Rypstick Speed Training

I have been using the PRGR monitor for basic data. Low cost comparatively and easy to use without a ball. Would love something that provides more data points, but waiting for the right option/price knowing the proof is on the course...not the range. 

• Like 3

I’m going to join you all.  The Rypstick is due to arrive tomorrow, but I’ve already gotten my swing analysis back (I’ll be working on the casting drill as well as protocol one) and have exchanged emails with Sarah about setting up the fitness evaluation.  Ive known I let my left arm break/bend for years. I always thought it was just an engrained bad habit. Luke says it’s a strength issue, so I’m anxious to see what they come up with for me.  

Im not going to sink additional money into a second radar, I’ll just make the Mevo+ work by taking some baselines every week, not during the practice.   I’ll be starting out at 90mph driver speed, and see where we go. 

• Like 1

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

On 4/14/2021 at 9:43 AM, jlukes said:

I had my fitness assessment with Sarah yesterday and it went very well.  We had a zoom call and she had me perform about a dozen different movements ranging from shoulder and hip turns to squats and arm/wrist rotations.  Sarah watch and evaluated every movement and committed to giving me a full writeup in the next few days with some recommended exercises to help in my weaker areas.

The initial feedback is that my physical status is good, but there can be some motor learning to help me gain better hip and upper body separation.  Sarah will be providing me with some exercises to enhance this area.

Looking forward to getting the full writeup in the next day or two.

In terms of the Rypstick itself, it is fantastic - I absolutely love just having one stick.  It is quick and easy to put weights in and out.  The drills are nothing crazy new for those that have done Speed Stick training before - a lot of the same concepts.  Just 10 minutes every other day is a piece of cake. 

I had a fitness assessment once. They immediately called the funeral home. Seriously though, I started the Superspeed system last year and injured my upper back. I plan to start again, but SLOWLY. 

• Like 2

14 of the following:

Ping G400 Max

Cobra King F9 Speedback 3 wood

Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Taylormade M4 5 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Max 6-GW

PXG 0211 5-GW

PXG 0211 sand wedge bent to 53 degrees

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

4 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

I had a fitness assessment once. They immediately called the funeral home. Seriously though, I started the Superspeed system last year and injured my upper back. I plan to start again, but SLOWLY. 

Yeah I’m really using this as a maintenance tool to keep my swing up. Not stressing myself to get certain gains. Only using it two or 3 times a week and then as a warm up at the range and before I tee off 

• Like 1

CC5 sig.png

How’s the training coming along??? This a system that I’m very interested in. 

• Like 1

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2 9*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19*

Irons: :ping-small:  G425 (5-PW)

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 54* & 58*

Putter: :ping-small:  Heppler Anser 2

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 & :Snell: MTB-Black

Rypstick arrived Tuesday (yesterday) and I did my first set of Protocol One and the Casting Protocol.

Did my fitness assessment Wednesday (tonight).  Sarah very good about arranging a time for the zoom call - 8:15 this evening to work around my crazy work schedule.  It would appear it is a TPI driven assessment and plan.  I'd had one a looong time ago and we were doing some of the same tests - only via video.  I travel all the time, so don't want to be tied to a weights etc, and she said she'd take that into account, though suggested some resistance bands should fit in my suitcase (true).  We settled on 3x a week for 30-45 minutes.  I figure I can alternate days with the Rypstick.  To make it fit in my schedule I'll be cutting back on my elliptical time.  We talked about other exercises I do, what physical limitations I may have (torn meniscus etc).  We finished up the assessment and she said she'd have my plan back to me by end of Friday.  

I'm going to sign up for their 3 month fitness plan.  I've invested $50 a month in worse things to improve my golf game. I took up yoga on my own to improve my mobility and flexibility for golf - might as well do some sort of fitness plan that is golf specific.   I'm anxious to see what she puts together. 

(5/1 89.9mph)

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts

On 5/3/2021 at 2:08 PM, Hook DeLoft said:

injured my upper back. I plan to start again, but SLOWLY

Was it a particular drill? Happen in an instant? Or a progressive issue?

15 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Was it a particular drill? Happen in an instant? Or a progressive issue?

Just started hurting one day.  It is possible it was from doing pull ups, but I had to stop the Super Speed training.

14 of the following:

Ping G400 Max

Cobra King F9 Speedback 3 wood

Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Taylormade M4 5 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Max 6-GW

PXG 0211 5-GW

PXG 0211 sand wedge bent to 53 degrees

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

On 5/5/2021 at 6:36 AM, mikeanthony said:

How’s the training coming along??? This a system that I’m very interested in. 

I just finished workout No. 8 of 12 in the first phase yesterday. Like @jlukes I'm less concerned about speed increases at this current moment and more shooting to maintain what I already have. A few rounds ago I had three drives of 285+ so it seems to be doing the job, so far.

It has been very nice to consolidate the three sticks into one, and I really like the volume of the Rypstick protocols so far. It's enough volume to be a workout, but not so much that I won't want to continue it as I get further into summertime. I basically quit on SuperSpeed once I got to the third protocols. I couldn't keep up the volume without being completely exhausted.

No weights/one weight/two weights seem to correspond pretty well to the green/blue/red SuperSpeed clubs in regards to the numbers I see on the radar. I seem to be a little bit faster with the Rypstick but that could just be the radar picking up different points on different sticks. I haven't actually weighed the Rypstick to compare, I should do that though.

I still haven't scheduled my fitness assessment, I am going to make a point to do that soon. 

• Like 4

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 8.5 / Anti-Cap: 14.4 (Last Updated Sept. 19, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F5
5-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (5-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

So how does this compare to the max swing speed trainer?

https://www.maxswingspeed.com/

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S [back up and on life support Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5" ]

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in proV1 at some point)

:Arccos:

49 minutes ago, edingc said:

I just finished workout No. 8 of 12 in the first phase yesterday. Like @jlukes I'm less concerned about speed increases at this current moment and more shooting to maintain what I already have. A few rounds ago I had three drives of 285+ so it seems to be doing the job, so far.

It has been very nice to consolidate the three sticks into one, and I really like the volume of the Rypstick protocols so far. It's enough volume to be a workout, but not so much that I won't want to continue it as I get further into summertime. I basically quit on SuperSpeed once I got to the third protocols. I couldn't keep up the volume without being completely exhausted.

No weights/one weight/two weights seem to correspond pretty well to the green/blue/red SuperSpeed clubs in regards to the numbers I see on the radar. I seem to be a little bit faster with the Rypstick but that could just be the radar picking up different points on different sticks. I haven't actually weighed the Rypstick to compare, I should do that though.

I still haven't scheduled my fitness assessment, I am going to make a point to do that soon. 

Similar boat for me. Not necessarily chasing additional speed right now, but undoubtedly it will come as a result of continuing to progress through the levels. I've continued with 3 times per week and feel the ball is jumping off the face more than typical throughout my bag. An unadvertised benefit is improved/solid ball striking. Swinging fast promotes swinging through the ball, which benefits all clubs in the bag. Now just need to club correctly for the additional speed and distance. Lots of sub-70 rounds in my future with some help from RypStick!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

So how does this compare to the max swing speed trainer?

Haven't actually seen the MaxSwing - but looking at their web site the similarity is that its one stick/club, and you can vary the weights.  Max has 5 weights, and RYP has three.  A difference, the RYP also has a counter balance weight in the butt end of the club, no such weight in the Max.   Looking at just the first protocol the RYP has three swings between weight changes, the Max has two - so you have more steps between max weights.  The Max has a 100 gram difference between fully loaded and empty, the Ryp has a difference of 90 grams if its just the head weights, and 160 grams if you include the counter weight. The Ryp comes in 5 different lengths, it appears the Max comes in just one.

The science behind all these speed trainers is essentially the same. The stick is the tool.  Its how you do that training with the tool. To that end, you have to give the Ryp major points for doing an assessment of what you can physically do, what you need help with and then develop an individualized exercise routine to maximize it.

So to that end the difference may be the protocols or training they set up for you to use with the tool. I'm not doing a deep dive there - I've already committed to the Ryp protocols.  I did notice - couldn't help it - that some things look familiar like swinging on your knees, a step swing.  I like that Ryp has some swing correction protocols as well - I did not see that on the Max web site. The Ryp also includes a swing analysis and fitness analysis - not on the Max.  That may be why the Ryp is more expensive

The cost differential  may also be in the quality of the product, development and production.  The Ryp's mechanism for adding and subtracting weight is pretty slick, but its is probably more expensive to develop, mold, and build than the Max' screw in  20 gram components.  Not a judgment, as I haven't seen the Max - but I'm just a guess on the difficulty to manufacture.  

Just my observations from afar

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really loving the Rypstick as a quick tool to loosen up a bit before the round. Much more convenient than carrying multiple sticks in that regard, and I also prefer it to my SKLZ Gold Flex stick that is more geared toward tempo than speed/loosening up.

I'm just about done with the first 12 workout set. Truth be told, I haven't really been tracking (I do use the radar) and I'm not even positive I haven't already completed my 12th workout. Again, my goal was to keep my speed up and not necessarily add.

I am starting to see the effects of speed training throughout the bag, however. During this morning's round Arccos measured two tee shots with my 4 hybrid (which I treat like a 5/6 wood) at 250 and 259 yards. I also notched a 169 yard 9 iron, and on No. 17 needing a little cut against a 10 MPH wind, I landed another 9 iron around 160 right where I was aimed.

The stick has held up really well, and the mechanism is solid. It is really simple to change the weights. The workouts are just the right amount of swings. I still hate the knee swings, but overall I am beginning to understand how they improve speed and the swing.

• Like 2

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 8.5 / Anti-Cap: 14.4 (Last Updated Sept. 19, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F5
5-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (5-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I began thinking about this again this morning on the drive into work.  Having gotten some info from @jlukes on it, I feel pretty versed.  I guess it's all about making the commitment to doing the work.  As Phil said, you just have to work harder at this point to keep up.  

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

1 minute ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I began thinking about this again this morning on the drive into work.  Having gotten some info from @jlukes on it, I feel pretty versed.  I guess it's all about making the commitment to doing the work.  As Phil said, you just have to work harder at this point to keep up.  

What you put in is what you get out. Could I be training  more frequently and more aggressively to see bigger gains? Probably. But for me it’s more about maintenance with any small gains being a nice bonus

• Like 3

CC5 sig.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thought it’d be good to check in again as I woke up to an email from Sarah with Rypstick’s this morning checking in to see how I was doing with the TPI exercise regimen she prescribed for me. I grumbled a bit about jack knife sit ups... but everything is going ok. I’m more likely to miss a work out than a rypstick protocol. 

speaking of the protocol - because I don’t use a speed measuring device when I use the rypstick, I can only use my Mevo+ when I hit an actual ball, my measurements are only when I practice. 

today my average club head speed was 96.1 mph. On April 27 it was 89.1 mph. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Thought it’d be good to check in again as I woke up to an email from Sarah with Rypstick’s this morning checking in to see how I was doing with the TPI exercise regimen she prescribed for me. I grumbled a bit about jack knife sit ups... but everything is going ok. I’m more likely to miss a work out than a rypstick protocol. 

speaking of the protocol - because I don’t use a speed measuring device when I use the rypstick, I can only use my Mevo+ when I hit an actual ball, my measurements are only when I practice. 

today my average club head speed was 96.1 mph. On April 27 it was 89.1 mph. 

Just out of curiosity,  what types of exercises did she prescribe to you?

Taylormade SIM 9° set at 7.5°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1/2", 11g backweight, 10g adjustable weight, D5, 45 7/8", PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13° Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1 1/2" 43", D4, Maltby KE4 FDI 19° (bent to 17°)Modus 120S 3 iron shaft, D4,Snake Eyes quick strike tour 18° hybrid, Xcaliber T6* TS untipped (soft stepped)

Maltby KE4 tour hybrid, 22°, kuro kage black shaft X 

Maltby TS-1 irons, DG X100 Sensicore, D4, 2° flat, 4-PW

Maltby TSW wedges,  DG X100 Sensicore,  50°, 54°, 58°, 2° flat

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong

Tp5x pix

14 hours ago, jtgavigan said:

Just out of curiosity,  what types of exercises did she prescribe to you?

First she did an assessment - a series of mobility and flexibility tests. Then we talked, and I committed to three 30-45 minute sessions a week, but with no equipment.  I said that it has to be stuff I can do in my hotel room or basement. The only equipment I always have access to is a golf club - so that’s what it calls for.  It’s all TPI based on their web site. She set me up w a calendar so Monday is “lower body”, Wednesday is “upper body” and Friday is “power”.  It can be things like torso turns on one leg, clam shells, disassociation planks, A frame stretch, a series of plank rotations, lunge routines, shoulder rotations, T rotation push ups, A skips, split lunge rotations, burpees, and my favorite - jack knife sit ups. Each day has about ten different sequences, and each day is different. Most are three sets of 8-12 actions.  Some are exercise that gets my pulse up, some are stretches. She has changed it a bit, and will make some changes for this month too. The TPI web site has you log in and you can watch a thirty second video for each activity and she has how many you are supposed to do per set and how many sets. 

Thanks. 🙂

Taylormade SIM 9° set at 7.5°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1/2", 11g backweight, 10g adjustable weight, D5, 45 7/8", PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13° Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1 1/2" 43", D4, Maltby KE4 FDI 19° (bent to 17°)Modus 120S 3 iron shaft, D4,Snake Eyes quick strike tour 18° hybrid, Xcaliber T6* TS untipped (soft stepped)

Maltby KE4 tour hybrid, 22°, kuro kage black shaft X 

Maltby TS-1 irons, DG X100 Sensicore, D4, 2° flat, 4-PW

Maltby TSW wedges,  DG X100 Sensicore,  50°, 54°, 58°, 2° flat

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong

Tp5x pix

Anyone with a Rypstick also have an alignment stick cover? Curious If one would fit over the top so I can keep it in my bag and have the cover on top to prevent accidental knocking on clubheads

CC5 sig.png