2021 Official Review: Motocaddy M5 and M7

4 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Like you said I found the M-7 to wander some what little bit I had it on the course. I kinda chalked it up to unever terrain and also kinda like adjusting the Trim Tabs on an airplane. I had played with it enough for a while I got good with the remote. 

... It was always a PIA but every remote cart I owned did the same thing to one degree or another so I figured it just came with the territory. When I ran into MGI at the pga show and they were demonstrating their gyroscope I knew it was a game changer. 

• Like 5

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

Another round with the Motocaddy M7 under the belt. I am starting to get used to it. Some more quirks came to the surface today. Since my course is very hilly and many fairways slope either left or right, you really have to tweak the direction constantly. The Motocaddy wants to follow the slope. The easiest way to deal with it is to keep the cart further out in front of you. I got used to it, but I'm sure it would be easier to use on a flatter course. I did check the alignment in the parking lot area and it tracked straight.

Another thing I found is that the cart creeps if left on any type of slope. The motors don't lock or break when left unattended. It won't roll away,  but it very slowly creeps. I parked the unit at the top of the wet area and by the time I came back from teeing off (and I was by myself) I moved about 10 yards. 

IMG_2046.JPG.a000bff1d87e55f2b0fff3de17d04a2d.JPG

I did manage to tip it over today. It started to rain and I was booking it to the shelter so not to get the electronic wet. Hit a root on a tree and over she went. Luckily it only rained for 10 minutes. 

I wanted to have a little fun if I had a good opportunity. The par five 385 yard hole turned out to be the perfect place. Hope you enjoy!

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

14 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Another round with the Motocaddy M7 under the belt. I am starting to get used to it. Some more quirks came to the surface today. Since my course is very hilly and many fairways slope either left or right, you really have to tweak the direction constantly. The Motocaddy wants to follow the slope. The easiest way to deal with it is to keep the cart further out in front of you. I got used to it, but I'm sure it would be easier to use on a flatter course. I did check the alignment in the parking lot area and it tracked straight.

Another thing I found is that the cart creeps if left on any type of slope. The motors lock or break when left unattended. It won't roll away but it very slowly creeps. I parked the unit at the top of the wet area and by the time I came back from teeing off (and I was by myself) I moved about 10 yards. 

I did manage to tip it over today. It started to rain and I was booking it to the shelter so not to get the electronic wet. Hit a root on a tree and over she went. Luckily it only rained for 10 minutes. 

I wanted to have a little fun if I had a good opportunity. The par five 385 yard hole turned out to be the perfect place. Hope you enjoy!

First off, that's both creative and hilarious! I'm going to have to show my wife because I know she'll love seeing that.

Secondly, great shot! I think that's the easiest eagle putt you can ask for. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Since my course is very hilly and many fairways slope either left or right, you really have to tweak the direction constantly.

... Since no fairways are really flat because they would puddle with rain, they all have at least a little slope in one direction or another. I found all my remote carts wandered on virtually any fairway. And when I say wander, I mean you should be able to point your cart in one direction and not touch your remote until it arrives at your ball. Without a gyroscope I have never found that to be the case and not only did I have to make constant corrections, what is worse is it demanded my attention which kinda defeats the purpose of a remote cart imo. 

... Nice Eagle! 🤗

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

First off, that's both creative and hilarious! I'm going to have to show my wife because I know she'll love seeing that.

Secondly, great shot! I think that's the easiest eagle putt you can ask for. 

I knew you would appreciate it. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... Since no fairways are really flat because they would puddle with rain, they all have at least a little slope in one direction or another. I found all my remote carts wandered on virtually any fairway. And when I say wander, I mean you should be able to point your cart in one direction and not touch your remote until it arrives at your ball. Without a gyroscope I have never found that to be the case and not only did I have to make constant corrections, what is worse is it demanded my attention which kinda defeats the purpose of a remote cart imo. 

... Nice Eagle! 🤗

Thanks on the Eagle. Agreed on fairways not being really flat. But mine can be ridiculous at times. If you don't hit the left quarter of the fairway you will be in the right rough with overhanging trees blocking your approach on many occasion. Some hole the opposite. 

The gyroscope sounds intriguing. I'm sure for a pretty penny. Have you tried a four wheel unit of any brand? Does it track better than a center wheeled unit does? 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I knew you would appreciate it. 

I just showed the video to my wife.

1. She squealed and clapped her hands when the MotoCaddy delivered your putter.

2. Now she wants one. She doesn't play. 

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Thanks on the Eagle. Agreed on fairways not being really flat. But mine can be ridiculous at times. If you don't hit the left quarter of the fairway you will be in the right rough with overhanging trees blocking your approach on many occasion. Some hole the opposite. 

The gyroscope sounds intriguing. I'm sure for a pretty penny. Have you tried a four wheel unit of any brand? Does it track better than a center wheeled unit does? 

... The ZIP with the gyroscope is actually $50 less than the M7. Of course your M7 is $1495 cheaper than the ZIP. 😉  My MGI Quad has 4 wheels and tracks just like the ZIP. I made the change because the ZIP is smaller, lighter and maneuvers better. My Quad 4 wheel reacts very quickly to remote commands and tends to turn too quickly or hesitate a little then zoom in another direction. Not egregiously so, but I find the ZIP easier to control. What is at least a little interesting is the ZIP is really pretty wild when not using the remote as the gyroscope is not activated and I found the M7 much easier to control without a remote. Maybe twice a year I charge the remote and forget to bring it with me so found out the hard way. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Another thing I found is that the cart creeps if left on any type of slope. The motors lock or break when left unattended. It won't roll away but it very slowly creeps. I parked the unit at the top of the wet area and by the time I came back from teeing off (and I was by myself) I moved about 10 yards. 

Ha Ha you just had to turn it over. Edit great eagle too!!! I was laughing so hard I forgot to congratulate you on the eagle. Looks like your clubs set up good with that bag

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 6

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

1 minute ago, BIG STU said:

Ha Ha you just had to turn it over. 

... Every now and then grass will grow over a sprinkler head or drain so it isn't visible from 10 feet away and my remote cart will tip over if it catches it the wrong way. Same for a crack/hole in the pavement on an unfamiliar course.  🤪

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BIG STU said:

Ha Ha you just had to turn it over. 

It's like learning to golf. It takes a while to get things right!  This will take a little getting used to but I'm getting there. I have to get used to doing left and right in reverse when I'm in front of it instead of behind it. 

But today wore my butt out!  Not ideal weather conditions to walk 18.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... Every now and then grass will grow over a sprinkler head or drain so it isn't visible from 10 feet away and my remote cart will tip over if it catches it the wrong way. Same for a crack/hole in the pavement on an unfamiliar course.  🤪

I got the cart path crack today with the front wheel. Kind of tossed it around a bit but it didn't tip. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

It's like learning to golf. It takes a while to get things right!  This will take a little getting used to but I'm getting there. I have to get used to doing left and right in reverse when I'm in front of it instead of behind it. 

... Most tend to get lax once they are very comfortable using the remote. That's when accidents happen. And I still struggle with left right when I am in front and I have been using them for over 25 years! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

On 7/3/2022 at 5:58 PM, chisag said:

.. not only did I have to make constant corrections, what is worse is it demanded my attention which kinda defeats the purpose of a remote cart imo

It seems most electric cart manufacturers that don't already have it, will all integrate some form of "Follow Me" into their models.

• Like 5

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..PXG Gen 5 0311XF (PX EvenFlow Riptide CB 50/5.0)
..Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (UST ProForce V2-HL 5/F3)
..Callaway Epic SuperHybrid 4H (SteelFiber fc65/F2)
..Callaway Big Bertha 5H (Recoil ZT9 460/F3)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT 60/A) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
..EvnRoll ER5 or MLA XDream (..Edel EAS 4.0 on the bench)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

13 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

It seems most electric cart manufacturers that don't already have it, will all integrate some form of "Follow Me" into their models.

There's definitely interest out there for the "Follow Me" cart

• Like 4

Cleveland Launcher XL 10.5 Driver
Cleveland Launcher Xl Halo Hy-wood 18 Degree
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 7- wood
Cleveland Launcher XL Irons 5 - PW 
Cleveland CBX 2 50 & 54 Degree Wedge
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey 
 Dual Force Rossie 1 Broom Stick  Putter 47 inch
Square Strike Wedge aka pocket picker 

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2022 at 7:07 PM, chisag said:

... Most tend to get lax once they are very comfortable using the remote. That's when accidents happen. And I still struggle with left right when I am in front and I have been using them for over 25 years! 🤣

I told Tom when I gave him the Motocaddy that like anything else the more you run it the better you get with it. But I did tell him that like anything else if you got complacent it will jump up and bite you in the butt. I will say this the Motocaddy will get unstable to an extent at high speed. We learned it when I had the great golf cart race between it and a gas EZ GO down our #1 fairway. Had one of the owner's sons driving the gas cart and I was riding shotgun with the remote. LOL had the supplied cart bag with old junky clubs from the cart shed. Think I was going to put any of my prized Macgregors on there on that nutball test? I about turned it over 3 times then and we concluded it was unstable on our course at WFO. I had a lot of fun with that thing in my test. One of the members did ask what became of  R2 D2 ?  I told him it was in the Tennessee hills being wrung out. 

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

54 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I had a lot of fun with that thing in my test. One of the members did ask what became of  R2 D2 ?  I told him it was in the Tennessee hills being wrung out. 

I'm not sure if the unit is getting wrung out or if I'm getting wore out. I'm getting the 18 in which was a step up from 7 holes, then 9 holes then right to 18. But I'll tell you one thing for sure, my calf muscles know what I'm doing! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, ole gray said:

There's definitely interest out there for the "Follow Me" cart

... Probably takes a certain kind of golf course right? The ones I play here in Phoenix all have routing through trees/bushes and uneven terrain. Coming off tee boxes you wind through areas over tiny pebbles and many times can't even use the remote as it is too twisty. Same for the trip between greens and the next tee. The only time I could use a follow function is straight down fairways. But I have been using remote carts for over 25 years so it is second nature to me and just don't think I could ever switch to a follow mode. 

• Like 2

On 7/5/2022 at 12:45 PM, chisag said:

... Probably takes a certain kind of golf course right?

Yeah straight-ish down a clear fairway seems to make the most sense. But hey you know boys will be boys (eg. see Stu cart race post above) and *anything* can happen 🤪🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..PXG Gen 5 0311XF (PX EvenFlow Riptide CB 50/5.0)
..Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (UST ProForce V2-HL 5/F3)
..Callaway Epic SuperHybrid 4H (SteelFiber fc65/F2)
..Callaway Big Bertha 5H (Recoil ZT9 460/F3)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT 60/A) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
..EvnRoll ER5 or MLA XDream (..Edel EAS 4.0 on the bench)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

3 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Yeah straight-ish down a clear fairway seems to make the most sense. But hey you know boys will be boys (eg. see Stu cart race post above) and *anything* can happen 🤪🤣🤣

You got that right in Stu's World anything can happen and more than likely will and 99% of the time it will be a FUBAR situation. But it is always fun

• Haha 3