TESTERS WANTED! ×

Backyard synthetic putting green

Thinking of building a synthetic putting green in the backyard on the cheap.

Anyone done this and have any tips? Seems pretty straightforward...

*Not* looking for anything fancy at all. Have about 75ish yards in the back and thinking of a small green (6x8?) with a single cup that I can chip onto and just putt around on for fun.

Steps to Installing a Putting Green

• Mark out the location, size, and shape.
  • Remove old sod.
  • Compact the ground with a plate compactor.
  • Lay down weed barrier.
  • Add edging.
  • Lay down a base like crushed stone, and smooth it out.
  • Compact the base.
  • Add infill and turf.

https://www.homedepot.com/c/ah/how-to-make-a-putting-green-with-synthetic-turf/9ba683603be9fa5395fab901443238eb

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

*Not* looking for anything fancy at all. Have about 75ish yards in the back and thinking of a small green (6x8?) with a single cup that I can chip onto and just putt around on for fun.

• Remove old sod.
  • Lay down weed barrier.
  • Add edging.
  • Compact the base.
  • Add infill and turf.
https://www.homedepot.com/c/ah/how-to-make-a-putting-green-with-synthetic-turf/9ba683603be9fa5395fab901443238eb

No advice... but let me know when you’re done I’ll come over and you can steal all my money with putting/chipping contests. Haha

Any reason to not do 2 or 3 cups that you can putt between?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

51 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

• Remove old sod.
  • Lay down weed barrier.
  • Add edging.
  • Compact the base.
  • Add infill and turf.

I actually looked into this same homedepot page .. I will prob end up doing it but thought the same thing looks straightforward, also I watched some YouTube clips and doesn’t seem too bad but like @jlukes mentions drainage is key 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

38 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

No advice... but let me know when you’re done I’ll come over and you can steal all my money with putting/chipping contests. Haha

Any reason to not do 2 or 3 cups that you can putt between?

just want to start with something simple and easy at first. if it works, great! but if not then I want to be able to pull it up and let the grass (or weeds lol) grow back.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

3 hours ago, jlukes said:

It is a LOT of work. I have looked into it and getting the base, drainage and sub layers correct is 99% of the game.  If your drainage and base layers are off, it ends up being a disaster.  For 48 square feet I am not sure it would even be worth it.

Seconding this! It's a design build that seems straightforward on the surface but straight forward does not equate to simple. 

Do as much research as possible. If I remember right, there are a bunch of YouTube videos on how to do it and some articles on tips, tricks and areas to avoid so you don't turn a part of your lawn into a bog. 

Edit: thinking on this, for how cheap it supposedly is, it's just as cheap, more year round, and a lot less of a headache to get an indoor putting mat from Birdie Ball.

Edited by MNUte
Adding

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

2 hours ago, MNUte said:

Seconding this! It's a design build that seems straightforward on the surface but straight forward does not equate to simple. 

Do as much research as possible. If I remember right, there are a bunch of YouTube videos on how to do it and some articles on tips, tricks and areas to avoid so you don't turn a part of your lawn into a bog. 

Edit: thinking on this, for how cheap it supposedly is, it's just as cheap, more year round, and a lot less of a headache to get an indoor putting mat from Birdie Ball.

Yup especially if you’re only going to be hitting 6 to 8 ft putts

I sooo want to do one of these!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Doing this now. Have most of the gravel base in and will finish the rest today.  I have the surface on order and when it arrives I will lay it out and rent a plate compactor.  I'm going to compact and then dig out the holes and compact again.  One of my main concerns is that there be no lumps or bumps, so I'm going to be serious about getting it smoothed out.  For drainage, I'm going to have a slight crown in the middle of the green and will dig down below the holes and put small stones in there for better drainage.  Mine will be 10 x 20 with a chipping fringe around that.  Thanks for the tips.  

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Flash Driver & 3W

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Flash 2H

:srixon-small: ZX 3U

:cleveland-small: Cobra F7 4-5H

:mizuno-small: MP-32 3-PW OR :srixon-small:Z745 5-PW

:srixon-small: AW 51

:ping-small: 2.0 Glide Stealth 55 & 60

:ping-small: B60 Putter

When we bought our house, there was an outdoor putting green installed.  Sadly, it wasn't done very well.  It was the first attempt by a company and they didn't properly prepare the subsurface, leaving the green like putting on a linoleum floor.  Over time, it wore down and was unsightly and definitely not a putting green, but the dogs enjoyed it.  My backyard is not large and there is no lawn there -- just the artificial turf and surrounding plants/flowers and concrete.  When I replaced it, I opted not to install turf to be used as a putting green, but rather installed a high grade artificial turf (similar to what might be found at a sports park).  It looks great and is maintenance free, but I no longer have a putting green.  In all honesty, I don't really miss it.  

Bottom line, don't scrimp on preparation for the turf.  Make sure that the subsurface has good drainage and is of a material that will withstand time.  The turf can always be replaced, but the foundation will last a long time if properly prepared.  Of course, the materials today are of much higher quality than what was initially used for the one in our yard.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

2 hours ago, Sevefan said:

Doing this now. Have most of the gravel base in and will finish the rest today.  I have the surface on order and when it arrives I will lay it out and rent a plate compactor.  I'm going to compact and then dig out the holes and compact again.  One of my main concerns is that there be no lumps or bumps, so I'm going to be serious about getting it smoothed out.  For drainage, I'm going to have a slight crown in the middle of the green and will dig down below the holes and put small stones in there for better drainage.  Mine will be 10 x 20 with a chipping fringe around that.  Thanks for the tips.  

Once you have it compacted and before you put the turf down make a ton of putts. Then you will see what you have to fix or adjust. Once the turf is down it is much more difficult. Just before the turf, get a bag or two of play sand. Use a lawn fertilizer spreader and put the sand down. Brush it with a broom until all the sand settles between the crushed stone. Then water it with a fine spray on the hose. This will lock everything in together. Once dry take more putts. I can't enfisise this enough. Nothing worse than taking a putt and it moves army style (left, right, left right).  Also be real carefull around the cups get a 4 foot level and check all around the cup/ cups. No ridges near the cup. Then roll out you turf.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Wow, you did an amazing job.  Looks awesome.  I hope you became automatic on approach shots from 100 yds!  

Should I compact it again after sprinkling the sand on the compacted gravel?  Thanks.  

57 minutes ago, Sevefan said:

Wow, you did an amazing job.  Looks awesome.  I hope you became automatic on approach shots from 100 yds!  

Should I compact it again after sprinkling the sand on the compacted gravel?  Thanks.  

No you shouldn't have to. You are only adding enough sand to fill in between the pieces of crushed stone.  Go sparingly and just use a soft push broom. Walk along and let the sand just fall into the tiny cracks. Don't force sweep (if that's even a phrase). 

You are correct. The 100 yards and in and the putting is the stronger part of my game. If I come up short or miss a green I don't even fear not making par. To me it's a chip and one putt or hopefully chip it in. But it only makes sense that's what I can practice the most without going anywhere.  

Show us your photo's!

I just did this in my backyard. Very much an out of the box project. 

Tom is right, level, level, level, and take your time. Depending on how you build it (kit like mine or DIY) you may have some options/methods to address uneven spots or add breaks.  Good luck. 

You mentioned you are looking at 6*8 in size. You might find that a kit, or something like rolling out BirdieBalls outdoor version might be better. I’d first suggest marking off your desired area to be sure you can do what you want. If you are thinking about 50 yard shots that’s a pretty small target.  At least it would be for me...

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

6 x 8 at 50 - 75 yards would look like you're hitting onto a quarter!  Mine is about 14 x 27 and is not an easy target at 65 yards.  I had it put in about 10 years ago and it was the best purchase I ever made related to golf!!  It cost less than a Harley or boat and it is definitely cheaper to maintain!!  The contractor did the retaining wall and putting green and I did all the landscaping around it.  I had them make it as flat as possible and it has held up well.  There are some subtle breaks that have developed but I marked out spots where 5, 10, 15 & 20 foot putts are straight.  In my opinion the three holes are enough on my size layout.

I wanted to add support for the comments about getting the drainage right.  Because of our clay soil they started with a layer of 2" stone, then a layer of 3/4" then a layer of crusher run and then a top layer of stone dust.  Each layer compacted level before going to the next layer.  They and I did as Tom suggested and putted on the stone dust layer to identify any non level areas.  When they dug out the holes in mine they used a cement mix around it and not just the stone dust.  They said it was to keep the cup from raising up over time.  Only a heavy downpour will cause puddles on it and within 15 min they are gone.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

2 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

6 x 8 at 50 - 75 yards would look like you're hitting onto a quarter!  Mine is about 14 x 27 and is not an easy target at 65 yards.  I had it put in about 10 years ago and it was the best purchase I ever made related to golf!!  It cost less than a Harley or boat and it is definitely cheaper to maintain!!  The contractor did the retaining wall and putting green and I did all the landscaping around it.  I had them make it as flat as possible and it has held up well.  There are some subtle breaks that have developed but I marked out spots where 5, 10, 15 & 20 foot putts are straight.  In my opinion the three holes are enough on my size layout.

I wanted to add support for the comments about getting the drainage right.  Because of our clay soil they started with a layer of 2" stone, then a layer of 3/4" then a layer of crusher run and then a top layer of stone dust.  Each layer compacted level before going to the next layer.  They and I did as Tom suggested and putted on the stone dust layer to identify any non level areas.  When they dug out the holes in mine they used a cement mix around it and not just the stone dust.  They said it was to keep the cup from raising up over time.  Only a heavy downpour will cause puddles on it and within 15 min they are gone.

WOW! That is a dream setup. Very cool...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

1 hour ago, StrokerAce said:

WOW! That is a dream setup. Very cool...

^ what he said... @Shapotomous that is awesome!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

On 4/10/2021 at 11:12 AM, Kenny B said:

I sooo want to have one of these... put in!!!   😂

👍 👍

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

On 4/10/2021 at 11:12 AM, Kenny B said:

I sooo want to have one of these... put in!!!   😂

What!!!!!  Look at all the exercise you are missing out on. Shoveling tons of crushed stone, stone dust, and sand, jarring your entire body for hours with a compactor, brushing the blades of grass with a broom so they stand up perfectly.  Spending hours on the surrounding landscape to impress your buddies. Come on man.. find your inner golfing spirit. You can do it! 

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

What!!!!!  Look at all the exercise you are missing out on. Shoveling tons of crushed stone, stone dust, and sand, jarring your entire body for hours with a compactor, brushing the blades of grass with a broom so they stand up perfectly.  Spending hours on the surrounding landscape to impress your buddies. Come on man.. find your inner golfing spirit. You can do it! 

20 years ago I might have done that; this nearly 74-year old body can't.  Besides, it would mean giving up golf while I do it.  Sorry.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

20 years ago I might have done that; this nearly 74-year old body can't.  Besides, it would mean giving up golf while I do it.  Sorry.

I know the feeling. I'm in the process of taking up green # 2. It's a sand filled synthetic and it weighs tons. I take a yard tractor and pull back the green by about two feet. Then cut off the two feet and drag it off to the woods by chain. Each strip of 12 feet by two feet weighs over 500 pounds. I think then I'll have to rent a bob cat to dig a hole and bury it all later on.  In the mean time I'll just add some top soil and plant real grass. I'll leave the base and cups in place just to have a target to hit to. Being just shy of 62, this is kicking my butt. I thought about installing another one close to the house just for putting. Then I woke up!   I'll drive 5 minutes to the golf course.    

14 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I know the feeling. I'm in the process of taking up green # 2. It's a sand filled synthetic and it weighs tons. I take a yard tractor and pull back the green by about two feet. Then cut off the two feet and drag it off to the woods by chain. Each strip of 12 feet by two feet weighs over 500 pounds. I think then I'll have to rent a bob cat to dig a hole and bury it all later on.  In the mean time I'll just add some top soil and plant real grass. I'll leave the base and cups in place just to have a target to hit to. Being just shy of 62, this is kicking my butt. I thought about installing another one close to the house just for putting. Then I woke up!   I'll drive 5 minutes to the golf course.    

Here's my backyard looking out from my patio.  I have a retaining wall that extends my entire backyard property line.  

IMG_4829.jpeg.d7132bb11058463c9416e36fa3caed09.jpeg

I'm considering having a putting/chipping green put in on the upper level from those center steps by the small evergreen trees to the right.  From the steps to the left is my garden area with a few patches of grass.

Here's the right side of the upper level where I want the putting/chipping green.

IMG_1390.jpeg.60cb670e046bfe28825c1ff1be69e593.jpeg

The steps here on the right is the only viable way to get a mower to the upper level = pain-in-the-arse!!  I think all the grassy areas should be artificial or rock.  The greenhouse is going; I don't use it.  From the small dogwood tree to the evergreen shrubs I have about 45 feet to work with and it's about 14 feet wide.  I wish the power pole and cable weren't in the way but it's near the edge of the property, and I can work around it. 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

4 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Here's my backyard looking out from my patio.  I have a retaining wall that extends my entire backyard property line.  

IMG_4829.jpeg.d7132bb11058463c9416e36fa3caed09.jpeg

I'm considering having a putting/chipping green put in on the upper level from those center steps by the small evergreen trees to the right.  From the steps to the left is my garden area with a few patches of grass.

Here's the right side of the upper level where I want the putting/chipping green.

IMG_1390.jpeg.60cb670e046bfe28825c1ff1be69e593.jpeg

The steps here on the right is the only viable way to get a mower to the upper level = pain-in-the-arse!!  I think all the grassy areas should be artificial or rock.  The greenhouse is going; I don't use it.  From the small dogwood tree to the evergreen shrubs I have about 45 feet to work with and it's about 14 feet wide.  I wish the power pole and cable weren't in the way but it's near the edge of the property, and I can work around it. 

It looks like that would be an awesome spot!  Nice backyard.. I love the landscaping work there.

6 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

The steps here on the right is the only viable way to get a mower to the upper level = pain-in-the-arse!!

For that reason alone you need to install a green. Protect your health! 😉  Also why I have rubberized mulch surrounding my green - one less place I need to try to mow.  

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

3 hours ago, B.Boston said:

It looks like that would be an awesome spot!  Nice backyard.. I love the landscaping work there.

Thanks!!  I didn't do it.  I bought the house 16 months ago from the original owner who bought it 20 years ago.  He did all the landscaping and concrete work; I'm just trying to maintain it looking nice.  Lots of work.  Grass is growing but the irrigation water hasn't been turned on yet; maybe by the weekend.  It's getting dry in spots; not much rain, just wind!!

OK, tell me if I'm crazy.  I got the turf and the fringe border.  I have 2 inches of gravel base down but not compacted.  I'm getting ready to start compacting and I find that there are three cicada holes and emerging cicadas coming up through the uncompacted gravel.  I'm in Virginia and the cicada plague is about to begin.  Now I'm nervous about putting down the turf that I just spent $%&#! on because what if I wake up in two weeks and fine that 20 cicadas have chewed through my brand new putting green.  I'm hoping they won't be able to get through the compacted gravel, but it's making me consider that maybe I should not roll it out until they have completely emerged.  Is this insane?  

We did one of these in our patio area. Converted a large flowerbed, Wedge shape with straight edges both 20 ft long, ~315 square ft. we did this as more of a play area for my son and I decided to add a couple putting cups for myself. It is right next to the house so I don't use it for approach shots. similar to you I was wanting something budget friendly because the primary use isn't even for golf. I agree with some of the other people on here, I would recommend something larger. You will be surprised how small it feels, I think you will be happy you chose to go bigger if you do. Also it would be easier to do it now rather than expand later.

I tilled up the ground then raked it smooth. Added several bags of sand to make up the base, rock would be better, I think pros use AB3 for putting green base. Borrowed my neighbors plate compactor and packed everything down good, wetting with a hose between rounds.

next I cut in the cups I did two, three would be good for my size green but I also dug in a sandbox in the corner.

Rolled out the putting surface, Just your basic green outdoor turf carpet like you have on mini golf courses. I had a couple seams so I used seam tape underneath.

Finally I used u-shaped landscaping stakes to secure the carpet around the edges and on the seams. The stakes showed up too much on the carpet because the turf is short (<1/4 inch), with longer turf you can hide your stakes. I cut the stakes so they were just straight with a small hook at the end. This made them much easier to hide.

After this you could infill with sand or colored rubber infill, I decided against this because I felt the sand would be visible. I haven't had any issues with movement. However the turf grain all goes one direction so putting against it is a little tough. Brushing in infill would hold up the grass blades so the grain would be more even.

We had some storm damage to our house last year and my green was punctured so I will be replacing it here shortly. I plan on expanding the surface and using longer turf around the edges and on one side for a kids/chipping area. Then putting surface around 10x10.

Here are some before and after pics, I'll add the new and improved version once it is finished.   

IMG-0989.jpg.5490f2775e9a5bec33e5c9a5b0811928.jpg

IMG-1073.jpg

IMG-1072.jpg

IMG-1589.jpg

Edited by Eli-short
picture formatting