Jump to content

best cigar humidors


Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

Cedar. Spanish cedar is best - it needs to be seasoned or conditioned with a quick wipe down inside with a little distilled water, then perhaps add a Boveda conditioning pack for a couple of weeks before you add your cigars. While you wait you can leave your cigars in a zip lock bag with a Boveda pack (69% RH seems to work best). The humidor once conditioned may benefit from a 72% RH pack to allow for an amount of leakage - if you get a humidity monitor (hygrometer) to pop inside you can keep a check on the relative humidity to get it consistent. Check it weekly as a minimum.

Depending on your smokes, you may want to go up or down with the humidity to alow for the type of leaf you favour - thicker leaves will  need more humidity than thinner more delicate leaves that might need a little less, but generally 69-70% is the usual sweetspot to get. Keep you humidor out of direct sunlight and in an area with an even cool room tempeature  - inside a cupboard or drawer is usually fine.

You can go all out and get a computer controlled environmentally constant humidor with enough room to house 1000+ cigars depending on your budget and needs - but a realtively small 12" x 12" wooden humidor will work just fine for your daily, weekly, monthly smokes depending on how many you get through on a regular basis. As a general rule of thumb, get a humidor slightly larger than you need for the cigars you have stored in them.

Avoid mixing cigars with a strong aroma or a lighter/darker wrappers, and smaller/larger vitolas (sizes) in the same small humidor if you can. Lastly, aging cigars in a humidor takes months (even years sometimes) so patience is a virtue. Full bodied 'strong' cigars will lose a bit of their initial strength over time but may come out with a mellower more subtle taste - it all depends on how you like your smoking experience.

And enjoy.

  • Like 3
Link to post
7 hours ago, jaskanski said:

Cedar. Spanish cedar is best - it needs to be seasoned or conditioned with a quick wipe down inside with a little distilled water, then perhaps add a Boveda conditioning pack for a couple of weeks before you add your cigars. While you wait you can leave your cigars in a zip lock bag with a Boveda pack (69% RH seems to work best). The humidor once conditioned may benefit from a 72% RH pack to allow for an amount of leakage - if you get a humidity monitor (hygrometer) to pop inside you can keep a check on the relative humidity to get it consistent. Check it weekly as a minimum.

Depending on your smokes, you may want to go up or down with the humidity to alow for the type of leaf you favour - thicker leaves will  need more humidity than thinner more delicate leaves that might need a little less, but generally 69-70% is the usual sweetspot to get. Keep you humidor out of direct sunlight and in an area with an even cool room tempeature  - inside a cupboard or drawer is usually fine.

You can go all out and get a computer controlled environmentally constant humidor with enough room to house 1000+ cigars depending on your budget and needs - but a realtively small 12" x 12" wooden humidor will work just fine for your daily, weekly, monthly smokes depending on how many you get through on a regular basis. As a general rule of thumb, get a humidor slightly larger than you need for the cigars you have stored in them.

Avoid mixing cigars with a strong aroma or a lighter/darker wrappers, and smaller/larger vitolas (sizes) in the same small humidor if you can. Lastly, aging cigars in a humidor takes months (even years sometimes) so patience is a virtue. Full bodied 'strong' cigars will lose a bit of their initial strength over time but may come out with a mellower more subtle taste - it all depends on how you like your smoking experience.

And enjoy.

I love aging mine I also mix things in my aging area of my humidor I put acids next to cohibas just to see how they change and I’ve been trying this for a few years it brings some unique flavors which is cool. Everything you said is pretty much perfect 

  • Like 1
Link to post

Elle Bleu and Daniel Marshall are probably the best mass market wood humidors. You can use something as simple as an airtight piece of tupperware or as extravagant as wine cooler fitted with custom made cedar shelves. 

I've never had any issues mixing wrappers of different colors, but one rule we can all agree on is to never put flavored/infused cigars in with your regular cigars. No Bueno!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges: :cobra-small: MIM 54* Versatile/60* Widelow

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Link to post
4 hours ago, Headhammer said:

 

I've never had any issues mixing wrappers of different colors, but one rule we can all agree on is to never put flavored/infused cigars in with your regular cigars. No Bueno!

This is probably the same reason for avoiding mixing your wrappers and vitolas. As the cigars age - and hydrate - it's not unusual for them to exude a bit of their natural oils. Not much of an issue perhaps, but enough to taint or cross contaminate a cigar you had marked down for a certain flavour once matured. Something like a maduro could stain an adjacent lighter shade wrapper for instance - particularly as we have already established that not all cigars react the same way to the same humidity. Better to be safe than sorry if you got a few expensive cigars on the line. An easy way to avoid - use seperate humidors for cigar styles, or if you have a seperator tray inside you humidor this will help too.

Link to post
On 3/29/2021 at 10:54 AM, jaskanski said:

Cedar. Spanish cedar is best - it needs to be seasoned or conditioned with a quick wipe down inside with a little distilled water, then perhaps add a Boveda conditioning pack for a couple of weeks before you add your cigars. While you wait you can leave your cigars in a zip lock bag with a Boveda pack (69% RH seems to work best). The humidor once conditioned may benefit from a 72% RH pack to allow for an amount of leakage - if you get a humidity monitor (hygrometer) to pop inside you can keep a check on the relative humidity to get it consistent. Check it weekly as a minimum.

Depending on your smokes, you may want to go up or down with the humidity to alow for the type of leaf you favour - thicker leaves will  need more humidity than thinner more delicate leaves that might need a little less, but generally 69-70% is the usual sweetspot to get. Keep you humidor out of direct sunlight and in an area with an even cool room tempeature  - inside a cupboard or drawer is usually fine.

You can go all out and get a computer controlled environmentally constant humidor with enough room to house 1000+ cigars depending on your budget and needs - but a realtively small 12" x 12" wooden humidor will work just fine for your daily, weekly, monthly smokes depending on how many you get through on a regular basis. As a general rule of thumb, get a humidor slightly larger than you need for the cigars you have stored in them.

Avoid mixing cigars with a strong aroma or a lighter/darker wrappers, and smaller/larger vitolas (sizes) in the same small humidor if you can. Lastly, aging cigars in a humidor takes months (even years sometimes) so patience is a virtue. Full bodied 'strong' cigars will lose a bit of their initial strength over time but may come out with a mellower more subtle taste - it all depends on how you like your smoking experience.

And enjoy.

I noticed a lot of attention is going to this humidor , The Newair 840.... Does anyone have any experiences using it.

https://crownhumidors.com/collections/electric-cigar-humidors/products/newair-840-count-electric-cigar-humidor-built-in-humidification-system-with-opti-temp™

Link to post

This was all the rage when it first came out and then people realized they could build their own units for less than half the price. All you really need is a thermoelectric cooler and you can line it with boxes or open Tupperware for single sticks. If you want to go all out you can have custom cedar drawers made for it. Here are some pics of my unit. (That sounded dirty)IMG_1551.JPG.612e4fe28c8b621f10a0414c3b172b3e.JPGIMG_1547.JPG.b9e7f11351c7108ae6470ec23afd371a.JPG

Edited by Headhammer
  • Love 2

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges: :cobra-small: MIM 54* Versatile/60* Widelow

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Link to post

Echoing what was said above in terms of building out your own. If you go on FB marketplace there are tons of people looking to get rid of wine coolers. I'll also say if you're keeping it in a place where your temps stay consistently around 70 (in the house, not in a garage or something) you can also just use a wine cooler that doesn't work. I kind of stumbled on this by mistake buying one on FB marketplace and when I got home it didn't work and got refunded the money. Realized it would be the right temp and the seal still works great. If you don't want to custom build shelves, they have pretty cheap cedar trays available on amazon. I just slowly bought trays and additional humidity options (jars with beads work great for bigger spaces) and slowly built it out. 

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

Link to post

That is a beautiful unit! 🤣🤣 OMG! I went the more inexpensive route and bought a igloo cooler, stood it on end, bought rubber coated closet shelf, cut it to width and put rubber caps on the ends to finish it, and used that for the shelves. I bought spanish cedar to line the inside and spanish cedar trays off ebay. mind you that was a lot of years ago, and it is still going strong. Doesn't look the best but its in an area people dont generally see anyway.

  • Like 3
Link to post
On 4/4/2021 at 8:35 AM, Headhammer said:

This was all the rage when it first came out and then people realized they could build their own units for less than half the price. All you really need is a thermoelectric cooler and you can line it with boxes or open Tupperware for single sticks. If you want to go all out you can have custom cedar drawers made for it. Here are some pics of my unit. (That sounded dirty)IMG_1551.JPG.612e4fe28c8b621f10a0414c3b172b3e.JPGIMG_1547.JPG.b9e7f11351c7108ae6470ec23afd371a.JPG

I think I’ll end up doing this I love this idea for when I finish my master bedroom

  • Like 2
Link to post

@Placasse61 could probably shed some light on this one 

nice setup @Headhammer next is a walk in for you

  • Haha 1

Check out my reviews

 :ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

WITB:

 :taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

On The Bench:

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...