T100S 48 vs SM8 48/50

8 hours ago, Shankster said:

Kind of off topic, but one of my favorite shots last fall was a 7 iron from 100 yards, a bump and run I suppose.  Low, bounding shot.  Going to go do that this afternoon.

I've used it on occasion. Not one I practice much, but have been fortunate to pull off when needed. 

• Like 1

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 54* & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

15 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There’s no difference in distance between the set 48 wedge and the 48 vokey. The 48 and 50 vokey has no real difference. 

it’s whatever you want to go with that feels comfortable for you and your game

I agree. Saw a couple of data points that could maybe be tossed to try and arrive at a "true" number, but overall it wouldn't make any significant difference. I do find the data for the 50 a little bit curious. Is the data presented in the same order you hit the clubs in? Possible you could have been a lot more warmed up and in a groove by the time you got to the 50 to produce some of those numbers.

• Like 2

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 54* & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

I agree. Saw a couple of data points that could maybe be tossed to try and arrive at a "true" number, but overall it wouldn't make any significant difference. I do find the data for the 50 a little bit curious. Is the data presented in the same order you hit the clubs in? Possible you could have been a lot more warmed up and in a groove by the time you got to the 50 to produce some of those numbers.

Ya that was my order of hitting. Started with the 60 because I don’t that very far to begin with. I agree that I could be more warmed up by the time I got to the 54. With that said, I’ll just practice with the set gw or maybe just use my 54 for the bump and runs. I like the idea I only have to change 2 wedges as opposed to 3 or 4 haha

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9 Degree Tensei White Raw 65 Extra Stiff B1/T1 setting (RH)

3 Wood: Titleist TSi2 15 Degree Tensei White Raw 75 Extra Stiff A1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSi2 21 Degree Tensei White Raw 85 Tour Extra Stiff A1 setting (RH)

Irons: Titleist T200 4-5/T100S Black 6-9 Project X LZ 6.0 Onyx (RH)

Wedges: Titleist T100S Black 44, Titleist SM8 Jet Black 50F/8 bounce, 54S/10 bounce, 60S/10 bounce Project X LZ 6.0 Onyx (RH)

Putter: Bettinardi DASS Multi Wizard SS28 Custom with Stability Shaft Tour Black

Ball: TaylorMade TP5/TP5x

Personally, I don't box myself in on certain clubs or degrees of loft on chipping. To me, it comes down to course conditions and the type of lie I have. I change the way I hold the club, open it more, etc. on chips. In my set up I have a 50, 56 and 60 set of Vokey wedges. There is not one type set up fits everyone.

• Like 2

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  7 - PW T100S, 4 -6 T200 all with Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff
Wedges:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts                                                                                                                                   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 & Maxfli Tour

On 3/24/2021 at 3:27 PM, PingMD702 said:

Hey everyone! My current wedge set up is 44 and 48 T100s with a 54 and 60 SM8. I have noticed that the face of the 48 T100s is a bit hot when it comes to bump and run shots. I am contemplating swapping that out for a SM8. My question is should I just go 48 to match the set or would it be better to go 50? I did the Vokey Wedge Selector Tool and it picked 50 54 60 based off my 44 PW loft. I was also thinking of getting a 48 and bending it to 49 to maintain a 5 degree gap with my wedges. There are so many variables in play just wanted to get some guidance from the MGS Fam! Thank you to everyone in advance for your input! 

i highly dount 1 degree will make that big of a difference throughout the course of a round. 

• Like 1

Golf is cool

Update! I stuck with my set up and posted my best round ever haha I’ll take the 74!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Love 1

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9 Degree Tensei White Raw 65 Extra Stiff B1/T1 setting (RH)

3 Wood: Titleist TSi2 15 Degree Tensei White Raw 75 Extra Stiff A1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSi2 21 Degree Tensei White Raw 85 Tour Extra Stiff A1 setting (RH)

Irons: Titleist T200 4-5/T100S Black 6-9 Project X LZ 6.0 Onyx (RH)

Wedges: Titleist T100S Black 44, Titleist SM8 Jet Black 50F/8 bounce, 54S/10 bounce, 60S/10 bounce Project X LZ 6.0 Onyx (RH)

Putter: Bettinardi DASS Multi Wizard SS28 Custom with Stability Shaft Tour Black

Ball: TaylorMade TP5/TP5x