TESTERS WANTED! ×

Blog One Word Survey Results

https://mygolfspy.com/results-golf-equipment-brand-perception-one-word-survey/

I always find the results of this survey interesting.  When I completed it last year, I probably answered NA to most of the negative words, as has been mentioned before, I don't think really any company makes bad equipment. But it didn't all apply to the quality of equipment, but to the company's image as well.

Discuss your thoughts on any part of the survey below

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

This was my first year filling out this survey. I like these types of things, was quick and always like to see that data with my facilities background these charts are easy to read and while the data may be "silly" because its just how you interpret a company, its still interesting to see what people think about the different companies year over year.

The taylormade and Cobra trends are interesting. Will this help taylormade be bought as a business?

Cobra for me is definitely seeming to be the most innovative.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

For me, the biggest takeaway is how well TaylorMade performed.  While I think a lot of that has to do with who they've signed and how well they play, they really have built a legit top to bottom lineup for a wide spectrum of golfers.  There really aren't any holes in their entire lineup and it shows.  Count me in as one of those whose opinion of TM has skyrocketed.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

2 minutes ago, bens197 said:

For me, the biggest takeaway is how well TaylorMade performed.  While I think a lot of that has to do with who they've signed and how well they play, they really have built a legit top to bottom lineup for a wide spectrum of golfers.  There really aren't any holes in their entire lineup and it shows.  Count me in as one of those whose opinion of TM has skyrocketed.

Look at that leader category, 68% from last year? Thats a wild change from 1 year ago. Again its just words but at the same time "leader" is a big word that can define a company....

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

32 minutes ago, bens197 said:

True.

Also I couldn't help but wonder if any of that jump has had to do with them sticking to the 1 year product cycle the past several years. For the longest time it was the butt of the running joke, if you don't like the XX Driver just wait, they'll have another one in 6 months.

No doubt the SIM has performed for a lot of people, but I think their more responsible cycle has helped as well. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

15 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

True.

Also I couldn't help but wonder if any of that jump has had to do with them sticking to the 1 year product cycle the past several years. For the longest time it was the butt of the running joke, if you don't like the XX Driver just wait, they'll have another one in 6 months.

No doubt the SIM has performed for a lot of people, but I think their more responsible cycle has helped as well. 

It certainly hasn’t hurt. 

I myself am a believer. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Going to be interesting to see how Callaway rebounds next year. At the time of the survey they were winding down what can only be seen as a disappointing cycle with Mavrik and the like, but if Most Wanted testing is anything to sneeze at I could see a massive rebound due to the performance of Epic Speed and Two Ball Ten and being further away from the Chrome Soft debacle. Also, a lot of positive momentum to those chasing like TM and Titleist for top dog status.

Also, sad to see Wilson hasn't shaken some of the stigma and seemingly people think pretty similarly of Tour Edge. Some see cheap, I see great value, but that's just me.

Always one of the most fascinating posts of the year for sure this survey.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Interesting and confounding.  So much of what we hear (and see in ads) as opposed to what we have personally experienced goes into our choices.  Much like reviews on so many businesses, a much larger percentage of folks take the time to write bad reviews than good ones, and that can skew reality.  I think the degree of separation between these companies (most of them anyway) is in seconds, not minutes.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I guess the first one I will comment on is the "Cheap" results. Really don't understand or entirely agree with Wilson and Tour Edge being cheap. I get that both make lower cost/retail box full sets for beginners but both have quality high end product offerings. I have stated before that I volunteer for a Champions Tour event each year in my area and work the practice facilities. There are tons of Tour Edge hybrids/woods and definitely Wilson Staff irons. So I would never think of Wilson Staff (today) as cheap nor Tour Edge.

Now if I could be king for a day regarding Tour Edge I might respectfully get someone to make their irons look like Sub 70/New Level and/or Mizuno. Something a little more sexy if you will. No doubt the quality is there I have hit them at demo days. Regarding Wilson Staff, their D series is good for most mid-high handicappers and they have an iron set for pro to.... well again retail newbie. The only thing I wish they could get would be a competitive pro line driver that seriously could push TM/Callaway/Cobra/Ping. Again, their D series woods/hybrids are really good for most mid-higher players imo. Wilson Staff wedges are good as well. Anyway, I just would not label them as cheap. Maybe the past histories and/or retail box sets affected peoples perceptions or the golf balls. I get it but still......not really cheap to me. 

22 hours ago, bens197 said:

This^^^^^. Would be interesting to see how much impact Tiger coming into their stable has played on their rankings. 

Edited by Headhammer

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

For me the downward spiral of Callaway isn't necessarily about product...I know they still make very good clubs...it's the marketing.  The whole Chrome Soft vs Pro V1X thing is really off-putting, almost like they made a corporate decision to try and take on the number one ball in golf by way of a smear campaign and basically false advertising, rather than, oh I don't know...making a superior product.  

Just doesn't exactly scream integrity and quality to me.

Don't get me wrong, if I went in to a fitting and the numbers all pointed to a Callaway club I'd have no reservations about buying, and maybe that's a limitation of the survey...it measures perceptions but not necessarily how those perceptions would impact one's actual buying decisions.

You won't find me anywhere near playing a Callaway ball though.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

Other brands aside, I wasn't surprised that PXG was in the "dishonest", "gimmick" and "arrogant" categories.  I think Parsons is doing his brand a disservice with his used car like tv commercials.  He initially positioned it as a premium brand but current commercials say anything but. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

12 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

I guess the first one I will comment on is the "Cheap" results. Really don't understand or entirely agree with Wilson and Tour Edge being cheap. I get that both make lower cost/retail box full sets for beginners but both have quality high end product offerings. I have stated before that I volunteer for a Champions Tour event each year in my area and work the practice facilities. There are tons of Tour Edge hybrids/woods and definitely Wilson Staff irons. So I would never think of Wilson Staff (today) as cheap nor Tour Edge.

Now if I could be king for a day regarding Tour Edge I might respectfully get someone to make their irons look like Sub 70/New Level and/or Mizuno. Something a little more sexy if you will. No doubt the quality is there I have hit them at demo days. Regarding Wilson Staff, their D series is good for most mid-high handicappers and they have an iron set for pro to.... well again retail newbie. The only thing I wish they could get would be a competitive pro line driver that seriously could push TM/Callaway/Cobra/Ping. Again, their D series woods/hybrids are really good for most mid-higher players imo. Wilson Staff wedges are good as well. Anyway, I just would not label them as cheap. Maybe the past histories and/or retail box sets affected peoples perceptions or the golf balls. I get it but still......not really cheap to me. 

I think the "cheap" mindset comes from being able to pick up a set of wilson's at wal-mart. Granted you can get Callaway there now to but thats from years of being able to do this. I still associate Wilson with baseball not golf. 

image.png.5d1237b509bb503a4daba4b5a7b76fb7.png

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

I think the "cheap" mindset comes from being able to pick up a set of wilson's at wal-mart. Granted you can get Callaway there now to but thats from years of being able to do this. I still associate Wilson with baseball not golf. 
Thats a great point regarding baseball. I remember my first ball glove, wooden bat as Wilson (yeah I am old :) . Just a good sporting goods company.

Played Staff blades/persimmons a long time ago too. Really hope Wilson one day gets back to respectful/serious consideration regarding golf equipment.

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

17 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Interesting.  I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but Mizuno makes very good baseball equipment (and gear for a lot of other sports) yet I’m sure we all hold their golf equipment in high regard.  Makes you wonder how Wilson lost their way in golf while Mizuno has excelled.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

On 3/29/2021 at 1:32 PM, jlukes said:

Somewhere Harry Arnett is shaking his head

That is exactly what I was thinking jlukes, his media presence and personality was quite an asset that they seem to really miss.

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -      Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                          Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                                          Putter -    Evnroll ER2
Rangefinder -  NX-10 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                            Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

1 hour ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Interesting.  I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but Mizuno makes very good baseball equipment (and gear for a lot of other sports) yet I’m sure we all hold their golf equipment in high regard.  Makes you wonder how Wilson lost their way in golf while Mizuno has excelled.

Agreed, somewhere along the way they lost it. I am a little obvlivious to wikson honestly but I’m assuming Wilson golf and Wilson staff are two very different lines and people do not differentiate the two?

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Interesting to bring up product cycles as mentioned above. As the years progress I wonder how the association will coincide with the "second" models of various clubs. Whether it be Sim 2 or other evolutionary releases versus newly branded products. 

I think that with a new release vs a 2 version there could be more association with word's such as hype or Innovation vs some of the others. I don't remember exactly when this was done, but I'm pretty sure it was well I'm advance of the SIM 2 and other releases? 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

Agreed, somewhere along the way they lost it. I am a little obvlivious to wikson honestly but I’m assuming Wilson golf and Wilson staff are two very different lines and people do not differentiate the two?

John Barba article from way back in 2014 (followed by a couple other articles) discusses the Wilson downfall:

How the Wilson Golf Empire Crumbled (mygolfspy.com)

Honestly, for me I don't associate Wilson with cheap if we're talking about irons.  I've never hit them but I've heard enough good things that I'd definitely give them a try.  Drivers is another story...Driver vs Driver was definitely gimmicky and didn't help them from an image standpoint at all. I can honestly say I've never seen a Triton or a Cortex in anyone's bag.

Interesting which charts line up with my biases, several of them do exactly. I admire Titleist, PING and Mizuno (irons). I won't even consider anything from TaylorMade, and I'm increasingly less interested in Callaway. The only other brands I have any interest in are PXG and Srixon irons, both only because of what I've read about them regarding feel - something that's high on my list of priorities. The other brands aren't on my radar, though I owned Wilson/Staff irons for many years before their complete fall from grace. I grew up playing MacGregor clubs, and Haig Ultras were the premium brand we all coveted back then - both now gone.

No right or wrong, we all have our own preferences, for our own reasons.

Thanks for doing the survey, like Adam I think the results are interesting.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys