TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why do people collect putters?

Kansas King

I find it hard to part with any club that I've played well with and is part of my golfing development. For putters I occasionally have a clear out and immediately regret it. When my Gamer stops working, I think back to the magical round I had with the Scotty Squareback and get it out only for it to be banished 2 rounds later. Likewise the Odyssey MetalX, Odyssey Tank, Odyssey 2 ball, Rossa Monza, Rossa Monza Corza,  Rossa Monza Daytona, GEL Blade, TM SpiderX.

I had an old brass milled blade that I had used 20 years ago that would come out every so often. I sold it to a friend and I'm really tempted to buy it back.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

22 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

I have a collection of Scotty Cameron putters and quite a few of them have never been taken out of the original packaging. Why do I collect them because I have the resources. Several of them are valued 10 times the original cost. I guess everybody has their own thing,

There’s people in a scotty cameron group that have basements full of various CT putters, bags, covers that would blow peoples minds. One off the guys i played with in 2018 had 81 putters in his basement at that time and had bought 2 more that I can recall while we were at the gallery. 

He also has hundreds of baseballs signed by non baseball players including one he got tiger to sign

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I have six putters in my truck toolbox (see signature). That's  the most I have owned ever so I suppose you could call those my collection. The thing is, I love everyone of them! 😍  I'm having really good success with the Odyssey Triple Track 10 Putter and it's my temporary permanent putter for now. 😉  It's like a bunch of Beagle hounds on a good rabbit hunt.  There's always one that shines out and earns more time at the head of the pack. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• 1 month later...

I am to have a growing collection of putters, not sure why I keep them all to be honest. Maybe I just didn't feel like they would sell/trade in for much? Being retired military, I know I found some to be better for me at different locations/conditions. I have a never compromise sub30, Nike method, Nike method counterweight, Ben Hogan baby Ben, Ben Hogan the Hawk, and currently in my bag is the Mizuno m craft V. 

Driver:   :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX LS, 10.5, stiff

:taylormade-small: BRNR MiniDriver, S-Flex

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Rouge ST MAX 3 wood, stiff

Fairway:  :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX 3 hybrid, S-flex

Irons:   New Level 902 OS, 5-PW, S-Flex

Wedges: :taylormade-small: hi-toe 50, 54, 58,  DG S300 S-flex

Putter:  :EVNROLL: Zero

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour/Z Star

Grips:  Golf Pride Z Grip midsize

• 2 weeks later...

Why does anyone collect anything? Putters, Cars, Thimbles, Old Radio's!?! To each their own. However, I'd have to speculate that a lot of golfers or proclaimed "Putter Collector's" collection usually begin because of their tireless search for their "magic" stick and they simply start stacking up in the garage. Case in point.....I have a buddy who is a very good single digit golfer. However, he's always tinkering with putters.....I wouldn't be shocked if he has over 12 expensive putters of different shapes and brands.

For me, I've dabbled in collecting SC putters and accessories. I do it because I like it and I absolutely love the game of golf. A lot of guys have sports memorabilia in the "man" caves or offices.....why not golf related?

I don't collect run of the mill putters.....but, I own, or have owned multiple Circle T, limited release putters (My girls). If you know the market, know what you are doing, you can actually make a few bucks here or there or at worst break even buying and selling SC putters. I purchased a SC CT 009 putter in 2008 for $1900. Gamed it up until a few years ago and sold it last year for $2500. Not a bad ROI for a used putter. My current gamer is a CT X5 that I'm confident will make a few bucks if I ever decide to sell it. Right now, it's NOT going anywhere. As, putting is one of my strong suits in the game and I absolutely love it!

:titleist-small: TSR2 - Ventus Red, 6X

:titleist-small: TSR2 3W - Ventus Red, 7X

:titleist-small: TSR2 5W - Ventus Red TR, 8X

:mizuno-small: JPX 223 Tour PW-7i/JPX 223 Forged 6i-4i - Nippon Modus 130X

:taylormade-small: MG3 - 50, 54, 58* -  Nippon Modus 130X

:scotty-small: Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura X5 

:titleist-small: Titleist Prov1

1) Putters are so uniquely personal  2) I like pretty things  3) I got tired of collecting ex-wives (much more expensive than any putter) 

I currently only own three (down from about 8), Cameron Phantom X 6 STR with a Cameron Jumbo Matador grip and a custom paint job, an Evnroll ER2 CS with a Two Thumbs grip and a Cameron Phantom X 8 with a Two Thumbs grip and a custom paint job.  When one goes cold for a bit the others are ready to fill in (put me in coach!).   Always looking for a new putter that looks great and will listen to me (unlike the wives). 

:ping-small: G425 Driver - 10.5 degree

Callaway EPIC MAX 3W

Callaway Heavenwood 7W 

:ping-small: G425 4 Hybrid - 22 degree

Takomo 201's - Nippon MODUS 105 shafts

:scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 8 Putter - Original "Two Thumb" grip 

Edel Trapper Wedge Lob Wedge 60 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com 54 and 58 degree V-Grind SMS wedges

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my position and I'm sticking to it is - I used to be a terrible putter. I wanted to get better. I tried putters galore in stores with a putting green, and if I really liked one I would buy it. None were expensive. But I did get addicted. Now I have over 40 and some are pricey. I won several Camerons, gave one to my wife, sold one to a friend and have 6 left. They are not my best putters though. My Clevelands (total 6), SnakeEyes (total 4), a Tad Moore, and I do take out my Hogan Bettinardi and a Cameron or two occasionally. These all have varied pistol grips and weights and they all have different purposes. So now I know what I like and need in a putter so I haven't bought many in the past couple years.

I did think I had a problem when I counted them a couple years ago but then I thought, hey I have a collection. Then I felt better. Funny, and I am a much better putter now.

Driver Titleist 910 with KuroKage R or Cleveland Classic

3 wd Titleist 910 with Diamana

7 wd Snake eyes with Irod

23 and 28 Adams Idea Pro Gold Hybrids with nv protos

Irons either Adams Idea Pro Gold chrome or smoke, or wishon 555 with KK 70

TM wedges

Putters - Snake eyes (4), Cleveland (8), Cameron (6), or others.

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2021 at 2:25 PM, yungkory said:

They like them

E2710E20-A7D5-4D99-A5A0-5225BCA79226.jpeg

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

I used to be a putter collector about 10 years ago, mostly "Made for the Tour" Cameron putters.  I just eventually got bored with the politics of the "Cameronistas" and sold almost everything when people were still willing to pay a pretty penny for hand stamped 009's and Cameron & Co.

I still own 3 which were made for me, but other than that, I'm no longer in the collecting business.   It was fun when I did it, but once I stopped, I never missed it again.

Driver:  TM SIM2 Max

Woods:  3/5 TM SIM2 Max

Hybrid:  22 PXG

Irons:  5-PW 0311XF PXG

Wedges: 50/54/58 Vokey SM8 Black 

Putter:  Custom SC 009 35/330g

• 1 month later...

Why collect anything?  We all have what interests us.  Some people collect coins, some stamps, and I sure there are countless other things people collect.  Why?  Because that is what they enjoy.  While I do not collect putters, I can see the attraction. 

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2021 at 9:44 AM, Jmikecpa said:

Okay, I guess I finally will pipe up.  As someone that had to build an 8 foot tall rack over the summer to hold all the putters I own I guess some can say I am a collector.  I have all different manufacturers, models and anything from OTR putters to tour stuff, to customs....name a type of putter and I probably own it or have at one time in my life.  I would guess I could play golf every day for at least 8 months of the year and never use the same putter for more than one round before I had to use one a second time.  I could go about double that if I wanted to use a different putter cover for each round I played.  So the question is why?  Well, I have a golf room in my basement with a putting green and that is my relaxation room and I enjoy relaxing down there and rolling putts with a bunch of different putters, my way to relieve some stress after a long day of work.  I also enjoy the hunt for new putters or if I find something that fits my eye it will go home with me.  I have a putter that Rocco Mediate used at the 2004 Master's (https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2004/10/12/2004-newsmakers-mediates-putter-spurs-11th-hour-ad/) and to me that is cool.  I also have putters made for Gil Morgan and Chip Beck that I was able to acquire as well as stuff from smaller makers that I was fitted for and made for me.  It is how I choose to spend my disposable income and well it is fun for me.  I don't want anyone to understand it or really couldn't care less if you do or don't.  It is something that I enjoy (along with trap shooting and fast cars) that I will continue to do; well at least until my wife makes me start going to a support group or something.  

Love this! Just curious which putter is your favorite and which putter do you game the most!?

:titelist-small: Tsi2 9.0º Tensei Blue AV-Series 55g

:callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero 3 Wood 15.0º Project X HZRDUS T800 65g

:callaway-small: Epic Heaven Wood 20.0º Project X HZRDUS T800 65g

:titelist-small: 716 AP2 Irons 3-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S300 +1/2 Length, +2 lie

:callaway-small: MD3 Wedge Milled S Grind 52º 10º

:callaway-small: MD Wedge PM Grind 60º 10º

:cameron-small:  SSS Tour Masterful 009 350g

DXTuapS.png 3.5 Push Cart     Dxywf21.jpg 1V1jJyL.png

I've got a few putters but not a huge collection.

I'm still playing the Ram Zebra that as a golf newbie I purchased for the 1978 season.

[Seventy-five bucks, manufacturer's list price, no discount available.]

The Zebra was the first "face balanced" putter I had ever seen or touched, and it immediately felt like something altogether different.  But unlike toe hang putters, all face-balanced putters of comparable weight feel pretty much the same.  Never a need to change, but I have tried others.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

12 hours ago, nkandra said:

Love this! Just curious which putter is your favorite and which putter do you game the most!?

Favorite short putter is either the TP Mills my wife got me or the T Squared that I had made for me. Also fond of the Betti putter that was done for the Eagles win in the Super Bowl. Favorite long putter I own is a Rocco Mediate Betti that he used in 2004 at the Master’s. 

Gamer is a Ping B90 broomstick from the 90’s that has been in the bag for the last several months and not going anywhere anytime soon. 

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

It’s an interesting question, I am using an ER2Evnroll and I love it, but I also have 3 other putters. Two of them Scotties, one of which I have just customized. Yet I am not sure when they will see daylight 

on a course. Could another of my putters really be as good as the ER2? Maybe but I am a little scared to try it. Before the ER2 I was absolutely up for trailing new putters, but not now. So maybe these others are the start of my collection? 

collect away…

Where golf is a way of life, and work but a distraction.

It is easy to use several at a time on the practice green, or swap every few rounds, with less risk and effort than running thru a bunch of drivers.  And since few of us actually get fitted, study the geometry, or apply any discipline, we go hot and cold, assume it is the club, buy another one.

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

And, I have 2, both face balanced, and I am trying to zero in on a heavy face balanced, with lie and length fit to my long arm length.  I have a Dave Musty Classic mallet wood, a design he has made the same for maybe 20 years, and a Scotty Cameron Futura X that is about 5 years old.  I am thinking of getting a Musty made for me, with some internal weights to mimic the winged or 2 tyne style.  If you don't know what a tyne is, study up.  a.k.a. tine.

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

You buy an expensive putter, play with it a couple of years then it loses its luster (ability to make a putt for you).  You can't get anything near what your paid for it, why just give it away?  Put it in a bag in the garage with the rest of stuff that has no value.

WITB

Driver - Taylormade M6

3wd - Taylormade RBZ

Hybrids - Taylormade RBZ

Irons - Taylormade RSi1

Putter - Macgregor Smoothie

About 10 years ago I got an idea that putters should have round faces, so I started making aluminum face plates with a rounded surface.  All of my putters got a nice new round face plate, and my putting improved dramatically. Then one day I discovered that there have been round putters for a long time, so I started searching Google & EBay. Today I have a couple dozen round & round faced putters, as well as my own creations. I am a hopeless collector of curiosities.      

Like everything else in life.  It it something that makes them happy and it is their choice.  If they can afford it, I say go for it.  Not hurting anyone.  I do not collect golf clubs.  Only art, better investment than the stock market.  Really nice to look at and it gains in value every day.  Makes me smile as I walk thru my house.  If you are going to collect, collect in something that increases in value.  With respect to all.  CZ  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I suspect that people collect putters because there isn't much market for used ones.

If you can't sell them, the choice becomes give them away, throw them away, or collect them.

That's just my guess, but I could be completely wrong.

I pretty much keep all of my old stuff, and I've never bought a used putter,

so I have no direct experience in this matter.

Also, I've played the same Ram Zebra since 1978,

but I have been noodling around with a new Cleveland #14.

It feels very similar, and it doesn't look like it's been through a war.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

• 3 weeks later...

I always wondered why some woman collect some many handbags.  Doesn’t one do the job?  
I should ask myself that question more often 
I don’t really know what I collect. I did get rid of half my collection and still have one dozen putters.   I have to do some cleaning in the next two weeks and settled on 4 more 5 that I will keep.  ( until I buy a new one)

Edited by Haro

Cleaning my storage and have some vintage putters.  The bullseye is in a collection  bin with old persimmon woods.  I don’t like to even practice with a bullseye.  
Have a 8802 that I still like to practice with though I cannot game with this putter 

I have moved on to ones that have plumbers neck or free flow swan neck design with modern heads 

1 hour ago, Haro said:

Cleaning my storage and have some vintage putters.  The bullseye is in a collection  bin with old persimmon woods.  I don’t like to even practice with a bullseye.  
Have a 8802 that I still like to practice with though I cannot game with this putter 

I have moved on to ones that have plumbers neck or free flow swan neck design with modern heads 

Bullseyes are shaft aligned. If there's significant arc to your putting stroke, you're never going to like the Bullseye.

You're hitting the ball a split second too soon.

I can play with a Bullseye no problem, but I've found shaft-aligned putter that I like more.

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

6 hours ago, BostonSal said:

Bullseyes are shaft aligned. If there's significant arc to your putting stroke, you're never going to like the Bullseye.

You're hitting the ball a split second too soon.

I can play with a Bullseye no problem, but I've found shaft-aligned putter that I like more.

what do you mean by shaft aligned?  center with no offset? 

Yes I have  much arc and face rotation, 

I prefer the putters with  shafts  inserted closer to the heel of the putter head 

Edited by Haro

15 hours ago, Haro said:

what do you mean by shaft aligned?  center with no offset? 

Yes I have  much arc and face rotation, 

I prefer the putters with  shafts  inserted closer to the heel of the putter head 

No offset whether heel or center shafted is what I need most.

My Dandy Tour Blade is ONSET with the face ahead of the shaft.  That's another one that I go to from time to time.

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Unfortunately most putters have very little value and not worth it to trade or sell. There are exceptions, but for $50 or less I'd just keep it and buy another when I find one I like...sometimes new or used. Just found an Odyssey Rossie White Hot, 9.5 condition for $25! Don't need it but couldn't pass it up.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

For me is started as a way to test different styles (blade vs mallet) Then I'd just find deals here and there or was allowed to keep them after testing and writing up reviews. Finally, when I found my favorite gamer, I took the same philosophy as I run my business. I needed a backup and then a backup of the backup. 

On 4/1/2021 at 7:49 AM, Kanoito said:

I have a box full of cables. Does that count?

Not until you mount them in your man cave. 

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH