How Often Do You Replace Your Golf Bag?

Middler

I have replaced mine in the last 5 years, but this last bag Sun Moutain C130 is still going strong and I really like it

Love the each individual pockets for the clubs and ton of storage!

• Like 2

Play in SW WA and in the PDX area

About every 5 years

Started playing late in life, but as I got older I found that golf is a much better activity than a lot of things old folks get into, plus I meet some of the nicest most interesting people!

I have the Callaway ORG14 3 years now and only carry 13 clubs and it is destroying my putter grip. There are new bags that have 15 dividers and I will be buying one shortly ! I have mid-sized grips so this is a problem. Anyone suggest a good 15 bag ?

OldGuyGolf

13 years ago I bought a Titleist bag at a golf shop tent sale. It was priced right and maybe it was a year old model and it didn't sell. I snatched it up because it was a great deal as it was pretty inexpensive for a top of the line golf bag, it had great pockets with plenty of room, and it had 5 openings for all the clubs you need. Sadly, the top fabric finally wore out and I had to replace it. Today's bags are made with space-age materials that are light in weight but most have the dedicated club openings on top which I don't like and the storage pockets just aren't placed in the right manner as my old Titleist bag. My new bag is exactly that, new, but I'd take my old Titleist bag back in a heartbeat if it could be repaired. In the grand scheme of things I'm just thankful to be playing such a great sport.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 4:31 PM, jebhorton said:

I carry my bag and wear them out in about 6 months - so that ends up as my general replacement rate. Though i did manage to go through three last year.

How often do you play and what kind of bags are you buying that wear out in 6 months?

• Hmmm 1

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Taylormade Hi Toe 54* & 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

I have two bags. Staff bag when I ride in a cart and a carry/stand bag when i walk.  Since I walk more than ride I tend to buy a new strap every couple of years.  I also make sure when i walk that I don't have have more than 6 balls and clubs as the weight is what has caused straps to break.

• Like 1

No gimme's, No breakfast balls!  Let's play!

On 2/25/2022 at 7:50 PM, vagabon68 said:

I changed mine out when my wife tells me I’m not allowed outside with that bag anymore

I like the screen name vagabon. That describes me to a tee. and believe it or not I have a Vagabon brand carry bag. Really light and roomy for what it is. Now if I used it on a cart it would tear up in the drop of a hat because it is designed as a light carry bag

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 1

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

On 2/25/2022 at 3:54 PM, ChuckZ said:

When they wear out.  I have four Titleist bags; 2 tour mid size bags ( black/white, black), and one lightweight carry bag that I take when I fly to an event (it fits in my SKB hardcase travel bag) and on new cart 14 bag.  Unfortunatelay, due to health issues can no longer walk and play golf.  Dr say take a cart and have fun.  When I drive to a TT event I take my black mid size bag which also has a Team Titleist Ambassador bad tag on it.  I had a Titleist Folds of Honor Tour bag but it has a new home in N Carolina with a retired marine major friend of mine.     IMG_5343.JPG

Titleist Travel Bag and case.jpg

I still have 2 of my Titleist Mini Staff bags from my mini tour days--- One is beat to crap and the other one is nearly new. They are an older generation from yours by quite a few years. I actually like the not beat up one. But in recent years I use my old Hoofer due to my back injury and our range and short game area versus the parking lot are quite spread out. Plus and this is just me I like keeping a low profile these days. I only had a ball deal through our golf shop and played what clubs I wanted to. Now I somewhat got a kick out of the tourists looking surprised when checking out my bag. I think they suspected a set of new shiny 690 MBs or something but they got a look at banged up rusty lead taped Macgregors and rusty banged up 588s. LOL they look depressed. But seriously my old Mini staff is the most user friendly when using on a cart it is set up well. But like you I am not able to walk. But even though the Hoofer is small it sets up well for me for my practice and cart use, Besides I do not carry much stuff anyhow.  

• Like 1

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

On 2/25/2022 at 2:47 PM, labillyboy said:

I've never worn a bag out.  I tend to buy a new, matching staff bag whenever I buy a new set of irons.  I get new irons about every 3-4 years, so I have a garage full of nice staff bags and matching irons.  I do have a couple carry bags that don't get much use, normally use them when travelling or when going to a club that has caddies (they appreciate it).  I bet I have 20 like new bags in my garage... 

Sounds like me but my stuff is vintage Ryder Cup bags and older (read heavy) Miller or Burton staff bags

I've recently been looking to upgrade my bag.  I bought mine back in 2017 Sun Mountain C130.  It's still in great shape, but there's an Orange and Grey C130 one that just has me giddy with anticipation.  (that and i'm just bored, and want something new)  i'm trying to convince my wife that i should get new wedges too.  Wish me luck!

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid 18.5

Titleist 816 H1 23

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I’ve been golfing for 8 years and am on my 3rd bag. I gave my first bag to my dad when I got a new one and my 2nd bag is still my travel bag. That being said, I have no reason to upgrade or change but I think I might buy a new bag this year haha. Too many that look nice and I like new things   

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST 9 💎💎💎 Ventus Black TR 6X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Driving Iron: New Level NLU-01 Ventus Black 10TX 

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex TCB 5-AW X100 :titelist-small: T100 4 iron X100

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 54.12 X100 & 60.08 Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

Sorta off topic but not---- Practiced today and afterwards my bud and I were having lunch on the patio by the putting green. I had the old Hoofer sitting there. One of the prim proper Tourist golfers made a comment to his bud " Man that is an old Hoofer" My bud who likes to harp on the tourons as much as I do shot back quick " You think the bag is old you ought to look at the clubs inside" One of them asked " you playing those?" My bud said "nope but he is (pointing to me) ya want to play for money?" The guy left kinda quickly. Yeah the old Hoofer is still holding up I do lube the real metal zippers with WD 40 about every week. Yeah best $5 I ever spent. What made the whole incident really funny is my bud (who is a permanent part of my shootout team now) Is darn near 80 yoa and not only is he a good stick but he is darn quick on a comeback too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/28/2022 at 4:32 PM, BIG STU said:

Sorta off topic but not---- Practiced today and afterwards my bud and I were having lunch on the patio by the putting green. I had the old Hoofer sitting there. One of the prim proper Tourist golfers made a comment to his bud " Man that is an old Hoofer" My bud who likes to harp on the tourons as much as I do shot back quick " You think the bag is old you ought to look at the clubs inside" One of them asked " you playing those?" My bud said "nope but he is (pointing to me) ya want to play for money?" The guy left kinda quickly. Yeah the old Hoofer is still holding up I do lube the real metal zippers with WD 40 about every week. Yeah best $5 I ever spent. What made the whole incident really funny is my bud (who is a permanent part of my shootout team now) Is darn near 80 yoa and not only is he a good stick but he is darn quick on a comeback too.

This makes me want to go buy a hoofer and have a similar story in 15 years haha. Maybe it would be one of my last bags ever. They just seem to hold up better than other brands. 

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST 9 💎💎💎 Ventus Black TR 6X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Driving Iron: New Level NLU-01 Ventus Black 10TX 

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex TCB 5-AW X100 :titelist-small: T100 4 iron X100

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 54.12 X100 & 60.08 Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

On 3/29/2022 at 7:47 PM, LeftyMatt89 said:

This makes me want to go buy a hoofer and have a similar story in 15 years haha. Maybe it would be one of my last bags ever. They just seem to hold up better than other brands. 

I kinda remind myself of an older guy I once knew and unlike reminding myself of my old man this one is good.

I knew this guy for years growing up and I would say he is more than likely in his 80s now. He played a set of FC-4000s forever and had some sets in reserve. Putted with a beat to crap Ironmaster. About 10 years ago now I was visiting up in Charlotte ( my home town). My bud and I were going to play a public course there. Up at this old school club house on the porch sat a raggety Spalding canvas carry bag with a well worn set of FC-4000s. LOL I knew who it was and I set my VIPs beside it. At the time had them in my travel bag which was a Cleveland Stand bag. I looked for him in the club house but found him outside. We got a laugh especially when I told him I knew whose bag that was. He told me he had a stinking suspicion of who owned the VIPs. Now he had went to metal woods because he said at his age he was giving up too much with the persimmon. I know back in the day he was a stick but never took things too seriously. He did not play with the big gamblers but played with the local Wednesday afternoon crowd and the Weekend Warriors. I remember one year in the City AM he shot 67 63 and walked away with the title. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

My bag is 8 years old and I am looking for a new one.  I ride most of the time but try to walk 1 to 2 times a week with a push cart.  Cant make up my mind which bag to buy. 

Ping G400 Max driver | Ping G410 3 & 5 fairway woods | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7 wood | Titleist 818 H1 5 hybrid | Titleist T300 6-GW | Titleist SM9 52F & 56S wedges | Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid putter | Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro | Titleist Pro V1 yellow or Srixon Q-STAR TOUR V4 yellow ball | GHIN hcp floats between 10 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1: :srixon-small:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

• 1 month later...

I still have a Sun Mountain four5 stand bag from from 2013.  Carried this bag for 6 years and still like new.

Now use a C130 with a year of use.  Hope it will last as long as the four5.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3