Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

T100S 48 vs SM8 48/50

Hey everyone! My current wedge set up is 44 and 48 T100s with a 54 and 60 SM8. I have noticed that the face of the 48 T100s is a bit hot when it comes to bump and run shots. I am contemplating swapping that out for a SM8. My question is should I just go 48 to match the set or would it be better to go 50? I did the Vokey Wedge Selector Tool and it picked 50 54 60 based off my 44 PW loft. I was also thinking of getting a 48 and bending it to 49 to maintain a 5 degree gap with my wedges. There are so many variables in play just wanted to get some guidance from the MGS Fam! Thank you to everyone in advance for your input! 

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Irons: 2023 Titleist Black T100 5-PW AMT White S300 Onyx (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

Putter: Bettinardi Wizard Inovai 8.0 Custom with Stability Shaft Tour Black

Ball: 2022 Titleist ProV1x (yellow)

It’s about predictability. Swapping a set wedge for a “specialty” wedge is personal preference.  There might be some added versatility you get with the speciality wedge. If you can predict the landing and rollout of the set wedge and it does everything you need it to do in other areas then no need to swap out. If you feel like you have to adjust your approach because the set wedge act differently than you are used to from a previous set then going specialty wedge would be a possible better route

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s about predictability. Swapping a set wedge for a “specialty” wedge is personal preference.  There might be some added versatility you get with the speciality wedge. If you can predict the landing and rollout of the set wedge and it does everything you need it to do in other areas then no need to swap out. If you feel like you have to adjust your approach because the set wedge act differently than you are used to from a previous set then going specialty wedge would be a possible better route

I just can't seem to control the distance with it. Its painful when they roll off the back hahaha 

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

8 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I have the T-100•S and recently picked up a SM8 48° wedge to fill the gap.  I don’t use it for anything but full swings usually, so I kind of wish I went with the 48° I’m from the set. 

mine came with my set I just only started to use it. On full shots, the 48 is great! The bump and run shots feel really hot off the face as opposed to my old SM8 50 I could get that to roll up to 3-4 feet with ease. 

6 minutes ago, PingMD702 said:

I just can't seem to control the distance with it. Its painful when they roll off the back hahaha 

Did you have a set wedge with whatever you had before the t100s? 

With the specialty wedge you will lose some of the “forgiveness” of the set wedge 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

So I added a 48* sm8 this off season specifically to be a specialty wedge like @RickyBobby_PRwas talking about. I am thinking about versatility around the greens, none of my wedges are typically used as full shots. My pitching wedge is a 45* and that’s used for full shots and that’s part of my 790 set.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Did you have a set wedge with whatever you had before the t100s? 

With the specialty wedge you will lose some of the “forgiveness” of the set wedge 

My previous set was the 620 cb that went up to PW. I’ve always played a gap wedge. It was only up until recently I decided to put the set gw in the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

2 hours ago, PingMD702 said:

mine came with my set I just only started to use it. On full shots, the 48 is great! The bump and run shots feel really hot off the face as opposed to my old SM8 50 I could get that to roll up to 3-4 feet with ease. 

Based on what you're saying about your concerns with the set wedge being too hot for a bump-and-run, I'd elect to go with an SM8 if you really think you won't be able to adjust to the T100S. My only concern would be the gapping if you do use the club for full shots at all. If you're transitioning from a club with a hot face and some forgiveness to a specialty wedge then you would probably want to avoid creating a large gap between your PW and GW. My recommendation would be to do a gap analysis and look specifically at the distance rather than the loft unless you want a particular grind that's only offered in one loft and not the other. 

I was also thinking of getting a 48 and bending it to 49 to maintain a 5 degree gap with my wedges.

If you were going to have a wedge adjusted to 49-degrees as mentioned above, I'd take into consideration whether you want to add or remove bounce and offset (however small of an adjustment it would appear to be).

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

My previous set was the 620 cb that went up to PW. I’ve always played a gap wedge. It was only up until recently I decided to put the set gw in the bag.

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

Based on what you're saying about your concerns with the set wedge being too hot for a bump-and-run, I'd elect to go with an SM8 if you really think you won't be able to adjust to the T100S. My only concern would be the gapping if you do use the club for full shots at all. If you're transitioning from a club with a hot face and some forgiveness to a specialty wedge then you would probably want to avoid creating a large gap between your PW and GW. My recommendation would be to do a gap analysis and look specifically at the distance rather than the loft unless you want a particular grind that's only offered in one loft and not the other. 

If you were going to have a wedge adjusted to 49-degrees as mentioned above, I'd take into consideration whether you want to add or remove bounce and offset (however small of an adjustment it would appear to be).

This covers my thoughts as well.

6 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

I am going to hit the simulator tomorrow and get some numbers for you guys! With this test should I just do 44, 48, 54, 60 while getting data on the SM8 48/50 as well? How many shots per club would give a decent picture in terms of gapping? Thanks for all the tips! 

I like to have a bump and run shot that feels like the effort travels the same distance as my putter, so I would play around around and select by that. For me my 45 degree pw set wedge is also too hot. I use a vokey 50 which is too slow if anything. Been toying with the idea of a vokey 46 for pw

D - titleist 915 Diamana white X 70g

3W - titleist 915 Diamana white X 80g

Taylormade DHY3 Diamana white 100g

Mizuno JPX850 forged 4-pw - KBS tour 130x

vokey sm5 50 f grind 08 bounce

vokey sm5 54 m grind 08 bounce

vokey sm5 58 k grind 12 bounce

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Prov1

6 hours ago, PingMD702 said:

I am going to hit the simulator tomorrow and get some numbers for you guys! With this test should I just do 44, 48, 54, 60 while getting data on the SM8 48/50 as well? How many shots per club would give a decent picture in terms of gapping? Thanks for all the tips! 

I dont need the numbers. The gapping comment was pointing out a concern one should look at when swapping clubs. You should start with your 44 and get your avg. 5 shots should work and would prevent too many shots and you potentially changing swing to get certain numbers. 4-6* gap is what’s normally recommended with a yardage of 12-16 yards between them on full shots. 

Your testing should be to use each of the club however you do on the course and find the loft that fits what you are comfortable with in yardage gaps

8 hours ago, PingMD702 said:

What @RickyBobby_PR said above is correct. In the past I've scheduled a gap analysis with a club fitter and had clubs adjusted (if needed). It only took around 5 swings with each club (sometimes less, sometimes 1 or 2 more) and we dialed everything in around 10-12 yards.

A lot of people like to go for the perfect 4-degree gaps between clubs, but that really isn't how it plays out in reality. Shaft length, head weight, CG location, MOI properties, face construction, etc. all play a role in determining how far the ball will go.

just a suggestion but why not do your bump and run shots with the 54 Vokey instead of the gap wedge?  I used to do all my chipping with a gap wedge and my teacher moved me to use my 58 for all of those shots now.  Took a little getting used to but overall I've become a better chipper.  I use my set gap wedge for full shots mainly.  Making that change is sure cheaper than buying new wedges and for me very effective.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

1 hour ago, Larryd3 said:

just a suggestion but why not do your bump and run shots with the 54 Vokey instead of the gap wedge?  I used to do all my chipping with a gap wedge and my teacher moved me to use my 58 for all of those shots now.  Took a little getting used to but overall I've become a better chipper.  I use my set gap wedge for full shots mainly.  Making that change is sure cheaper than buying new wedges and for me very effective.  

I started to ask a similar question because I can play a bump and run with a variety of clubs just depending on what the shot requires, but it ultimately comes down to what the individual is most comfortable with and willing to devote time to. Certainly anyone could learn to hit a particular shot with almost any club, but time and effort remains an issue unless you're lucky enough to golf full-time.

43 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I started to ask a similar question because I can play a bump and run with a variety of clubs just depending on what the shot requires, but it ultimately comes down to what the individual is most comfortable with and willing to devote time to. Certainly anyone could learn to hit a particular shot with almost any club, but time and effort remains an issue unless you're lucky enough to golf full-time.

Agree completely.  For me, it wasn't that big of a change and it didn't take a bunch of time but one size doesn't fit all.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

Here’s the number from the simulator today. I did my set up first and got numbers for the SM8 48 and 50. Tell me what you guys think!! Thanks!

2C774A82-020B-4BD5-B333-03D42C2207B5.png

49 minutes ago, PingMD702 said:

Here’s the number from the simulator today. I did my set up first and got numbers for the SM8 48 and 50. Tell me what you guys think!! Thanks!

2C774A82-020B-4BD5-B333-03D42C2207B5.png

There’s no difference in distance between the set 48 wedge and the 48 vokey. The 48 and 50 vokey has no real difference. 

it’s whatever you want to go with that feels comfortable for you and your game

8 hours ago, Shankster said:

Kind of off topic, but one of my favorite shots last fall was a 7 iron from 100 yards, a bump and run I suppose.  Low, bounding shot.  Going to go do that this afternoon.

I've used it on occasion. Not one I practice much, but have been fortunate to pull off when needed. 

15 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There’s no difference in distance between the set 48 wedge and the 48 vokey. The 48 and 50 vokey has no real difference. 

it’s whatever you want to go with that feels comfortable for you and your game

I agree. Saw a couple of data points that could maybe be tossed to try and arrive at a "true" number, but overall it wouldn't make any significant difference. I do find the data for the 50 a little bit curious. Is the data presented in the same order you hit the clubs in? Possible you could have been a lot more warmed up and in a groove by the time you got to the 50 to produce some of those numbers.

I agree. Saw a couple of data points that could maybe be tossed to try and arrive at a "true" number, but overall it wouldn't make any significant difference. I do find the data for the 50 a little bit curious. Is the data presented in the same order you hit the clubs in? Possible you could have been a lot more warmed up and in a groove by the time you got to the 50 to produce some of those numbers.

Ya that was my order of hitting. Started with the 60 because I don’t that very far to begin with. I agree that I could be more warmed up by the time I got to the 54. With that said, I’ll just practice with the set gw or maybe just use my 54 for the bump and runs. I like the idea I only have to change 2 wedges as opposed to 3 or 4 haha

Personally, I don't box myself in on certain clubs or degrees of loft on chipping. To me, it comes down to course conditions and the type of lie I have. I change the way I hold the club, open it more, etc. on chips. In my set up I have a 50, 56 and 60 set of Vokey wedges. There is not one type set up fits everyone.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

On 3/24/2021 at 3:27 PM, PingMD702 said:

Hey everyone! My current wedge set up is 44 and 48 T100s with a 54 and 60 SM8. I have noticed that the face of the 48 T100s is a bit hot when it comes to bump and run shots. I am contemplating swapping that out for a SM8. My question is should I just go 48 to match the set or would it be better to go 50? I did the Vokey Wedge Selector Tool and it picked 50 54 60 based off my 44 PW loft. I was also thinking of getting a 48 and bending it to 49 to maintain a 5 degree gap with my wedges. There are so many variables in play just wanted to get some guidance from the MGS Fam! Thank you to everyone in advance for your input! 

i highly dount 1 degree will make that big of a difference throughout the course of a round. 

Golf is cool

Update! I stuck with my set up and posted my best round ever haha I’ll take the 74!