Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Swing Weight/ Swing Speed

As I continue to personalize my clubs to me and my game I've come to my next step in the process. 

I'm trying to understand how swing weight affects swing speed. I know that swing weight affects "feel", but does it affect swing speed?

As an example my 8 iron from Ping was a D0. It is now a D8. 

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

I wouldn’t necessarily equate swing weight with swing speed. For example 1 club could weigh 10-20 grams less total weight than another but swing weight the same. Odds are that someone would swing the lighter club faster but that isn’t an absolute either. 

For me SW is a way for me to get a similar feel in a club that may not have the same static weight to another.  

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

There are no absolutes.  The key to maximizing performance is finding the combination of shaft flex, total weight and swing weight that allow you to sequence most efficiently. This is the essence of a good club fitting. And what makes one person sequence properly and maximize speed may not work for the next guy 

It's important to remember that swingweight is a static measurement of the weight distribution of the overall length of the club. It's entirely possible to have a club with a lower overall mass  than a comparable club, but with a higher swingweight - and vice versa.

So the energy required to actually swing a club with greater mass (i.e. overall weight) requires more effort to move a static object. Regardless of swing weight (or balance is a more accurate term), you'll ceratinly feel the difference when force is applied.

Naturally the overall mass and it's distribtion can have an effect on the flex of a club too - so it's imporatant to get both right in fitting. I would say the mass being the more important component. 

Swingweight comes into usefulness when building a set of irons of variable decending length and ascending head weight to a known flex. As for building a total set from driver to wedge at the same swingweight - it's possible, but the reason to do so is less valid if you're trying to fit and individual to a characteristic swing. I would imagine there aren't many folks with matching swingweighted clubs apart from irons in their set.

As for MOI matching - that's an entirely different can o' worms...

Edited by jaskanski

• 2 months later...

Is there a chart or anything on starting swing weight? For instance a 110mph driver should be D1-D4. Trying to find some sort of starting point.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 10.5* Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 1" 44.5" NDMC Mid

4w: :callaway-small: Epic flash Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 2" 42.5" NDMC Mid

3-PW: :mizuno-small:  MP-18, 3i FLYhi MMC, 4-6i MMC, 7-PW MB, KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Wedges: :titelist-small:  SM7 49*F, 54*D, 59*M KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Putter:  Lajosi Sensor Breakthrough Golf Tour Stability Shaft 34" SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

1 hour ago, BigUrsus said:

Is there a chart or anything on starting swing weight? For instance a 110mph driver should be D1-D4. Trying to find some sort of starting point.

Nope.  Swingweight and speed are not really connected and will vary based on all the components used.   I have read that D5 is a good SW for a driver, but that may not work for you.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG