Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Beginners complete golf sets

First of all, welcome to the forum!  

I'm assuming you're looking for a bag as well as the clubs.  In your price range, you would be looking at the lower priced boxed sets at a place like Dick's Sporting Goods.  Buying a boxed set with everything you need is a really easy way to get started in the game without spending a ton of time trying to find the right equipment.  And it's absolutely possible to have lots of fun playing golf with these kinds of clubs.

That being said...

It's generally accepted that these inexpensive clubs are made of inferior materials, they don't perform as well as more expensive clubs, and they're more prone to breaking.  You probably won't notice the difference in quality right off the bat, but if you really put time and effort into it, your abilities might exceed the clubs capabilities before you know it.  

Do you have any friends who are avid golfers?  They may have an old set in their garage that they'd sell you for about the same price, and they'd be better quality.  

Whichever direction you go for clubs, look into getting some instruction.  Check out the Get Golf Ready program or other group lesson programs at courses near you to get started without breaking the bank.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

PowerBilt or Wilson

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

On 3/25/2021 at 5:15 PM, Tgself said:

What would be your recommendation for best all around complete set for the money?

If you're trying to keep it below $300, you're going to be limited to the Top Flite sets at Dick's/Golf Galaxy.  The Callaway Strata at Walmart might not be bad if you can get up to around $350.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Something else you might consider your local thrift stores--- I would suggest if maybe you have a friend that is an experienced player taking them along to help you pick stuff out--- I have seen beginner type sets bags and all for $10 to $20.  

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Not sure what the prices are there in the US, but Cobra had some good full complete sets with bag and all. They were typically the previous years clubs and the S model (basically a big box store model), but similar in specs and are of pretty good quality over all and a set that could last you a longer while. That and when you want to eventually upgrade you can pick different parts of the bag gradually. Anyway again not 100% sure on what the prices would be there, but I know the were in the $500 CAD range so could be close to your budget. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

For under $300 you may want to look at local stores that sell used clubs, Facebook Marketplace, etc. You most likely will be able to get "better" gear that way - it'll be a few years older, but should be much better built, better quality, etc. There's certainly nothing wrong with picking up a boxed set if you want, like the others said try and stick with a brand like Callaway, Wilson, or Tour Edge vs. " big box" brands like Top Flite. Here's a few decent sets right around $300 - https://www.budgetgolf.com/golf-clubs/#!|page|1|opp|30|g|2|cat|23|248|249

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I am completely new to the game and I am trying to get a good complete set of clubs to play. What would be a good set that are not extremely expensive, but would still be good quality for playing three or four times a month? I am trying to keep it under $300 for the set.

Check out Gigagolf.com. You may be able to get a full set within your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

• 4 weeks later...