Fitting where to go?

3 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I am assuming that you have been using something other than driver for the 69 drives for your past 8 rounds to average 192y.  I know you have been working on your swing over the winter, and it is looking much better than it did a few months ago.  Even with a 20-year old driver you should be averaging better than that.  Something seems to be keeping you from squaring the club face consistently.  Your focus should be finding out what that is.  While a new fitted driver will help, I fear that you will still not be happy with it.  

I would love to average 213 so I guess I'm worse than a 20 handicap!!  However, you are about even with a 73-year old; makes you feel worse, right?  😂  

see two posts back. Avg driver distance is 227. Definitely having issues squaring the face

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S (Testing Ventus Velocore Black 6x 44.5")

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (Testing Ventus Velocore Blue 8s Hyb)

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (Winter ball :titelist-small: proV1 )

4 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

see two posts back. Avg driver distance is 227. Definitely having issues squaring the face

I have been having ups and downs with squaring the face with my driver as well. What I noticed is that my eyes are playing tricks on me in terms of how i am setup. Because the ball is more forward in the stance with the driver than other clubs, when I look down, the shaft looks like it is straight up and down, which tends to get the face pointing left. To get the shaft vertical with a driver at setup, i have to feel like i have forward shaft lean with the driver (there actually isn't shaft lean, but it looks that way from my POV angle).

i'm not qualified to be giving any instruction of any kind, but i do know it makes my life easier when i setup properly vs. when i do not. not sure if you have the same issue, but check out this video to make sure you have your setup correct.

• Like 4

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I have been having ups and downs with squaring the face with my driver as well. What I noticed is that my eyes are playing tricks on me in terms of how i am setup. Because the ball is more forward in the stance with the driver than other clubs, when I look down, the shaft looks like it is straight up and down, which tends to get the face pointing left. To get the shaft vertical with a driver at setup, i have to feel like i have forward shaft lean with the driver (there actually isn't shaft lean, but it looks that way from my POV angle).

i'm not qualified to be giving any instruction of any kind, but i do know it makes my life easier when i setup properly vs. when i do not. not sure if you have the same issue, but check out this video to make sure you have your setup correct.

Going to give this a try along with a drill I saw from MrShortGame on improving contact

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S (Testing Ventus Velocore Black 6x 44.5")

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (Testing Ventus Velocore Blue 8s Hyb)

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (Winter ball :titelist-small: proV1 )

My suggestion is that you may want to consider:

1. Benching the driver and primarily go with your 2H or 3H off the tee.  The misses should be less wild and have fewer lost balls.  Practice the driver on the range.  Bring it back when it is working better.

2. Review your tee choice.  Judging by your WITB, shaft selection, etc... it appears you have potential for good distance and I'd guess are playing longer tees..  Consider limiting yourself to no longer than 6,000 yards while you are improving your scores.

3. Short game and putting are probably your best way to get scores improved.  Focus most of your practice time here.

If you can keep the ball in play and have a reasonable short game then playing bogey golf is reasonable even if you miss most greens.  If you miss the green, chip on, and 2-putt then that is bogey golf.

I'm a 20 handicap who plays mostly easy courses.  I keep my driver in play, but without much distance at only 210 yard average, and miss a lot of greens.  I can generally get chips on the green and 2-putt.

Lost balls, wasted strokes around the green, and 3-putting are scorecard killers. 

Dave

• Like 1