How Often Do You Replace Your Golf Bag?

Middler

How often everyone chooses to replace clubs has been thoroughly discussed, but how about your bag? I just bought a new bag for functional reasons, first time I’ve replaced a bag (after only 4 years) that wasn’t simply beyond hope. The one before was about 30 years old, it was falling apart. All of my golf buds have bags that look older than they do, even when they buy new clubs they keep the old bag.

Do you replace your bag whenever just because, or when the old one becomes embarrassing?

The warden asked me if I could trade in my old bag as it’s in decent condition? 😆

• Like 6
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

I would say mine gets replaced every 3-4 years. With all the in and out of the car and carrying/pushcart I tens to get the most issues with the stand, straps or zippers fall apart first.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
3W:  Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 2
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50º: Maltby TSW

56º:  Cleveland RTX-2 
60º: Maltby Tour Grind MG
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball

Ball: Snell MTB X
Other: Arccos (first year lets see how it goes)
Handicap: 5.9  -  Best Score: 73 (1 over) Bryan Park - Players Course, Greensboro NC -2020

2020 MGS Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I actually have 3 right now, which one I use depends on if I'm walking or riding. As for replacement, when the bag gets to a point where it is no longer in what I consider "user" condition, you know zippers not working smoothly, holes worn into them, tears on the side or the clubs just don't slide in like they used to then I replace it, Sometimes someone at work is getting started in golf, I'll give them one of my bags to help them out, and it gives me a good excuse to get a new one!!

Chris

• Like 3

Far and Sure......

:ping-small:G410 SFT (10.5 degree)

:ping-small:; G400 SFT (9 degree)

:ping-small:: G20 4W

:callaway-small:       GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small:: G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*                                                         

:odyssey-small:    Dual Force Rossie ll

:bridgestone-small:   e12 Soft

I keep them until they die. Heck, my carry bag is a Ping Mantis and it's still in darn good condition. At 2 1/2 pounds I wish they still made it, I'd surely upgrade to a new one.

Sent from my SM-G988U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 7

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

Normaly I keep them until something breaks, cracks, or rips.  With my current bag this is not the case. I decided its just to big to lug around, especially on business trips. Currently using a Bag Boy Chiller. Love the bag and its features but its just not a great travel bag. Would be great it I lived on a course and had my own cart.

Its no rush but I am looking to go back to a stand bag but with a 14 way top and lighter.  I use midsize grips and the clubs just seem to get tangled with a 5 way top. I'll eventually come across a good deal. No interest in paying $200 for a bag. 

• Like 6

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

I'm not one to replace bags too often. Up until this year I was using the same bag I had when I decided to get back in the game about ten years ago and the main reason I wanted a new one was I wanted a putter well. 

• Like 4

I am on my second bag, got it last year. My other bag had for several years. I’m kind of in a crossroads. Don’t like my TM flex tech and am looking for something that works on the push cart better ( @B.Boston ping looks like it’s probably going to be a winner) but I also just got this last year so I really don’t want to eat money......

• Like 4

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S :odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

My current Ohio bag, a Sun Mountain that's 7 years old needs replacement. The outside looks ok but the liners separating the clubs are torn and a constant source of aggravation pulling out clubs so I'll be getting a new SM when we're back.  I've got a new Bag Boy (cooler bag) for Florida and will keep that one down here. FYI I do prefer the SM C130 to my Bag Boy. 

FYI - no trade-in value for the old bag so it'll be on it's way to Goodwill asap. 

• Like 5

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

If you followed me lately you’d think I need to join Bag-Ho-Annonymous.

But that’s just on the surface. I typically use a bag until it’s worn out or at least 5 years.

The first bag I purchased was an OGIO, my dad is still using it. 5+ years

After that I got a Nike performance Hybrid 14 and replaced that when I wanted to go to less than 14-way. 5 years

Then recently it was:
eBay OGIO - 6 months, warranty
Callaway HL3, warranty
OGIO Fuse 4. Would have kept this but...

#CobraConnect Speedzone Stand Bag

Decided that wasn’t ideal and have since had... 3 bags in my possession but returned them because they didn’t work with my Push Cart well or in the case of the OGIO Woode just had some odd design choices, even if I loved the top.

I’m not happily settled on the PING Traverse and will have this one until it’s worn down!

63838603938__831EBF26-5554-4734-BE0A-313327D7FCBF.jpg
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

I ride em until I start seeing black marks on my shafts from the internal dividers disintegrating. So probably about every 10 years.

• Like 4

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges: :cobra-small: MIM 54* Versatile/60* Widelow

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I was looking for a bag that would work well on a riding cart and a pushcart as I’m almost 50:50, most bags are designed for one or the other. I was going to buy a Ping Traverse as it looked like the best option on paper. Fortunately I went to a GG and put some clubs and a putter in a Traverse in both orientations and set it on a pushcart. Realized I wasn’t going to be happy with the (lack of a separate) putter well, and bought a Ping Pioneer instead - a better solution for me. I hope to keep it until it falls apart. And it has a couple welcome added features (magnetic pocket for balls and rangefinder, and a bigger insulated pocket).

The MGS Most Wanted led me to look at Ping bags BTW.

I had an Ogio Silencer and was perfectly happy with it on a riding cart, not so on a pushcart. And the tracks at the bottom that grip the clubs are overly fussy, just got tired of that feature. Great on paper, not as much in reality. Sad to retire it after only 4 years.

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

Depends on my mood. My bags usually stick around for 2 years give or take. Usually also depends on what clubs I have and how I prefer some sort of consistency between club brand and bag if I’m not using something like a sun mountain 

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I've got the wife convinced that every time you get new irons, you have to get a new bag too.  And I won that argument...precedent set.

I explained to her that when she and I got together and that first night came where she ended up staying over, would she have liked it if I threw her one of my t-shirts to sleep in that my ex-girlfriend had worn?  Same with new irons...they deserve something fresh and unworn.

She didn't like the analogy, but it effectively communicated my point.  And it's a silly point I know, but if I can get some new merchandise I'm going to!

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Driver: TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW:  CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids:  SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter:  ER7B 

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

I got a Cobra Ultralight cart bag 4 years ago and it’s a little faded but all works well, playing 3 or 4 times a week.

Image1617636737.158311.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft 

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

LOL like everything else I have a gillion bags---- Just depends on what I see at the thrifts or Goodwill--- For one reason or the other I will get tired of a bag and cycle it out--- Right now I am using my old school Hoofer I picked up in pristine shape at Goodwill a few years back. Seriously it is the most user friendly bag I own. Love the pocket set ups. The reason I quit using it before was that most of the bag drop attendants around here do not know or give 2 schmitts on how they put the bag on a cart and tend to squeeze the crap out of it. The course I am a member at now the bag drop guys are the owner's sons and he taught them well. Kinda like the old sorta faded out blue with my lead taped banged up Macs in it plus my rusty 588 and Scotty putter. Kinda goes with my sorta casual image. I think the longest I ever used two bags one was my Old Mans last staff bag which was a Tom Watson Red Ram staff. I carried it until it fell apart. One of my Titleist Staff bags I used for darn near 10 years and it is battered but still serviceable. My vintage gear is now in the Jones bag----- Now like I told the guys in the Motocaddy testing the first outings will be all vintage with my Macgregor Green and White Tartan Mini Staff

• Like 5

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel Ust Pro Force 65 R flex--- 9 Wood TM V-Steel Stock TM Stiff---- 1 Iron Ping Eye2 Stock Ping blue label medium---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts-- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore---- Putter Rusty 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft- Bags either Jones Original non stand or Burton Mini Staff non advertising model

First bag was from the Thrift where I started playing golf on Fort Leavenworth (was writing curriculum at the US Army college there), a yellow and black John Daly carry bag that my son now uses.  Went to a Prosimmon cart bag (in my pre-MGS life) that was not as rugged as it needed to be for me, lower grab strap pulled out and bottom of putter tube on the outside had to be fixed, only used 4 seasons.  My current bag Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged (so called because it came equipped with a battery power supply and wired for USB power for keeping electronics going during a round) looks like it is going to be with me for a long time with its durability that has already seen four times the use of the Prosimmon bag and features that just aren't on other bags like the secure Smart Strap System that attaches the bag to a cart with 2 Velcro straps that prevents twisting besides assuring it's not going to fall off a riding golf cart.  I would buy another C130 when this one gives up but I'll be sure to let you know if/when that happens.

2118717328_CazenoviaGC10_21.20208thfairway(3).jpg.42cc83d5f1adf3ccc563b414663c4bdd.jpg

• Like 4

Verified Hack, 30 handicap 🙂  Golfing for exercise and peace of mind.

|> Big Dogs: O'Donnell Triumph hybrids 10-15-19-27, Ginty Trouble Club

|> Blades: First StrikeTM DeliveranceTM 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-P  Spitfire Graphite XL Shafts

|> Flatstick: Pinemeadow Z-ON M1   

|> App: SwingU Looper  

|> Club: CoverLogoS-H c sm.png"The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course"  www.stickandhack.com

⛳.  :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳      🏌️‍♂️         EPLogo sm.jpg      StickHackLogo2021-uai-50x185.png.93cce20f8b531850ac1d2054c3d18cd3.png

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-25.png.11580987b80d9d26da7f04a31eadac9d.png

2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes 1398724741_Inesislogo.jpg.34e215e2c1310a7b31d310ab89f4c188.jpg

I typically get a new bag when the prior one is falling apart so it is generally a pretty big gap between bags. Replaced my bag before last season and the prior bag was purchased probably 10+ years ago.

• Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I bought my 1st bag in 2016; I’m already on to my 3rd. The strap broke on my 1st bag(after 1 season) now it holds all my benched clubs and training aides. My second bag was a carry/stand bag that didn’t really work with my clic gear, so I asked my wife for a new bag for Christmas. She got me a Ping Pioneer cart bag, and it’s the best bag I’ve had so far.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

On 4/5/2021 at 11:18 AM, Getoffmylawn said:

I explained to her that when she and I got together and that first night came where she ended up staying over, would she have liked it if I threw her one of my t-shirts to sleep in that my ex-girlfriend had worn?  Same with new irons...they deserve something fresh and unworn.

Love it!

• Like 2

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel