Good job on the grips! I started regripping all of my clubs a few years ago and I'm really glad I did. It's dead easy to do. One thing I figured out to make things easy is to put a plastic tub under the grip and part of the shaft. I regrip in my garage, so I put the tub on some saw horses. Helps catch any extra solvent. 

• Like 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini (the :wilson_staff_small:  D7 is in time out)
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyhow, there is the finished product.  4-PW with Tour Velvet Aligns.

Good luck. Regripping is very easy, it’s just really messy without the rig golf shops use, e.g. soft vise, tape dispenser and solvent catch pan. You DON’T want to be stingy with the solvent, hence the

I bought a kit that came with one and as a bonus, that vice is for wood working and comes with rubber pads as well. Thanks for the encouragement.

Posted Images

I don’t regrip my clubs myself because it only costs me $39 ($2.99x13) once a year at most. Between the solvent, tape and other (one time purchase) equipment to do it right/safely, it would take a couple years to break even. But I fully understand the appeal of DIY. YMMV

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

I got started changing grips back in the 70's when i worked at a CC and changed a few thousand while there.  Its a small investment to get what you 'need' to change your own grips - rubber shaft gripper for the vise, hook blades for the utility knife, small dispenser bottle for the solvent, grip tape.  After 40 years changing 100's of grips the investment has paid for itself many times over.  I use a paint roller pan to catch the gas I use as solvent so I don't have a fancy changing station.  Besides my grips, I get asked by quite a few friends to change their grips for them and they pay for whatever grip they want and I charge a small fee per club to do it.  I am probably doing 5 - 10 sets per year.  Plus whatever grip upgrade I need to do for a shaft I am testing out in a club that month to satisfy my club - ho'ing character flaw!

• Like 3

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 18* & 23* Hybrids; Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged 3i;  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

• 1 month later...

I have a few more things to organize in my garage but after that, I want to make space for a regrip station. I've been wanting to figure out how to do it myself because I hate paying the shops to do it. It may be a blessing and a curse to be the regrip guy for my golfing friends but it looks enjoyable and relaxing. I love the feeling of new grips.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

Don't overlook the air compressor method to completely cut out the solvent mess.

• Like 4

:taylormade-small:M5 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g, 6.5 @ 45"

:callaway-small:Epic Flash SZ 3wd w/ HZRDUS Green 70g, 6.5 @ 42.75"

:callaway-small:Epic Flash SZ 5wd w/ PX HZRDUS Black 85g, 6.5 @ 42.25"

:callaway-small:Epic Flash 7wd & 9wd w/ PX HZRDUS Black 85g, 6.5 @ 41.75" & 41"

:srixon-small:Z585 6-7, Z785 8-GW w/ TT AMT White S300@ 37.75" (6i)

:cleveland-small:RTX4 54/10 & 58/3 w/ DGold S400 @ 36"

:odyssey-small:SL EXO Marxman w/ Superstroke Flatso 3.0 @ 33"

On Deck:

:cleveland-small:RTX4 58/9 w/ Nippon Tour 125 Stiff @ 35.75"

12 minutes ago, seeking70's said:

Don't overlook the air compressor method to completely cut out the solvent mess.

I've been looking at that. I have an air compressor and it looks like that could be the easier way to go. I also have a vice but I'm really scared about damaging my graphite shafts. How worried should I be about using those rubber inserts in the vice?

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, TBS said:

I've been looking at that. I have an air compressor and it looks like that could be the easier way to go. I also have a vice but I'm really scared about damaging my graphite shafts. How worried should I be about using those rubber inserts in the vice?

I don't use the vice for installing grips with air.  It's really easy if you get the hang of it.

Of course one could use a low pressure compressor to install a rubber grip ( tougher with the multi material or multi layered grip ).  I like to use one with capacity of powering air tools.  Just dial down to the level suitable for the task.  Use more power when removing an old grip installed with tape and dial down to install a new grip.  There is a few tricks to learn along the way , including simple tools to prevent the ballooning of the grip while removing it.

A piece of cake to install the "align grips " with the reminders.  Adjust as many times as you please.  Which is a blessing with these grips.

One thing I had noticed from your posted photos.  Did you tap the end of the grip on the floor mat after you finished installing ?  The tapping is to make sure the end of the shaft is seated completely into the end of the grip.   Several of the grips in the photos looked like they were not 100% seated in . 

Edited by release
  • Like 1

I just regripped my entire set for the first time using masking tape and an air compressor. I did but the rubber Vice insert to help hold the clubs.

I need to figure out the right air pressure, when installing they didn’t go on as easily as videos I’ve seen and they tried to blow back off a few times 

• Like 3

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

3 minutes ago, TBT said:

I just regripped my entire set for the first time using masking tape and an air compressor. I did but the rubber Vice insert to help hold the clubs.

I need to figure out the right air pressure, when installing they didn’t go on as easily as videos I’ve seen and they tried to blow back off a few times 

What pressure were you using?  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 minutes ago, TBT said:

What videos did you watch?  What air pressure?  Did you use short bursts of air instead of steady pressure?  Blue painters tape is nicer than masking tape, IMO.

I started using air about 10 years ago, and I have had no problems.  Some grips are a little more difficult than others, but it does work.  I use the Pure grips and the installation gun that Pure Grips sells, but it's not necessary; just handy and should last forever.

This video describes the process very well:

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I don't have an air compressor so solvent install is the way to go for me. One of the benefits of my doing the install is that I make sure the alignment marks (MCC+4) matches up to the position for my strong grip. It's a lot easier than having to explain to someone at the pro shop plus sometimes I experiment with additional layers of tape . Given the number of times my wife and I play year round we change out our grips about twice a year. Install savings combined with a bulk purchase from Golfworks,  and I end up save quite a bit of money 

• Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

First off awesome job and glad you are getting the hang of it. I was thrown into the fire with regripping when I started with a proshop in Halifax. I joined their team in February right as their regripping sale started and after my first shift I had regripped nearly 20 sets of clubs. Went out of town for another assignment with my main work and came back a few weeks later and we had over 60 sets just waiting to be done. It doesn't take long to get the hang of it and after a while you can become quite quick. 
We used normal tape and solvent and only used the air compressor when we were trying to save grips or fixing mistakes (yes of course I made a few errors, but I made sure I got it all right in the end!)
Hoping to setup my own little station in our storage room in the garage once we get a few more things settled. 

• Like 3

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

18 hours ago, TBS said:

Definitely need something to protect the graphite shafts.  Post a picture of what you're working with.

• Like 1

On Deck:

7 hours ago, cnosil said:

What pressure were you using?  

My compressor was set to 40 psi

• Like 1

Snell MTB

7 hours ago, Kenny B said:

What videos did you watch?  What air pressure?  Did you use short bursts of air instead of steady pressure?  Blue painters tape is nicer than masking tape, IMO.

I started using air about 10 years ago, and I have had no problems.  Some grips are a little more difficult than others, but it does work.  I use the Pure grips and the installation gun that Pure Grips sells, but it's not necessary; just handy and should last forever.

This video describes the process very well:

I watched several videos, I had the compressor set to 40 psi, I tried to use sort bursts and constant pressure 

• Like 1

Snell MTB

3 hours ago, TBT said:

My compressor was set to 40 psi

Probably need a little more pressure than that.  I usually start at 60ish psi and go from there.  Sometimes, thicker/firmer grips need a bit more pressure.  If you're using cords, be very careful not to give enough pressure to break the cords.

• Like 4

On Deck:

13 hours ago, TBT said:

Use the painter's tape which will give some help slipping the grip on.  Use short busts of air set at higher PSI .  steady stream of air never worked well for me.  especially removing old grip installed with double sided tapes.

BTW, the air install does not work smoothly with grips constructed of, multi material , or a grip with a sleeve ( WINN ).  The multi material construction will not expend the grip uniformly. So is the grip constructed with sleeve and wrap.  

Takes a little practice and there is no issue of installing with air on any type of grip.  Make sure you have a compressor which could power the air tools.  Much easier if you have more pressure available when needed.  Plus the right compressor could  be used to power cut-off wheels to trim the shafts. 

• Like 3
17 hours ago, release said:

One thing I had noticed from your posted photos.  Did you tap the end of the grip on the floor mat after you finished installing ?  The tapping is to make sure the end of the shaft is seated completely into the end of the grip.   Several of the grips in the photos looked like they were not 100% seated in . 

While I wouldn't rule out that I forgot one or two, I did tap the end of each grip as I went.  Out of curiosity, which ones appear to not be fully seated?

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

For anyone who might be curious, after a couple of rounds and range sessions, I'm not overly impressed with the align grips.  They feel good in my hands, but the Align strip isn't as noticeable as I had imagined it would be.

• Like 3

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

45 minutes ago, AmishJason said:

For anyone who might be curious, after a couple of rounds and range sessions, I'm not overly impressed with the align grips.  They feel good in my hands, but the Align strip isn't as noticeable as I had imagined it would be.

I have heard that from a few people before. I know I felt them more in the MCC series, but I believe they are still good for getting consistent hand placement and after that the feel kinda goes out the window. Nice that they feel good though! 

• Like 1

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)