TESTERS WANTED! ×

ASICS Gel Course Ace

WaffleHouseTour

I’ve been wearing ASICS running shoes for years - my podiatrist put me in their Gel-Kayano style shoes as I overpronate and wear custom orthotics for overpronation.  So I’ve patiently waited for ASICS to come out with a decent golf shoe.  They’ve had golf shoes in the past, but they were always spiked (I’m a walker and prefer spikeless) and looked, well, kinda chunky.  I almost grabbed a pair last year with the Gel-course Glide but water resistant won’t cut it for me - I’m a dew sweeping walker so I need water proof.  So when the new Gel Course Ace came out I knew I needed to give them a try. I waited a bit for the grey/black to be released.  I think it’s a good looking shoe.  It won’t ever be confused with some FJ wingtips... but it is a good looking athletic shoe.  

F9E8D5ED-8151-46D2-B6DB-4571F5CFC94C.jpeg.666da206b735dd772f0a298d6137c66d.jpeg

Size: I wear a 9 1/2 in my ASICS running shoes.  I wear a 9 1/2 in my Inesis golf shoes.  So I ordered a 9 1/2 from ASICS website.  As soon they arrived and I put them on I thought “uh oh”. They feel a bit large. Slid out their insoles and put my custom orthotics in made them better but still felt a bit large. I’ve read other reviews on web sites about them not being true to size (not really sure what is as we are all different) but I thought ok, I’ll order some in a regular 9.  Definitely felt better, or maybe more accurately, felt more correct heel to toe, but the height, bottom of the foot to the top felt too cramped, with the orthotic ‘in.  For those thinking about sizing I wear an orthotic that build up my heel by a 1/4 inch or so, and is thick around the insole.  I was really torn about what to do.  So I put them to a clean test.  Fresh pair of socks and walked on the treadmill for fifteen minutes. My foot felt a bit cramped.  Manageable but cramped.  Changed socks and did the same with the 9 1/2.  Again, felt too big.  Not huge, but bigger.  I decided that walking 18 or 36 my feet would naturally swell abut and I’d be better off with the 9 1/2. What I wish they had was a 9 1/4...E55BD121-48EC-41A6-A162-E21CD1C766E0.jpeg.2f467b639bc38434de4ab3eea89a5052.jpeg

Looks:  they look like a typical pair of ASICS running shoes. One of the things I like about ASICS is how much they breath. They are instantly recognized with that mesh like top over the toe box. These look just like that. But it isn’t mesh at all. 
It has that same look but not feel. I assume that is why these are now water proof - fully enclosed. It looks like they just textured the upper. Not really sure what it’s made of - feels like rubber but it can’t be that simple or basic. 

The sole part looks larger/taller than it actually is.   Unlike an ASICS running shoe, the toe is reinforced and is sturdy all the way around the front end of the shoe.  

Comfort : despite my concerns about size they do feel good and comfortable. Have yet to get them on to the course - but have worn them walking on the treadmill at my hotel for a few miles the last couple of evenings, and just wearing them around the room putting to break them in. No feeling like I need to take them off after the treadmill. 

Waterproof : too early to know yet - I’ll revise/update once I’ve been on course at 6am

Stability/Grip : also too early to know - I’ll update as soon as I get on the course 

one I get a little on course experience I’ll update. I just thought my sizing experience was worth sharing for anyone looking at purchasing online rather than trying on in the store  

88AB0B15-ACA9-473F-BB4A-B54736BC1420.jpeg.ca85abb03faa48de9fe0a9640d43b31d.jpeg

8E9C0224-7D2E-49C9-870A-05347BED1143.jpeg.8073fa650d50f15772673dab66b14f2d.jpeg0B0D2FBD-EB8F-4390-A29D-F3200BE47545.jpeg.fe27310f5432760a1edf35a25106348c.jpeg

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got out for my first round of the year. Walked 18 this morning. Wet shoes, dry feet (too much time in the rough). Very comfortable.  Felt like I could go walk another 18 with no trouble.  No swelling or pinching.  Good traction and stability. 

I think I’ll be ordering another pair in white 

57F2FFE7-5BCD-4634-B2E8-C07E8E837F94.jpeg.56ad2676c37dc6508d7d65016d08e09a.jpeg

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts

• 4 months later...

About a month or so to go in the Iowa season, so I thought I should revisit my original thoughts on the Gel Course Ace. I definitely like the comfort and stability. Walked 18 then rode 18 out at the Prairie Club and CapRock Ranch three days in a row last week and my feet still felt good.  They keep my feet dry, no problems there.  However… 

A9DD5364-3ECA-4EC3-BCF3-A5FE2FC78932.jpeg.793fcda01eb2a7765ca04c101ed6c7f0.jpegThese are no longer going to be my early morning, wet conditions or rain shoes.  The treads fill up with grass to much, hold the clippings and then I have a tendency to slip. I lose traction. And for a guy with bad knees that is a scary feeling. I try to really grip the ground when hitting my driver and consequently really tear up the turf some times. But Sunday (yesterday) when I played at home - no rain, just fog and morning dew; I slipped three times on the tee box.

I usually rotate my shoes - but these will be my dry conditions, ie afternoon rounds shoes from now on. Or maybe when it’s cooler and we don’t have dew on the ground. I’m going back to only using my Inesis waterproof golf shoes for the dewy mornings. Those little studs on the bottom grip the turf better than anything I’ve ever worn. 

Just my experience - your own mileage may vary. They are good shoes for over pronators - and I do like them. I’ve just found something better for the wet.