the order  Also I bought this clamp-on vice from Harbor Freight for about $20. Both work great (fyi don't use the vice without the rubber clamp) 

IMG_8204.JPG.dc4f74f54fc13a29956d9e2ea58d212b.JPG

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 5/11/2021 at 3:46 PM, seeking70's said:

Definitely need something to protect the graphite shafts.  Post a picture of what you're working with.

Here is my vice.

IMG_2505.jpeg.6b1d11d2f18140f841e07f656f6ea1ce.jpeg

I was looking at these two options for the rubber insert.

1111474477_ScreenShot2021-05-15at9_16_35PM.png.1fb6b1b5096d037ba9d78f835e6f8a71.png        701378061_ScreenShot2021-05-15at9_16_22PM.png.f7aa2be6ff57ed79ded8093992c675c2.png

What do you suggest?

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

34 minutes ago, TBS said:

Here is my vice.

IMG_2505.jpeg.6b1d11d2f18140f841e07f656f6ea1ce.jpeg

I was looking at these two options for the rubber insert.

1111474477_ScreenShot2021-05-15at9_16_35PM.png.1fb6b1b5096d037ba9d78f835e6f8a71.png        701378061_ScreenShot2021-05-15at9_16_22PM.png.f7aa2be6ff57ed79ded8093992c675c2.png

What do you suggest?

Either will work for regrouping.  The first is better for shaft pulling.

WITB:

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

1 minute ago, seeking70's said:

Either will work for regrouping.  The first is better for shaft pulling.

This is probably a dumb question, but how do you find how much to tighten the vice? Just tight enough where it does not slip?

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

5 minutes ago, TBS said:

This is probably a dumb question, but how do you find how much to tighten the vice? Just tight enough where it does not slip?

Yes.  You can crack graphite shafts.  Don't overdo it.

WITB:

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

5 minutes ago, TBS said:

That's all I did. 

No dumb questions either. That was actually a good one.  I cracked one or two when I was starting out.

WITB:

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

I received my new grips (four MCC Plus4 teams) and now my driver, 3 wood, 3 and 4 hybrids have new grips. Thanks for the tips in this thread. The best advice I received was “use a liberal amount of solvent”. It made the going most smooth. I now want to regrip everything 😂😂

09E177C6-2146-4099-A51A-60FFF2936B0C.jpeg

EBE3D20E-B1BC-453B-B8EE-CBBFD8C24BE6.jpeg

8C4139F1-A32C-4E4B-8E15-5A9CF846EBD0.jpeg

27 minutes ago, MattWillGolf said:

I received my new grips (four MCC Plus4 teams) and now my driver, 3 wood, 3 and 4 hybrids have new grips. Thanks for the tips in this thread. The best advice I received was “use a liberal amount of solvent”. It made the going most smooth. I now want to regrip everything 😂😂

09E177C6-2146-4099-A51A-60FFF2936B0C.jpeg

EBE3D20E-B1BC-453B-B8EE-CBBFD8C24BE6.jpeg

8C4139F1-A32C-4E4B-8E15-5A9CF846EBD0.jpeg

A little extra lube never hurts 🤣

2 hours ago, TBT said:

A little extra lube never hurts 🤣

I was waiting for that! 😂

D9B9398F-EDE6-4C10-97A4-0DC85BC6DC7B.jpeg

I'm glad this thread has lived on longer than anticipated and helped someone.