TESTERS WANTED! ×

Vice Tour

I found a Vice Tour while playing last week and put it in play this past Monday.  After the first nine, my two playing partners peeled out and I went solo the rest of the way.  I opted to put a second ball in play - that being a Snell MTB.  The Tour played equally as well tee to green.  On a couple of holes, I walked back down the fairway and hit a couple more approach shots from 60 yards.  Again, they were very comparable.

Not sure how many shots the ball had seen prior to my finding it but it looked near new after I finished the round. It had a nice quality alignment mark. I initially thought this was a higher end, expensive ball but now see they are more of a mid/low end price.  I get the impression from some posts in the MGS Ball Lab discussions that Vice really just a marketing company and just re-labels product made by third parties?  I also see that the "Pro" is also a 3 piece design but urethane cover at a bit higher price.  It's odd they call the lower end ball "Tour".

The Vice "find your ball" tool suggests the "Pro" for me.

VICE Golf | Balls | Tour | White

Anyway, whose has or is playing the Tour balls and what are your thoughts about them? 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Can't tell you about the Tour, but I've been playing the Pro for the last 2-3 years and it does what I need it to. Here in Europe they are priced a little lower than the Snell's, but still about 40-50% cheaper than the big boys.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Vice was my introduction to the DTC ball market. I played the Pro Plus for a season (5 for 125) and was underwhelmed. 

I know more now following the MGS ball tests but the biggest issue I had was durability and consistency. They were very mediocre and now that I know where they’re sourced it all makes sense. 

I would put Snell and OnCore on a higher tier when it comes to DTC balls. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I found a Vice Tour while playing last week and put it in play this past Monday.  After the first nine, my two playing partners peeled out and I went solo the rest of the way.  I opted to put a second ball in play - that being a Snell MTB.  The Tour played equally as well tee to green.  On a couple of holes, I walked back down the fairway and hit a couple more approach shots from 60 yards.  Again, they were very comparable.
Not sure how many shots the ball had seen prior to my finding it but it looked near new after I finished the round. It had a nice quality alignment mark. I initially thought this was a higher end, expensive ball but now see they are more of a mid/low end price.  I get the impression from some posts in the MGS Ball Lab discussions that Vice really just a marketing company and just re-labels product made by third parties?  I also see that the "Pro" is also a 3 piece design but urethane cover at a bit higher price.  It's odd they call the lower end ball "Tour".
Anyway, whose has or is playing the Tour balls and what are your thoughts about them? 
I have played the Pro. Absolutely loved the feel. But did not get performance i get from Snell MTB and no durability. I remember thinking if this ball (Vice Pro) was a little better on my approach shots and had a cover that did not mark up as much I would have gamed it over my Snell or Pro V1 at the time.... That was a few seasons ago. Friend of mine plays it today and raves about it. Might have to revisit.

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I bought the 5 dozen package Pro Plus Neon's last year and played thru 2 dozen. The ball had excellent ball flight always getting up and short shots (under 100yds) always gave me good stopping power on the greens. They are good balls...do they compare with Z-Stars or pro V1s (my other go-tos)...no way but for the price, I cannot complain. 

Also regarding Vice, I see that Walmart now sells them or at least the Walmart's in NW PA. They had all flavors of the balls when I was there last week.

Ping G400 Max @ 9 degrees

Ping G400 Stretch 3W

Ping G400 3i Hybrid

Cleveland 2009 launcher 4i Hybrid (also a 2i and 1i not currently in the bag)

Ping G700 5-9, PW, GW, SW (Green Dot and 3/4" length addition)

Ping Glide-3 60 Deg. LW (Green Dot) (also a Glide-2 58 deg LW and Glide 54 Deg SW not in the bag)

All Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize Grips

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11 Putter 35" w/oversize grip

I liked the Pro+ when I tried a dozen but nothing stood out with them. I thought they seemed a little lower spinning off the irons as they seemed to fly a little higher and not hold greens quite as well but we are talking about very small differences. I didn't have any durability issues. I thought the Snells performed better so I went back to them but now I'm playing the Spalding Tour balls from Walmart (because cheap) and I must say they play very similar to the Pro+ but cost $15 - $25 depending on your local Walmart. 

Overall, I wouldn't discourage someone from playing Vice balls but there are somewhat cheaper and better performing balls on the market for the golf enthusiast.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the Pro+ a couple season ago. They didn't seem to spin as much as I'd like on partial approaches and around the green, and didn't offer an advantage anywhere with the exception of price. Then I had one crack on a Par 3, 145 yard PW during a tournament round I was done. 

image.png.258d22fcc4d0d25f5fdb8eea25fcd23f.png B21 9.5* w/ PX Evenflow Black 6.5

:ping-small: G410 SFT 16* 3-wood w/ PX Evenflow Black 6.5

image.png.de7870be9e5ebe2ff26fab3151edb989.png Stealth DHY 2i w/ Aldila Ascent Black Stiff

:srixon-small: z585 4-AW w/ Modus3 120x

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56.12 & 60.10 w/ Modus3 125w

image.png.a2a25073d1a41c5de1690a6254814da3.png Super Select Newport Plus -or- :odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1WS w/ Stroke Lab 

image.png.d2e91492049dce3981a9fad088921b12.png ProV1

I have 5 dozen in storage thanks to Santa clause, I've used them in the past, they're decent balls. For the price they are on par, great off the driver for distance, but not as high spin for wedge shots into the greens

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 7:11 PM, RollingGreens said:

I have 5 dozen in storage thanks to Santa clause, I've used them in the past, they're decent balls. For the price they are on par, great off the driver for distance, but not as high spin for wedge shots into the greens

I agree with this.  I played the Vice Tour last year.  Found it really nice off the tee, got some good distance.  But started to see problems with sticking the greens  when hitting 8 iron and above.  Overall though, for the price I thought they were excellent value.  I will probably end up buying some more once they have another "Free Shipping" sale.

Chiller Cart Bag

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 9° - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: Sim Max Rocket 3wd 14° - HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Max Rescue 4H 22° - Ventus Blue 7S

:cobra-small: King Forged Tec 2020 - 5 thru PW - Dynamic Gold S400

:cleveland-small: CBX 2 54° Wedge

:cleveland-small: Smart Sole 3 Sand Wedge 58°

Bat Attack Battle Ready Putter 34"

:Arccos: Tracking

On 4/4/2021 at 3:14 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Ive played the Vico Tour in the past and found it to be a good ball.  For anyone who says that Vice is just a marketing company who uses a 3rd party to produce their balls; how is that any different from what Snell, Cut or any of the other DTC companies do?

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

14 minutes ago, ZenGolfer said:

Ive played the Vico Tour in the past and found it to be a good ball.  For anyone who says that Vice is just a marketing company who uses a 3rd party to produce their balls; how is that any different from what Snell, Cut or any of the other DTC companies do?

Snell is owned by Dean Snell. Dean is the inventor of the ProV1 and had his hand in some of the best golf balls Titleist and Taylormade ever produced. He actually owns the patents. He actually designs the Snell balls.

But, Vice, and other DTC companies just license generic designs that are made by large 3rd party ball manufacturing plants and sold to various DTC companies with their respective logos on them.  There is no R&D or innovation there

35 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Snell is owned by Dean Snell. Dean is the inventor of the ProV1 and had his hand in some of the best golf balls Titleist and Taylormade ever produced. He actually owns the patents. He actually designs the Snell balls.

But, Vice, and other DTC companies just license generic designs that are made by large 3rd party ball manufacturing plants and sold to various DTC companies with their respective logos on them.  There is no R&D or innovation there

But are they putting their logo on a 3rd party ball that does have R&D and innovation?  I really don't care if they are on Walmart shelves or the Pebble Beach pro shop; just wanting to know if they are a good quality, performing ball, at a competitive price. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 5/6/2021 at 8:45 PM, Keeper905 said:

I agree with this.  I played the Vice Tour last year.  Found it really nice off the tee, got some good distance.  But started to see problems with sticking the greens  when hitting 8 iron and above.  Overall though, for the price I thought they were excellent value.  I will probably end up buying some more once they have another "Free Shipping" sale.

I think you should be moving up to Vice Pro or Pro+

Their Tour model is a 3pc surlyn ball, not exactly made for spin.

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

6 hours ago, Kanoito said:

I think you should be moving up to Vice Pro or Pro+

Their Tour model is a 3pc surlyn ball, not exactly made for spin.

Funny you say this.  I was planning this year to look at the Pro+ instead.  One of the main reasons being exactly this spin issue.

Still going to wait for some type of sale though.  I have enough balls to last me for quite some time.

Chiller Cart Bag

3 hours ago, Keeper905 said:

Funny you say this.  I was planning this year to look at the Pro+ instead.  One of the main reasons being exactly this spin issue.

Still going to wait for some type of sale though.  I have enough balls to last me for quite some time.

FWIW, I prefer the Pro over the Pro+

It gives me more distance. People knock on durability, but I honestly haven't had any issues. Some balls holding up 36 holes without scuffs.

Been my ball of choice for the past 3 years since I can get them dirt cheap lol

I don't want to intrude on someone elses' post.  But I looked and the Vice balls are in the 20-30 dollar range it seemed.  Are they supposed to be better in some way than, Bridgestones, Maxfli's, or Wilson balls in the same price range(which I use by the way)?  Just a little curious about the buzz surrounding them, I've never tried them

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

2 hours ago, stuka44 said:

I don't want to intrude on someone elses' post.  But I looked and the Vice balls are in the 20-30 dollar range it seemed.  Are they supposed to be better in some way than, Bridgestones, Maxfli's, or Wilson balls in the same price range(which I use by the way)?  Just a little curious about the buzz surrounding them, I've never tried them

It's a matter of perspective.

On paper, they should have similar specs to your usual tour level balls (3 or 4 piece urethane) that go for more twice the price when not on sale.

The reasoning behind it: DTC model and having no R&D, patents, etc.

In reality, MGS has uncovered some QC issues (same as Callaway, Srixon, etc.) and some people also complain about durability.

Personally, I don't care if they have patents/R&D. My game definitely can't tell the difference if there are any QC issues and after 3 years of using this ball, I have no complaints regarding durability. So for that price, it's my best option.

But please note, I don't live in the US, so other options as Snell or buy 2 dozen get 1 free are basically non-existent.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 2:40 PM, Kanoito said:

FWIW, I prefer the Pro over the Pro+

It gives me more distance. People knock on durability, but I honestly haven't had any issues. Some balls holding up 36 holes without scuffs.

Been my ball of choice for the past 3 years since I can get them dirt cheap lol

Mmmm.  Good to know.  Maybe I'll look into it a bit more and see about the Pro.

Maybe time for a personal head to head comparison!

Chiller Cart Bag