As I continue to personalize my clubs to me and my game I've come to my next step in the process. 

I'm trying to understand how swing weight affects swing speed. I know that swing weight affects "feel", but does it affect swing speed?

As an example my 8 iron from Ping was a D0. It is now a D8. 

Chris

Far and Sure......

:ping-small:G410 SFT (10.5 degree)

:ping-small:: G20 4W

:callaway-small:       GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small:: G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*  

:wilson_staff_small: PMP FG Tour 60*                                                        

:odyssey-small:    OWorks Black #1

:taylormade-small: TP5 Pix

I wouldn’t necessarily equate swing weight with swing speed. For example 1 club could weigh 10-20 grams less total weight than another but swing weight the same. Odds are that someone would swing the lighter club faster but that isn’t an absolute either. 

For me SW is a way for me to get a similar feel in a club that may not have the same static weight to another.  

• Like 1

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

There are no absolutes.  The key to maximizing performance is finding the combination of shaft flex, total weight and swing weight that allow you to sequence most efficiently. This is the essence of a good club fitting. And what makes one person sequence properly and maximize speed may not work for the next guy 

• Like 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:EVNROLL: ER1v
:titelist-small: ProV1

It's important to remember that swingweight is a static measurement of the weight distribution of the overall length of the club. It's entirely possible to have a club with a lower overall mass  than a comparable club, but with a higher swingweight - and vice versa.

So the energy required to actually swing a club with greater mass (i.e. overall weight) requires more effort to move a static object. Regardless of swing weight (or balance is a more accurate term), you'll ceratinly feel the difference when force is applied.

Naturally the overall mass and it's distribtion can have an effect on the flex of a club too - so it's imporatant to get both right in fitting. I would say the mass being the more important component. 

Swingweight comes into usefulness when building a set of irons of variable decending length and ascending head weight to a known flex. As for building a total set from driver to wedge at the same swingweight - it's possible, but the reason to do so is less valid if you're trying to fit and individual to a characteristic swing. I would imagine there aren't many folks with matching swingweighted clubs apart from irons in their set.

As for MOI matching - that's an entirely different can o' worms...

Edited by jaskanski
  • Like 3