TESTERS WANTED! ×

Working in the Golf Industry

Just looking for some general feedback from those that work in the industry. Is it true what they say that if you love what you do you will never work a day in your life??? Do you get to play golf more often or is that an old wives tale? How did you get your start in the industry? What is your background? I am looking at future career options (currently working as an Asset Reliability manager for a large privately owned beverage company) and wondering if working in the golf industry is a possibility. Thanks!

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 9* MC Kuro Kago Silver 60 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 949X Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

I used to work in retail golf as a cashier and later as a club repair. Some days were bad while others great - all depends on the customers and their level of need. Some are okay to shop alone without distraction while others want directly assistance on every detail/info of the product they are looking for. In repairs, everyone wants their stuff done asap but most understand if youre honest up front about turnaround time, they'll wait if it means 100% attention to their clubs. Obviously there are extreme situations that vary from that but this was mostly my days behind the counter. I loved the discount that was offered to us as well as the ability to tinker on my own stuff whenever I wanted.

@Golfspy_CG2 wow thank you for that insightful reply. I have heard of the pros that just teach and teach and never get to play. As an asset reliability manager, my experience is mostly technical with machinery so I was thinking about looking into working at an OEM in their manufacturing division to help with that kind of asset reliability. Right now I am trying to see what kinds of jobs are available in the industry ( I have searched on LinkedIn and other career websites to see if anything matches my experiences and background and I noticed that most of the current openings do not). Maybe I need to decide if it is really something I want to change into and figure out how to make it happen (maybe learning a new skill, etc). I was also thinking that something could drop into my lap someday so I should always be ready! Getting in a few holes here and there with a full 18 hole round a week sounds like a dream! And I definitely agree that networking is more important than what you actually know. Will have to try and make more connections in the industry!

@ACA_619 Thanks for the reply! I was definitely leaning more towards working for an OEM as an asset reliability/maintenance manager of some sort but still appreciate the time you took to let me know about your experiences! Are you still working in the golf industry?

Hybrids: sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 949X Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

I worked for Europe's largest golf retailer from the age of 16 to 21, I left 10 years ago. At first it was great, discounts, access to the latest clubs etc, we also received free rounds at local clubs but as time went on I was fed up with golf, on my days off the last thing I wanted to do was play golf. I was working in golf 5 days a week, playing golf on my days off was just too much golf. I have a friend who is a chef, loves cooking, but wont cook for himself, I guess its the same. Another issue I had was bumping into customers on the course, who would ask lots of questions about their equipment and what I had in my bag, also my playing partners would ask an endless amount of questions once they found out who I worked for. Eventually I stopped playing golf altogether for a couple of years, went back to the game slowly, injured my neck and stopped playing for another few years but finally got back into the game last year and am enjoying it much more now my hobby is my hobby and not my job

:callaway-small:, Driver, Mavrik Max 10.5*, Aldila rouge white 60, XS flex

:mizuno-small:, 3 Wood, MX-700, S flex

:callaway-small:, 4 Hybrid, Mavrik Max, S flex

:Sub70: , 5-PW 699 Pro, KBS Tour S flex

:titelist-small:, Wedges, Vokey, 52*, 56*, 60*

:odyssey-small:, Putter, Stroke Lab Black #7

:titleist-small:, Pro V1

On 3/30/2021 at 9:58 AM, golfish! said:

Just looking for some general feedback from those that work in the industry. Is it true what they say that if you love what you do you will never work a day in your life??? Do you get to play golf more often or is that an old wives tale? How did you get your start in the industry? What is your background? I am looking at future career options (currently working as an Asset Reliability manager for a large privately owned beverage company) and wondering if working in the golf industry is a possibility. Thanks!

Good morning!

I have a little insight on this particular topic.  

I have worked in the golf industry in various positions since 1996. I took one year away when my daughter was born, but quickly found my way back.

There are so many different ways to be involved in the industry. I am currently the DOG at a public 18 hole facility in my hometown.  I just fell into this job, and I plan on leaving never.

Depending on the position and situation, you can play as much or as little as you like.  Everyone has a different situation. I play about 2-3 days a week when I have time. Otherwise I am strapped to my desk. 

I play in some chapter events, and a bunch of Pro-Am event with the membership.  (my course owner insists).

I can't think of anything else that I would rather do.

The compensation can be a touch low for people just getting into the business, but as I referenced above, every situation is different.

If you like people, are friendly and can talk to anyone,  there is a place in the business for you.  Give me a shout. I am always looking for good people.

Best of luck!

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Story time. 

My first experience in the golf business was as a caddy. This was at Chagrin Valley CC on the east side of Cleveland, it's a prestigious club designed by Stanley Thompson, but not as well known as the other, bigger clubs in the area. Canterbury is the one everyone knows because that's hosted most recently a Senior PGA event, and the Korn Ferry Tour. I worked there from 1999-2004 so high school and college. The membership was great, very rarely did I get a grumpy guy who yelled at me. Some members would just pay flat rate no matter who you were, which at the time was $30/bag. Or guys who expected that extra little bit of caddy help, you know what I mean, "Why don't you improve your lie sir?" I once had a guy literally tell me "if this ball was one FOOT over, I'd be in the fairway!" Anyways overall it was a good experience and getting to play the course for free on Mondays was special. What drove me nuts is that I think in the 5 years I was there, I maybe got a weekday loop half a dozen times. I don't know what it was but I was only ever looping on weekends, unless there was a tournament, or holiday. Also there was no place on site we were allowed to use the bathroom or get food. I tried other clubs but either they weren't interested in me, or you had to pay the caddy master a cut of your loop. So I left for awhile, but returned in 2008 for 2 more years. When I came back, it was a totally different place, I don't know if there was a caddies strike or what happened, but now I was making at least $50/bag, I was getting at least 4 loops per week, still playing on Mondays, and we could use the patio grill - we could at least buy a hot dog and some chips. or half a sandwich for $2. Loops were first come first serve so show up at 10 or 11 and sit there for the guys coming out after lunch. So it was nice to be able to grab a quick bite, and if you happened to catch 36 on a weekend, wolf down that dog in-between loops. Members would always take care of us for drinks on the course, but asking them for food was frowned upon. Though when they had the stations set up during the outings we were allowed to help ourselves to the drinks and snacks. No beer, but I had a few guys toss me one and say "Sorry we suck, you need this."

Now for those in-between years. Getting tired of sitting around all week, I went to work for Dick's Sporting Goods in the golf department. I was essentially full time, without full time so pay was better over the 2 loops a week. Dick's was kind of a terrible company to work for, but the golf department was kind of left to it's own devices. It was cool to work one-on-one with a PGA pro and pick their brain about the business and get lessons because they're bored. We also got to demo pretty much every new club that hit our floor. So this is the time of the R7s, Nike Sumo, and MacGregor's final days. So everything from Callaway, TaylorMade, Cleveland, Adams, Nike, Odyssey I got to play with. The best time was our show day in March. It was one day where they would take us all to a hotel conference room and each company's sales rep would come in and give us a presentation. The best part was the goodies, everyone gave us a hat, and every company that produced balls gave us at least a sleeve. There was one year where Callaway gave us 2 dozen of their HX56 balls. I only remember that because it's the only Callaway product I ever liked, those balls were awesome. Eventually DSG started messing with hours and a new store manager and a miserable pro. 

So I decided to try and actually get into the business. Another country club on the east side, actually just up the street from Dick's was looking for a third assistant professional. So with a recommendation from the current pro at DSG, I landed the job. I started on April 1....and I was let go before the 4th of July. Boy did I get screwed there. So they hired me knowing I had zero experience in a club setting and no idea what I was getting into, I would need to be fully trained. I hadn't even registered in the local PGA Apprentice program. At least I got a few dozen balls, a couple dozen shirts, shoes, hats, and a few clubs. What happened was that at the time, this club was partnered with two others on the southwest side of Cleveland, about 45 minutes away. All 4 pros quit those clubs at the same time. So they took the head pro who hired me and was looking forward to teaching a new kid the ropes and made him the director of golf for both courses. The assistant pro was one of the most miserable people I'd ever met and he had zero interest in training me or even talking to me. The new head pro they brought in, also brought in his own shop people and staff members from the course he previously worked at. Now there wasn't a place for me anymore. I was hired not knowing anything, not given an ounce of training, then let go 3 months later because I didn't know anything. So that ended all ventures into the business.

Regarding current pros, I've met a few that really don't play that much, but it's not necessarily for a lack of time. Mostly it seems that while they have time to get in at least that 18 a week, and they'll be comped at just about any course they go to, is that they don't have the time to play to get their games to where they know it could be, so they get frustrated and tired. Yes, they can go out and break 80 no problem, but they remember where the game was when they got into the business and know they'll not regain that level of play without serious work. When I caddied, all 3 pros played every Sunday with the members, but I don't know how much other time they had beyond that. I believe the other reason pros avoid playing too much is the local PGA chapter tournaments, lots of guys avoid them. If you look at the leaderboards, it usually the same half dozen guys that are in the money. The guys where it's a huge club with 4+ pros or a guy at a public course that has nowhere near the duties of a club pro. So these guys don't want to spend $200 to enter a tournament, shoot a 75, finish 18th and keep donating to the same group that actually have their game in top shape.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

My general recommendation is to avoid working at golf courses/clubs as a career. I worked for a few courses/clubs during college and watched three PGA head pros not just quit or get fired but completely leave the golf industry. They were all burnt out before age 50 and even the assistant pros were burnt out before they even got a shot as a head pro. The reality is that almost any job at a golf club is purely sales. Pros may give lessons during the week but beyond that it's sales and politics every other hour and they work a lot of hours. If you are the manager type and have the qualifications to be a GM, things are even harder. Now you have the social members breathing down your neck along with the golfers. The politics of private clubs is also weird, even at the "easy going" clubs. Depending on club budgets, the best position on the golf course may be the superintendent job if your not into 24/7 sales and politics. They are under constant pressure too but at least it's not every second of every day. When I worked for a grounds crew one fall it was almost a zen like experience every morning with the exception of having to wake up at 5:00AM. It was cool outside and everyone just went off and did their thing they were assigned to. Not always fun or clean but generally it was enjoyable. Nothing more peaceful that mowing straight lines in grass. The only issue if you want to be a superintendent is that it generally requires some form of turf degree. 

I don't know anything about working on the OEM manufacturer side.

5 hours ago, Kansas King said:

My general recommendation is to avoid working at golf courses/clubs as a career. I worked for a few courses/clubs during college and watched three PGA head pros not just quit or get fired but completely leave the golf industry. They were all burnt out before age 50 and even the assistant pros were burnt out before they even got a shot as a head pro. The reality is that almost any job at a golf club is purely sales. Pros may give lessons during the week but beyond that it's sales and politics every other hour and they work a lot of hours. If you are the manager type and have the qualifications to be a GM, things are even harder. Now you have the social members breathing down your neck along with the golfers. The politics of private clubs is also weird, even at the "easy going" clubs. Depending on club budgets, the best position on the golf course may be the superintendent job if your not into 24/7 sales and politics. They are under constant pressure too but at least it's not every second of every day. When I worked for a grounds crew one fall it was almost a zen like experience every morning with the exception of having to wake up at 5:00AM. It was cool outside and everyone just went off and did their thing they were assigned to. Not always fun or clean but generally it was enjoyable. Nothing more peaceful that mowing straight lines in grass. The only issue if you want to be a superintendent is that it generally requires some form of turf degree. 

I don't know anything about working on the OEM manufacturer side.

+1 on this.  Our assistant pro quit 7 years ago and went into selling cars. Our Pro / GM works 6 to 7 days a week and countless hours and does not get paid what he is worth. He hardly ever gets to play golf unless he goes to another course to get away and not be bothered. In the 15 years I've been there I never saw him out playing golf on our course. If you don't get on a high end course you wont get paid as well as you should for the time and effort you put in (especially if you are on salary instead of hourly). 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

+1 on this.  Our assistant pro quit 7 years ago and went into selling cars. Our Pro / GM works 6 to 7 days a week and countless hours and does not get paid what he is worth. He hardly ever gets to play golf unless he goes to another course to get away and not be bothered. In the 15 years I've been there I never saw him out playing golf on our course. If you don't get on a high end course you wont get paid as well as you should for the time and effort you put in (especially if you are on salary instead of hourly). 

Our pro/GM pretty much runs the course, but he has a good GC Superintendent and pro shop help have been around for several years.  He rarely gives lessons, but we also have a teaching pro who works separate from the course.  Our pro is pretty laid back and does get out to play with the Men's Gangsome and one league during the week.  The COVID shutdown really got to him last year; he started drinking... heavily!  But at the start of this year, he quit drinking and grew a beard, so things are almost normal.  He's happier now that we are allowed 2 riders per cart.

The guy that doesn't get to play is the guy who basically runs the pro shop... tee times, green fees, range balls, calling groups to tees.  He's there most every day.  Good player, but I've only seen him play once in the Friday Big Money group.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

No experience to relay, but I played with kid that is interning at a local resort in the area and he loves it. He does absolutely everything around the course from driving range duties, cleaning golf carts, working in the pro shop, etc. So he is getting exposure to all aspects of the course work and as a fringe he gets to play all the courses at the resort at no charge. He absolutely loves it, but he is really young with no idea what he wants to do with his life yet, so it's sort of the perfect situation for him. Not sure where you are in your career or life situations, but an internship sounds like a great way to get exposed to a lot of people in the industry to see what you may or may not want to do.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

My home club is operated by one guy.  He is the head professional and GM.  It's a stock/equity club so that may make a difference, I'm not sure.  When he took over a little over 15 years ago, the club was drowning in debt from bad management and decision making previously.  The membership base was declining and aging quickly.  Within a decade, we were virtually debt free and now have 375 stock owning, dues paying members.  The facilities are in considerably better condition.  He hired an outstanding superintendent who has made a world of difference.  They work exceptionally well together.

I say all of that to say, the head pro/GM at my club plays over 300 rounds of golf every year!  The membership has a steady rotation of guys managing the shop renting carts and selling sweaters.  It's been my experience, the more needy the membership base, the less time the pro/GM will have to play golf.  For everything he as done to bring our little club back to life, he deserves to play golf with his three sons every day.

5 hours ago, Headhammer said:

No experience to relay, but I played with kid that is interning at a local resort in the area and he loves it. He does absolutely everything around the course from driving range duties, cleaning golf carts, working in the pro shop, etc. So he is getting exposure to all aspects of the course work and as a fringe he gets to play all the courses at the resort at no charge. He absolutely loves it, but he is really young with no idea what he wants to do with his life yet, so it's sort of the perfect situation for him. Not sure where you are in your career or life situations, but an internship sounds like a great way to get exposed to a lot of people in the industry to see what you may or may not want to do.

Yeah...not looking for an internship at this stage of my life...not when I have a family to feed. Maybe 20 years ago for sure! but thanks for the share!The_Intern_Poster.jpg.59d462fb3948cd2e68cd1a78a8ddf68e.jpg

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

I equate this question to that of "so you want to be a fly fishing guide?" 🤣.  These gigs always look and sound phenomenal.  Now I will say that as a part time job in retirement, where one does it more just for fun and the want to be around the on-goings of the sport/industry, I think they are a really good - and I've had thoughts of doing this myself if we relocate to AZ.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

59 minutes ago, golfish! said:

Yeah...not looking for an internship at this stage of my life...not when I have a family to feed. Maybe 20 years ago for sure! but thanks for the share!The_Intern_Poster.jpg.59d462fb3948cd2e68cd1a78a8ddf68e.jpg

That was a great movie as was this one. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

3 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

That was a great movie as was this one. 

Yeah that might be more closer to my age range than DeNiro lol

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I equate this question to that of "so you want to be a fly fishing guide?" 🤣.  These gigs always look and sound phenomenal.  Now I will say that as a part time job in retirement, where one does it more just for fun and the want to be around the on-goings of the sport/industry, I think they are a really good - and I've had thoughts of doing this myself if we relocate to AZ.

Yeah I can totally see myself volunteering as a marshall or ambassador at a course just in my free time after I retire. For now I know I do not want to work at a course as I know that my background and experiences would not be much help there. I was definitely leaning towards working at a major OEM as maintenance/reliability manager. I have experience with streamlining processes and improving efficiency. Manufacturing would be tough since most of that is done overseas. I am thinking maybe in an assembly plant helping to streamline their assembly lines and organizing parts and inventory etc.

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

13 hours ago, golfish! said:

Yeah I can totally see myself volunteering as a marshall or ambassador at a course just in my free time after I retire. For now I know I do not want to work at a course as I know that my background and experiences would not be much help there. I was definitely leaning towards working at a major OEM as maintenance/reliability manager. I have experience with streamlining processes and improving efficiency. Manufacturing would be tough since most of that is done overseas. I am thinking maybe in an assembly plant helping to streamline their assembly lines and organizing parts and inventory etc.

You are in the correct part of the planet to pursue that line of work in this industry...  

All the best!

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

34 minutes ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

You are in the correct part of the planet to pursue that line of work in this industry...  

All the best!

Thanks! I ahve started reaching out to TA/HR and Engineers at Callaway, Taylormade, PXG, Titleist. Looking at reaching out to other OEMs as well!

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is a couple of years old, but your questions about working in the golf industry are still relevant. Getting started in the golf industry often involves networking, a passion for the sport, and possibly relevant experience. Your background as an Asset Reliability manager could bring valuable skills to the table, like organization and management.
If you're still considering a career change, it's never too late to explore the golf industry further, reach out to professionals in the field, and see where your interests and skills align.
And if you ever want to explore government jobs, you can check out opportunities on this Govt Jobs website. It's always good to have options when planning your career.

Edited by TylerJohnson