How Often Do You Replace Your Golf Bag?

Middler

Usually use them until something rips or stops working.  But might get a new one now that I got new sticks.  Usually my bags don't get too beat up since they go from the garage, to the trunk, to the cart and back.  Never walk, unless I must.  Caddied during HS and college, walking the course to me is work, not a time to enjoy.

Driver: Cobra F6

3W: Titleist TSi3

5W: TM RocketBallz -(my favorite club)

Hybrids: Cleveland 2-4

Irons: Callaway Apex DCB 4-PW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMB 52 & 56

Putter: TM Rossa Monte Carlo Mallet 

• 2 months later...

I stick with a bag till it starts to fall apart.  Last month I just picked up my 3rd Ping Hoofer.  The first one I had was the original Hoofer model which I got in high school, replaced that about 12 years later with a new Hoofer.  That lasted 13 years and just got the latest.  Each one has been a real improvement on the previous and the current one is really an amazing bag that was very well thought out with features I wouldn't have even thought I need like the cart strap hole that allows you to access all of the pockets while its on a cart.

• Like 2

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-PW
  • Wedges-  Taylormade Hi Toe 50*, 54* and 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Bag- 2021 Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

Since replacing a golf bag means moving a lot of stuff, 

not to mention incurring a not completely negligible expense,

I can't see why anybody would change them unnecessarily unless they're very fashion conscious. 

[I know someone who has a Louis Vuitton golf bag worth more than most premium golf sets.]

One exception might be when you matriculate from walking age to riding age.

Also some guys like a stand bag just for the practice tee.

My needs are simple.  Conservative solid color. Forward facing cart bag pockets. 

Full-width dividers for every club.  Separate putter well ok but not essential.

Umbrella sleeve. 

That's about it.  They last for several seasons before becoming ratty.

On 8/30/2021 at 3:36 PM, PBH3 said:

I stick with a bag till it starts to fall apart.  Last month I just picked up my 3rd Ping Hoofer.  The first one I had was the original Hoofer model which I got in high school, replaced that about 12 years later with a new Hoofer.  That lasted 13 years and just got the latest.  Each one has been a real improvement on the previous and the current one is really an amazing bag that was very well thought out with features I wouldn't have even thought I need like the cart strap hole that allows you to access all of the pockets while its on a cart.

I currently use a newer Hoofer but I miss the old hoofers that had the retractable strap. Something about that old strap setup allowed the bag to have the most natural hang off the shoulders of all bags I ever used. Plus, those bags were almost bulletproof with the exception of the strap retraction mechanism but that didn't really matter much. 

5 hours ago, Kansas King said:

I currently use a newer Hoofer but I miss the old hoofers that had the retractable strap. Something about that old strap setup allowed the bag to have the most natural hang off the shoulders of all bags I ever used. Plus, those bags were almost bulletproof with the exception of the strap retraction mechanism but that didn't really matter much. 

My old Hoofer was built like a brick shithouse!  The retractable strap was a great idea but never really worked 

• Like 1

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-PW
  • Wedges-  Taylormade Hi Toe 50*, 54* and 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Bag- 2021 Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

1 hour ago, PBH3 said:

My old Hoofer was built like a brick shithouse!  The retractable strap was a great idea but never really worked 

The retractable thing was weird but I have yet to ever put a bag on my shoulders that let the bag had as freely and uniformly. It's hard to describe how I felt about the old straps but in my experience, they were the only ones to not feel like they were bunching up your upper back or shoulders. Almost all straps that I know of today come together beneath the shoulders some where and it seems like it puts tension on the straps that is maybe towards the spine a little and not straight down. I don't hate modern straps or Izzo straps but it just seems like there wasn't anything like the old Ping Hoofer straps. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

PING Traverse that I've had for 5 years. Excellent bag although a tad big for a push cart (OMADA GOLF Trilite). This is the 7th bag I've had since I started golfing at 14 (I still have the first bag..a grey fake leather cart bag) and I'm now 62 so I guess I get a bit of usage out of them. 

Ping G400 Max @ 9 degrees

Ping G400 Stretch 3W

Ping G400 3i Hybrid

Cleveland 2009 launcher 4i Hybrid (also a 2i and 1i not currently in the bag)

Ping G700 5-9, PW, GW, SW (Green Dot and 3/4" length addition)

Ping Glide-3 60 Deg. LW (Green Dot) (also a Glide-2 58 deg LW and Glide 54 Deg SW not in the bag)

All Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize Grips

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11 Putter 35" w/oversize grip

• 1 month later...

Aside from my junior bag I had as a child my in on my 2nd full size bag only replacing my old bag boy because as said before it looked older than I am color faded and sticky zippers and holes torn from moving around so much over the last 20 years. I hope my new one lasts that long but as it’s said nothing is made like it used to be

I honestly don't know.  

I keep two or three balls in my pocket, usually, and I play whichever one I grab at the tee.

They all have the same custom ball number with my name printed rather than a sharpie marking,

so I usually can't tell them apart.

Usually every 3 years, playing 3-4 times @ week all year around.  That said, I got a special deal at Walmart last year…..the Vice cart bag was $270 but I got it for $128.  They were renovating and placed the bags on the wrong rack. I saw it took a pic and went to customer service. They sold me the bag!  Then, about 6 weeks later, SWMBO texted me saying Walmart put one on clearance for $85!  Picked that one up as well.

9DBB37CD-DC4B-4E25-8660-80EAE0E9A533.jpeg

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft

Fairways:  PXG 0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR 3 Hybrid(18*)w/Recoil ES regular shaft

Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 5-PW w/Recoil 660 Regular graphite shafts; soon to be Titleist T300

Wedges: Ben Hogan Tkt-15 (49*/53*/57*) w/Recoil 660 Regular shafts 

Putter: 33”  Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black). 

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

Using Shot Scope V3 and MG4000 Rangefinder

Here’s the one for $85

B7DD992E-2889-40AD-8A33-72C30FC9D539.jpeg

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft

Fairways:  PXG 0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR 3 Hybrid(18*)w/Recoil ES regular shaft

Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 5-PW w/Recoil 660 Regular graphite shafts; soon to be Titleist T300

Wedges: Ben Hogan Tkt-15 (49*/53*/57*) w/Recoil 660 Regular shafts 

Putter: 33”  Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black). 

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

Using Shot Scope V3 and MG4000 Rangefinder

I replaced mine when I transitioned from walking to riding.  Until my bag gets damaged somehow, I cannot foresee replacing it. 

• Bag        1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png     C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg                Epic Flash
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges   635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Huntington Beach  soft 10.5 C

I replace the bag when it gets heavily scuffed-up, and the zippers on the pockets stop working properly.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Diamona S+ LTD Blue-Board 70 R Flex

Ping G410 5 Fairway Wood Mitsubishi Tensi Orange R Flex

Ping G410 4-5-6 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi Blue R Flex

Ping i500 Irons 5-U w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex (power-spec lofts)

Ping 3.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

2021 Ping Fetch Putter/1996 Original Odyssey (not Callaway) Dual Force Rossie Blade

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Mid-Size Grips

Never paid much attention to how often I replace a bag...used to be more frequent when I walked, as the bag got more handling and wear and tear on it.  My most recent bag was won at a raffle about 4-5 years ago (shoot, maybe even more) --- a nice Ping cart bag.  Since I ride now, it doesn't seem to get torn up as much...however, it's getting a bit on the faded side and I've been looking for a new cart bag, but pretty much balking at the prices.  Probably replace it with another Ping cart bag in the next year or two.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at N) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*)-- Mitishibishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 3,4, and 5 -- Fujikura Atmos R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R +1/2 inch 3* up

Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX2  56* and 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge shaft

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball:  Maxfli TourX

Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer 

:Arccos: 

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

It depends on if I like the bag or not.  I bought a Sun Mountain C130 last year. The Bennington QO9 it replaced was 7 years old. Before that I had a Bagboy revolver that I only kept for 2 years.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone Xtreme 9.5*
Mini Driver: :taylormade-small: Oringinal One 13.5*
Fairway: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 4 & 5 Hybrid
Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 6-GW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX2 54* & 58*
Putter: :ping-small: Heppler Fetch
Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

Bags have become, unwittingly, a guilty pleasure of late...I think I have like 10 bags, damn, that's ridiculous... Ho! ☺️

Out of the new crop of lighter stand bags, I really like the 2020/21 Hoofer lite and the Titleist players 4 Plus, light weight plenty of space. Having the large pouch on the clicgear has freed up the need for space on the bag and makes the cart a lot lighter to push.  The passthru strap setup is really nice on the hoofer lite, for push or riding cart.

I will typically find a bag that is a good mix of space and light weight, used to walk and carry but now I use it on a push cart. I had some Titleist Stadry bags for a while but wore them out kinda quick.  Long time Ping Hoofer and J Bag user, still have some of the J bags, I have a set of Pebble, Olympic and Cypress J bags, might sell them at some point...The J Bag I thought was the best combo...If you find them one in decent shape they'll last a long time.

• Like 1

Driver:  Taylormade SIM2 10.5 OG Motore F3 70x with TP 1.5*  tip - 1 notch to lower

3W: Srixon ZX 15*, HZRDUS Smoke Black HandCrafted 6.0 

5W: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 18* TC serial, HZRDUS Yellow  70g

4i: Srixon ZU85 23*, Recoil F4 95S

5i: Srixon ZU85 26*, Recoil F4 95X

6-PW:  Callaway Apex MB 2021, Project X IO 6.0

Wedges: Vokey SM8 Blk 50-08F, SM8 56-08M (55*), Vokey SM8 WedgeWorks 60 T (61*)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5.5, Pistolini Grip

Ball: 2019 Taylormade TP5X (sometimes Pro-V1x left dash)

Bag:  Titleist Players 4 Stadry

Usually a bag is replaced when I can't fix it any longer. Strap, zippers, tears get some tender loving care fixes. The next time it breaks it gets to hold older clubs in the corner of the basement. Then a new one is purchased. However there is a change coming but it is due to wanting to walk more. I have a large bag boy chiller cart bag. Not good for walking and to heavy for a push cart. I'm on the hunt!

• Like 3

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

I’ve replaced mine about every four years. I found this bag on a review about a year ago. Company is NevrLooz. If you wanna get organized and have no bag chatter this is the way to go. I absolutely love this bag. Very clean construction. Zippers are very good quality. Open and close very smooth. Lots of storage. I can’t say enough good things about this bag. Great company with excellent customer service. It’s made where everything else is made these days but the brains comes outta Naples Florida.

D1441E97-2CCE-4DC1-A672-C27D5C536BCF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1