Good afternoon everyone.  I'm trying my hand at re-gripping this afternoon.  With a little patience I think I can get it done.  I don't have a garage or shop to work out of, but fortunately I remembered this countertop mountable vice that I got a few years ago.  I will post a couple updates as I go.

20210324_134235.jpg

• Like 5

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyhow, there is the finished product.  4-PW with Tour Velvet Aligns.

Good luck. Regripping is very easy, it’s just really messy without the rig golf shops use, e.g. soft vise, tape dispenser and solvent catch pan. You DON’T want to be stingy with the solvent, hence the

I bought a kit that came with one and as a bonus, that vice is for wood working and comes with rubber pads as well. Thanks for the encouragement.

Posted Images

Good afternoon everyone.  I'm trying my hand at re-gripping this afternoon.  With a little patience I think I can get it done.  I don't have a garage or shop to work out of, but fortunately I remembered this countertop mountable vice that I got a few years ago.  I will post a couple updates as I go.
20210324_134235.jpg.291cbe648239c9726b06bd9cb3d14066.jpg

It really isn’t that hard and the vice will Make it easier. Do you have the rubber shaft clamp? That is I Important so you don’t damage the shaft in the clamp.

Just take your time and use plenty of solvent. You can even do it without a vice, just makes it a little tougher to get everything lined up.

You got this!!!
  • Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Good luck. Regripping is very easy, it’s just really messy without the rig golf shops use, e.g. soft vise, tape dispenser and solvent catch pan. You DON’T want to be stingy with the solvent, hence the mess for the DIYer. It takes less than 15 seconds per club with the right equipment. You probably know you need to let the grip “relax” once it’s on, they usually stretch out or compress lengthwise depending on how you push/pull them on, you’ll want to coax them back to their natural length, not stretched or compressed - another reason to use LOTS of solvent so they can slide easily at first. And of course aligning them is nice but not essential for most grips (without alignment aides).

ggs.jpg

• Like 8
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, cnosil said:

It really isn’t that hard and the vice will Make it easier. Do you have the rubber shaft clamp? That is I Important so you don’t damage the shaft in the clamp.

Just take your time and use plenty of solvent. You can even do it without a vice, just makes it a little tougher to get everything lined up.

You got this!!!

I bought a kit that came with one and as a bonus, that vice is for wood working and comes with rubber pads as well.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Edited by AmishJason
  • Like 8

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

It took a little figuring on the fly, but iron #1 is done.  Before anyone gets carried away, it's an 8 iron and not an actual 1 iron.  

20210324_141852.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I now have a solid setup with the right equipment, but i used to do it outside with basically no equipment. Put a bunch of solvent on the tape and in the grip and push it on. With a proper shaft vice now its much easier and i can better line up grip logos, etc.

EDIT: I saw that its an Align grip, so yeah, need to be more precise with lining it up with that grip

• Like 6

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"

I do have a 1 iron that matches the set....is it useful?  Nope.  It's just a conversation piece.

16166139779025662346647223726797.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I now have a solid setup with the right equipment, but i used to do it outside with basically no equipment. Put a bunch of solvent on the tape and in the grip and push it on. With a proper shaft vice now its much easier and i can better line up grip logos, etc.

EDIT: I saw that its an Align grip, so yeah, need to be more precise with lining it up with that grip

Yes indeed.  I watched the video from Golf Pride on how to properly install the Align series.  It seems to just take a hair more patience and attention to detail, but that could just be me.  To quote a popular saying on here, "Your miles may vary."

• Like 4

Watch those wood floors with the grip solvent. You will get in the dog house real quick!

Tip. Put a golf tee in the hole of the new grip at the butt end to keep the solvent in while coating the inside of the grip.  Cut a soda bottle or milk jug in half lengthwise. Place the container under the grip location. Remember to put the cap back on the bottle then as you pour the solvent over the tape the excess will go into the container. Then you can reuse it on the next grip. Remove the bottle cap and pour it into the next grip. The more solvent the better to get the grips to slide on easily. Most grips have an alignment mark by the end of the grip that is open. I mark the shaft with a sharpie marker on the spot. Then cut off the old grip. After taping and applying the solvent to the tape when sliding on the new grip you will know exactly where to align the new grip. Then wipe off the marker with some solvent. 

after the first few you will have it down pat. I've done hundreds of grips over the years. 

• Like 6

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

Well, now I have hit a major set back.  For those who may not now, this set is not original to me and is at least 25 years old.  I bought them online and they came to me from South Dakota.  This shaft has rust all the way from the butt to the hosel on the inside.

20210324_143636.jpg

• Like 1

@Tom the Golf Nut, the kitchen is on the short (but not shortest list) list to be replaced anyhow.  In the mean time, I'm doing my best as I go and cleaning I'm between each club.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I've decided to keep going with the regripping.  The rust doesn't look like it is in danger of causing a shaft failure.  Plus, I play once or twice a month a best, so I should have a lot of life left in these.

And on a related note: DO NOT regrip clubs while wearing a silicone wedding ring.  Mine is now several sizes bigger than it should be.

16166180404025874644615810131941.jpg

Edited by AmishJason
Typos
  • Like 5

Get yourself a Golfworks catalog. You'll find lots of trinkets to buy there for either regripping or even replacing shafts. It's a big boy catalog. 😄

• Like 5

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

3 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Get yourself a Golfworks catalog. You'll find lots of trinkets to buy there for either regripping or even replacing shafts. It's a big boy catalog. 😄

I have spent a lot of time on their website.  It's a dangerous place....for my bank account.

• Haha 2

Nice work. sorry about the ring though.

• Like 4

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Nice work. sorry about the ring though.

Thanks.   It was a case of learning on the go.  I didn't suspect that the solvent would have an affect similar to acetone on a rubber product.  So, I thought I would share in the hopes that someone on here learns from my mistake.

• Like 3

Looks good, I also did a home regripping this winter without really any equipment, but thankfully had a spot with a concrete floor. It was not the easiest with that set up but they ended up well. Though I avoided something like align as I was not confident that I could line it up that perfect, much braver than I on that front.

• Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS Review

:cobra-small: SZ Extreme 9° HZRDUS Smoke Green 60g 6.5 | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :bridgestone-small: Tour BX | Right Handed 

42 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

Looks good, I also did a home regripping this winter without really any equipment, but thankfully had a spot with a concrete floor. It was not the easiest with that set up but they ended up well. Though I avoided something like align as I was not confident that I could line it up that perfect, much braver than I on that front.

I would have thought so too, but go watch a pro golf shop do grips - they align by eye! They take care to put the club in the vise with the head up square, but once they slide the grip on, they just sight down the shaft to align - and there are subtle marks that help. It’s not overly scientific. Even Golf Pride uses sighting for align grips https://www.golfpride.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2017-05-11_ALIGN_installation-guide-1.pdf

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
1 minute ago, Middler said:

I would have thought so too, but go watch a pro golf shop do grips - they align by eye! They take care to put the club in the vise with the head up square, but once they slide the grip on, they just sight down the shaft to align - and there are subtle marks that help. It’s not overly scientific. Even Golf Pride uses sighting for align grips https://www.golfpride.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2017-05-11_ALIGN_installation-guide-1.pdf

It make sense I am sure as you do it that becomes easy, just a trust yourself issue I guess.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS Review

:cobra-small: SZ Extreme 9° HZRDUS Smoke Green 60g 6.5 | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :bridgestone-small: Tour BX | Right Handed