Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2iron shaft help

I'm currently gaming the Srixon ZU85 2 iron (18*, UST Recoil 95 F5) and have my sights set on the Callaway X Forged UT. Utilization will be for off the tee when facing tight holes and approach shots on short par 5s. I really enjoy the UST Recoil, but have opened the aftermarket can of worms and am open to really dialing in the club with the correct shaft; unfortunately I've not been able to find a fitter that has the ability to swap shafts on a sample 2i head.

Do I match my driver/3wood with the UST Lin-Q Purple 7F5 (mid spin/launch)? Match my irons at DG Tour Issue x100? Something else?

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9°, UST Lin-Q Purple 7F5 1” tipped

3 Wood:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Titanium Rocket 13.5°, UST Lin-Q Purple 7F5

2 Iron:  :callaway-small: X Forged UT 18°, Mitsubishi MMT UT 105 TX

4-PW:  :callaway-small: X Forged CB irons, DG Tour Issue x100 +1” 2° flat

Wedges:  :mizuno-small: T20, KBS Wedge shaft, 50°/54°/58°

Putter:  Toulon Atlanta, Stroke Lab Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1x Optic Yellow

Bag:  :Ogio: 2021 Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag

Shot Tracking:  :Arccos:

I wouldn’t base iron profile of driver profile. Two somewhat different swings

it would be better to match against your iron sets. Some options would be trying to match your iron shaft exactly or going lighter/softer with something like the s300 or 400. Possibly looking at a driving iron shaft like the AD DI hybrid or Ad hybrid shafts. Another could be a driving iron shaft like the AD DI driving iron 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

28 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I wouldn’t base iron profile of driver profile. Two somewhat different swings

it would be better to match against your iron sets. Some options would be trying to match your iron shaft exactly or going lighter/softer with something like the s300 or 400. Possibly looking at a driving iron shaft like the AD DI hybrid or Ad hybrid shafts. Another could be a driving iron shaft like the AD DI driving iron 

I was only able to test it in the True Temper HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 stiff and don't feel that it was optimal for my swing. Trackman averages were 107 SS, 10.3* launch, 4300 rpm, with a landing angle of 42*.

I see one locally available (Offerup) with a Mitsubishi MMT UT 105 TX shaft available, but have no experience with that shaft.

I've not tried any of the AD shafts; would want to run down that rabbit hole before blindly going down that path.

3 minutes ago, ryno_wineo said:

I was only able to test it in the True Temper HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 stiff and don't feel that it was optimal for my swing. Trackman averages were 107 SS, 10.3* launch, 4300 rpm, with a landing angle of 42*.

I see one locally available (Offerup) with a Mitsubishi MMT UT 105 TX shaft available, but have no experience with that shaft.

I've not tried any of the AD shafts; would want to run down that rabbit hole before blindly going down that path.

The hzrdus smoke black isn’t a very friendly hybrid shaft. I have a friend who is higher swing speed than you and I who wanted something with more feel and launch.

I don’t have any experience with the MMT UDI either.

I am an AD DI wood fan. I took a leap on the AD HY shaft for my pxg and love it over other hybrid shafts I’ve had in various models.

With and something like a 2i or a driving/utility iron the recommendations I’ve seen from fitters and club builders on social media is to go lighter in that iron over option of the same iron shaft. With your swing speed getting the ball in the air wouldn’t seem to be an issue so finding something int the mid/mid mid/low or possibly low/low would be the way to go. The hard part would be figuring out what shaft would give you the best numbers. 

Another option if you like the recoil 95 is to get the recoil hybrid. This is what I had in my g410 and my buddy went to as the replacement for the smoke black in his

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The hzrdus smoke black isn’t a very friendly hybrid shaft. I have a friend who is higher swing speed than you and I who wanted something with more feel and launch.

I don’t have any experience with the MMT UDI either.

I am an AD DI wood fan. I took a leap on the AD HY shaft for my pxg and love it over other hybrid shafts I’ve had in various models.

With and something like a 2i or a driving/utility iron the recommendations I’ve seen from fitters and club builders on social media is to go lighter in that iron over option of the same iron shaft. With your swing speed getting the ball in the air wouldn’t seem to be an issue so finding something int the mid/mid mid/low or possibly low/low would be the way to go. The hard part would be figuring out what shaft would give you the best numbers. 

Another option if you like the recoil 95 is to get the recoil hybrid. This is what I had in my g410 and my buddy went to as the replacement for the smoke black in his

I have really liked the recoil in my Srixons; just didn't know if they're optimal for me or if it was just a good (free) option.

Is a hybrid shaft essentially the same as a 2i/utility iron shaft or should I be looking for different characteristics? 

Edited by ryno_wineo

5 minutes ago, ryno_wineo said:

I have really liked the recoil in my Srixons; just didn't know if they're optimal for me or if it was just a good (free) option.

Is a hybrid shaft essentially the same as a 2i/utility iron shaft or should I be looking for different characteristics? 

In my limited research on the two the driving iron shaft is going to be able to go heavier than the hybrid shaft. Iirc most hybrid shafts max out at 105g where DI shafts can get up to 130g.

the other concern would be rip size. DI should all be .355 where the hybrid shaft would normally be .370.

I don’t know anyone personally that went with a hybrid in a DI or vice versa. To be safe I would say focus on DI or stabdard iron shaft

35 minutes ago, jaskanski said:
36 minutes ago, jaskanski said:

Doesn't the UT come as standard with the Project X U shaft? Try a demo with that first to see what the numbers are. The MMT would be somewhat similar at a guess.

https://www.mca-golf.com/products/mmt™-utility-iron

I believe that’s one of the two standard options; my fitter only had the HZRDUS Black option mentioned above. 

I am 2 weeks into an experiment with the MMT 125tx utility shaft on a Ping i500 3 iron. Bought it blind on the classifieds because I have a golf spending problem and I couldn't find another way to try it out. I play $ Taper 130x in my irons for reference. For me at least, this thing lives up to the hype and then some. It plays more stout than the $ Taper, more like a C-taper, but feels fantastic like the $ taper (again, for me). I don't play DG shafts and haven't for over a decade, but FWIW it was designed to have a similar profile to the X100 and most forum feedback indicates similar experiences. 

It is still the honeymoon for sure, but as someone who fights left misses, I haven't had a *single* left miss in 3 range sessions or the 1 round where I used it 7 times off the tee.

I know the MMT 105 is ~114g, so that would still be a drop off from your X100s and YMMV as always. But based on how hot these shafts are right now you can likely recoup most of your money if the experiment goes wrong.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

15 hours ago, hartrick11 said:

I am 2 weeks into an experiment with the MMT 125tx utility shaft on a Ping i500 3 iron. Bought it blind on the classifieds because I have a golf spending problem and I couldn't find another way to try it out. I play $ Taper 130x in my irons for reference. For me at least, this thing lives up to the hype and then some. It plays more stout than the $ Taper, more like a C-taper, but feels fantastic like the $ taper (again, for me). I don't play DG shafts and haven't for over a decade, but FWIW it was designed to have a similar profile to the X100 and most forum feedback indicates similar experiences. 

It is still the honeymoon for sure, but as someone who fights left misses, I haven't had a *single* left miss in 3 range sessions or the 1 round where I used it 7 times off the tee.

I know the MMT 105 is ~114g, so that would still be a drop off from your X100s and YMMV as always. But based on how hot these shafts are right now you can likely recoup most of your money if the experiment goes wrong.

A fellow member of Golf Spenders Anonymous! Hello!

I'll definitely check it out. In my irons I just switched from the 130x C-tapers to the DG Tour x100's because my launch/landing angle/spin numbers were too low. 2i though, I'm likely looking for the sweet spot of maximum distance/accuracy off the tee (aren't we all) and will do my damnedest to flight the ball correctly into a green on a short par 5.

29 minutes ago, ryno_wineo said:

A fellow member of Golf Spenders Anonymous! Hello!

I'll definitely check it out. In my irons I just switched from the 130x C-tapers to the DG Tour x100's because my launch/landing angle/spin numbers were too low. 2i though, I'm likely looking for the sweet spot of maximum distance/accuracy off the tee (aren't we all) and will do my damnedest to flight the ball correctly into a green on a short par 5.

I had the best results with the 130x C-tapers in my fitting but they were not enjoyable to swing; $ taper was a close second on performance (slightly higher launch and spin with a better descent angle but slightly larger side to side dispersion) and far and away better on feel, but if I didn't keep it in the KBS family it would have been the X100 (or the Modus 125x). Now my next set of irons is most likely to have MMT 125 tx (soft stepped 1x), but hopefully I can hold off until they are at least on an upcharge menu somewhere...

For this DI experiment I was looking to maximize accuracy off the tee as I have been a disaster with my driver swing lately. While not maximizing distance per se, I do need to carry at least 220 to be able to use it consistently from the back tees at my home course, and so far so good. Good luck and keep us posted!

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H