Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

MOI

therod

I've been on the prowl for a new(er) set of irons. I'm currently gaming a set of Cleveland TA-6s. Yes, they're old, but they work for me. I used to be a low single digit handicap, but kids and a new job have kept me from playing as much as I used to. And I'm ready for some newer sticks. So here's the question. My TA-6s have an MOI of 13.65. The sets I'm looking at have MOIs ranging from 15.03 to 16.27. How much of a difference in terms of forgiveness do you think I would be able to experience? And as a follow-up question, do you think I'd be able to see much difference, referring to the new clubs, would I see between the irons having an MOI of 15.035 vs the irons with an MOI of 16.272? Or will that be much more dependent on the player? Just asking. I know which of the 3 I would choose if I could have any of the 3, but that's likely to be the most expensive of the options. They were listed on the bay last week, and I was the only bidder, and I didn't meet his reserve. So they were re-listed. I'm guessing I still won't meet his reserve since I don't know what his reserve amount is. All we know is what the starting bid is, and yes I bid over the starting amount. But it wasn't enough. Anyway, just looking for thoughts and opinions.

Great questions. MOI in irons is only part of the story. Of course higher MOI should be on average more forgiving and many have given the advice to play the most forgiving iron you can effectively play (considering launch, soon rate, gapping etc.). Alao as your irons get higher lofted the sheer loft on the club and associated spin plays a bigger role in forgiveness hence why many like a combo set of irons. Finally, one thing not to be overlooked with irons is sole width and design since you hit them off the ground normally. A sole that is too far or too thin may contribute to inconsistent shots as well depending on your delivery. All the factors are why it's great to get fit if you can and as with most of golf unfortunately there is no one metric that will react the same for every golfer.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

1 hour ago, therod said:

I've been on the prowl for a new(er) set of irons. I'm currently gaming a set of Cleveland TA-6s. Yes, they're old, but they work for me. I used to be a low single digit handicap, but kids and a new job have kept me from playing as much as I used to. And I'm ready for some newer sticks. So here's the question. My TA-6s have an MOI of 13.65. The sets I'm looking at have MOIs ranging from 15.03 to 16.27. How much of a difference in terms of forgiveness do you think I would be able to experience? And as a follow-up question, do you think I'd be able to see much difference, referring to the new clubs, would I see between the irons having an MOI of 15.035 vs the irons with an MOI of 16.272? Or will that be much more dependent on the player? Just asking. I know which of the 3 I would choose if I could have any of the 3, but that's likely to be the most expensive of the options. They were listed on the bay last week, and I was the only bidder, and I didn't meet his reserve. So they were re-listed. I'm guessing I still won't meet his reserve since I don't know what his reserve amount is. All we know is what the starting bid is, and yes I bid over the starting amount. But it wasn't enough. Anyway, just looking for thoughts and opinions.

Buying solely based on this number and not looking at the shaft that’s in them along with loft, length, lie would be just a guess if they actually work for you.

Buying a set of Cleveland 588 mt could be as good of a guess as buying based solely on moi value or even going to the Srixon z545 irons.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

9 hours ago, therod said:

There will likely be a good amount of difference in terms of forgiveness, but hard to say if they would actually work better. There is so much else that goes into irons that much like the above response its hard to go off soley that number (eg grips, length, loft, lie and more). Hopefully these are in the specs you want or need. Speaking personally I have bought enough sets off ebay in the past and really only 1 was the proper set that worked for me and even those had to be sent to ping to have the lie readjusted. I had a set of JPX EZ forged which were a very good and forgiving set, but between the offset, shape, shaft and grip they really didn't work for me and I ended up turning around and selling them again. 
As stated above, yes more forgiving however doesn't necessarily mean a greater improvement on your current set depending on how they are specd out. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I'm planning on pulling the shafts from my current sticks and putting them in my new sticks. I'm just ready for something new(er) than what I currently use. And I enjoy testing equipment as much as I do playing. I'm not the player I was 10-15 years ago now that I have a wife and kids, so shooting low numbers is no longer the focus. It's just about having fun and enjoying being out on the course.