Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Help me shorten my driver swing?

We don't know the reason for the length of your swing.  It could be you are really flexible,  it could be that you collapse your arms,  or it could be numerous other things.  Balls going left, right, and straight are primarily the result of face angle.    A simple google search for shorten golf backswing will give you some ideas, I like what the AMG guys put out so here is one way.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Another good video 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Agree with the above posters;  A swing video may help address the problem.  I struggled with this issue in the past and found it was helpful to let my shoulder turn dictate the "length of my swing". 

A lot of amateurs try and get added backswing length by either collapsing there arms or continuing to pull the arms back after the shoulder turn stops.  This can result in numerous problems.  

On 4/8/2021 at 10:00 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Another good video 

Great video, thanks. It does take a long time to fix a problem. One thing I noticed is that I get quick off the start of the backswing and then I can't turn and my arms collapse. Any suggestions to slow down the backswing? 

Edited by NC Golfer

4 minutes ago, NC Golfer said:

Great video, thanks. It does take a long time to fix a problem. One thing I noticed is that I get quick off the start of the backswing and then I can't turn and my arms collapse. Any suggestions to slow down the backswing? 

You need to use proper sequencing.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I overswing too, the pro I took lessons from had me flip the club upside down with my lead shoulder by a wall and then swing. So the grip would hit the wall to stop me

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

10 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

You need to use proper sequencing.

Ricky, Thanks, for the vid, the AMG guys are great. If I have this right, you flip the club halfway back, with the handle  pointing to the target line, then finish the backswing with a pivot. I wouldn't call this a sequence, like hands, arms, shoulders, hips etc. Can you please, clarify what you mean by sequence?

Also, I tried my own drill. Do a practice swing or pre swing , where the clubhead starts and is about 6 inches ahead towards the target. Then start the backswing, This syncs up the swing beautifully, hopefully it flows into a regular swing right after.

Edited by NC Golfer

1 hour ago, NC Golfer said:

Ricky, Thanks, for the vid, the AMG guys are great. If I have this right, you flip the club halfway back, with the handle  pointing to the target line, then finish the backswing with a pivot. I wouldn't call this a sequence, like hands, arms, shoulders, hips etc. Can you please, clarify what you mean by sequence?

Sequencing is related to the whole swing from takeaway thru the downswing. Issues in the transition and downswing are caused by bad sequencing/positions in the takeaway and backswing.

The beginning is the takeaway with a one piece aka keeping the triangle with arms and club in place to around the time the hand pass the trail leg. At this point there’s some setting of the wrist (bowing of lead wrist, cupping of the trail wrist along with a small amount of cock in the wrist and a little softening or bending of the trail arm. This gets the club in line with or in front of the hand with the shaft parallel to the ground. From this point as they show in the video it’s basically just a turn of the upper body and lower body to the top with the shaft pointing at the ball or target line...imagine a line that in front and behind the ball that extends for awhile. The shaft should point at that line. This helps get the body on a position to make a good turn and flatten the shaft in transition.

14 minutes ago, NC Golfer said:

Also, I tried my own drill. Do a practice swing or pre swing , where the clubhead starts and is about 6 inches ahead towards the target. Then start the backswing, This syncs up the swing beautifully, hopefully it flows into a regular swing right after.

This is a good drill several instructors ive watched use. It uses momentum to move the body in the right way