Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Why do people collect putters?

Kansas King

13 hours ago, Fenix said:

For me is started as a way to test different styles (blade vs mallet) Then I'd just find deals here and there or was allowed to keep them after testing and writing up reviews. Finally, when I found my favorite gamer, I took the same philosophy as I run my business. I needed a backup and then a backup of the backup. 

I have the backup to backup thing going on to   😆

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I have a collection of putters which represent some of the most popular shapes and styles. I have a SeeMore, an 8802, a Zebra, a Tear Drop, a Ping Anser, a Fat Lady Swings, and some older, antique styles. I putt with all of them at one time or another and switch when my putting goes south every once in a while. I will never pay more than $50 for an old putter. They are just fun to have.

Ping G425 driver

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G30 4 & 5 & 7 hybrids

Maltby 8 - GW  & Cleveland 52 wedge

Wilson putter 

Srixon Z-star ball

I have 4. They are all very different. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Everyone needs a hobby that brings them enjoyment in life.  My wife and I are art collectors and because of this we get to go on some great trips to auctions and meet some great artists.  Some have asked why do you do it?  We enjoy art by specific artist and looking at it in our home.  It is a great investment and the dividends are better than the stock market.  It makes us happy.  I can see why they collect and if they can afford it, I applaud them.  Some of those putters are one of a kind and only increase in value.  That may not be something I want to invest in but I can see it a a good hobby and investment.  I have a couple of Newport 2 Select Notchbacks first and last in series that I game.  Good enough for me.  I play the clubs that I own.  Do whatever makes you happy in life.  I always say, be yourself, everyone else is taken.   Hakuna matata! 

Edited by ChuckZ

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

On 10/13/2021 at 3:44 PM, ChuckZ said:

Everyone needs a hobby that brings them enjoyment in life.  My wife and I are art collectors and because of this we get to go on some great trips to auctions and meet some great artists.  Some have asked why do you do it?  We enjoy art by specific artist and looking at it in our home.  It is a great investment and the dividends are better than the stock market.  It makes us happy.  I can see why they collect and if they can afford it, I applaud them.  Some of those putters are one of a kind and only increase in value.  That may not be something I want to invest in but I can see it a a good hobby and investment.  I have a couple of Newport 2 Select Notchbacks first and last in series that I game.  Good enough for me.  I play the clubs that I own.  Do whatever makes you happy in life.  I always say, be yourself, everyone else is taken.   Hakuna matata! 

And there it is, the right reason to collect!  Good for you Chuck!!! 👍👍👍

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 2:42 PM, Fenix said:

For me is started as a way to test different styles (blade vs mallet) Then I'd just find deals here and there or was allowed to keep them after testing and writing up reviews. Finally, when I found my favorite gamer, I took the same philosophy as I run my business. I needed a backup and then a backup of the backup. 

So now I'm adding to the collection again. Recently had a putter fitter at Bettinardi in Chicago and walked away with a new putter ..... and then bought a backup of it that I'm sending out for a different finish and paint fill 😅

I went into the fitting saying that the new putter did have to beat my existing one, I didn't need to buy another one. Through the fitting it was close but the new Bettinardi did out perform my current putter so, in the bag it goes! 

bettinardi-everardo-golf-211103114409.jpg