Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Time to replace my original AP2 irons

Gasman82

Hi all,

First post so please be gentle. I’m looking to replace my original AP2 irons from 2009 purely due to wear and tear. They have PX 6.5 shafts and have always ticked the boxes for me. 

What would people recommend considering in replacing them? I have zero brand loyalty and will consider anything I can readily demo in England. 

My main desires are:

1. Choice of shafts without stupid upcharge
  2. Similar feel in terms of super solid contact
  3. Clubhead size the same or very slightly larger
  4. Forged construction i.e. no hollow heads
  5. Swing weight the same or fractionally higher - I’ve really noticed that every new iron I’ve picked up off the rack feels super light in the head in comparison. 

The best thing to do would be to get find the right combo for you especially with brands offering more free upgrades shafts now than in 2009.

With that out of the way you have lots of options.

Shaft wise not really a need to change if you like the px 6.5 but some other options would be Nippon modus 120 or 130 in X. Some brands will have this has an upcharge some won’t, usually around $10/shaft if it is. The $taper from kbs usually about $20-25 upcharge. The shaft that’s getting a lot of attention is the MMT from Mitsubishi, but that might run a little more.

For heads you have a wide variety that are good.

Titleist T100 or T100-S,

Srixon zx7 or even the zx5, could go into the z forged if you want something a little smaller.

TM p770

Callaway has several like the x forged or apex pro

Cobra forged tech or mm

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Let's keep it simple - another set of AP2's then?

Nothing will come close to be like what you described other than a set of AP2's. You have several year options to choose from, with the earlier models saving the most money on used sets. PX 6.5 are easy to come by in used too. If the primary reason to change irons is purely wear and tear, then why consider anything else?

Unless you're hell bent on getting a brand new set, I would opt for the used AP2. Simple.

Try the Mizuno JPX921 Tours.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Titleist T-100 would be the most similar; if you can hit those well you could even consider 620 cb’s,or perhaps a combo set? Project x wouldn’t be an upcharge in either...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Really hard to beat what Titleist has done with the AP2s and now T100. I would go look at the T100 or T100s. There are several other good options but the T100 is probably the most forgiving head given it's size and profile. The T100s also come with the TT AMT White shafts which are on the heavy end ranging from about 106 to 130 grams throughout the set, so these irons aren't going to be a lightweight.

Obligatory: Go see a fitter.

On 4/1/2021 at 8:52 AM, jaskanski said:

Let's keep it simple - another set of AP2's then?

Nothing will come close to be like what you described other than a set of AP2's. You have several year options to choose from, with the earlier models saving the most money on used sets. PX 6.5 are easy to come by in used too. If the primary reason to change irons is purely wear and tear, then why consider anything else?

Unless you're hell bent on getting a brand new set, I would opt for the used AP2. Simple.

Yes, his write up had me thinking the same... but... one really never knows what could be even better 🤪. There are a handful of AP2-like heads that offer new technology and worth trying.  If I were him, I'd schedule an iron fitting, baseline the current AP2, and let the games begin.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

At least one player around around here, me, went from AP2 to T200.  Maybe someone has read my review, I was one of the lucky ones last Spring.  Now the T200 isn't exactly what the OP described, most importantly that he didn't want a "hollow head".  The T200 IS made with a forged clubface set in a frame with other high-tech stuff included, so it IS kind of hollow, but they've taken pains to equalize performance across the clubface, to eliminate hot spots.  Its slightly larger than the AP2, but not excessively.  Titleist DOES offer a pretty fair number of shafts without upcharge, including Project X.  I agree that the T100 is closer to the AP@, but I'm pretty happy with the clubs I have.  For the OP, it wouldn't hurt you to take a look at these alongside the T100 or T100S.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 5 weeks later...

The T100s looks great.  They are very close to my 716 AP2s.

I hear they will replace the T100s in mid to late Summer, so if you wait you could get the newest equipment or get a deal on end of cycle discounts. 

I would think ordering from Titleist now the wait time to get new irons could be a while unless you get it off the rack. 

In the meantime, you could spend the Summer trying different demos sets over the Summer before ordering your new irons. 

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User