TESTERS WANTED! ×

Backyard synthetic putting green

6 hours ago, Sevefan said:

OK, tell me if I'm crazy.  I got the turf and the fringe border.  I have 2 inches of gravel base down but not compacted.  I'm getting ready to start compacting and I find that there are three cicada holes and emerging cicadas coming up through the uncompacted gravel.  I'm in Virginia and the cicada plague is about to begin.  Now I'm nervous about putting down the turf that I just spent $%&#! on because what if I wake up in two weeks and fine that 20 cicadas have chewed through my brand new putting green.  I'm hoping they won't be able to get through the compacted gravel, but it's making me consider that maybe I should not roll it out until they have completely emerged.  Is this insane?  

I would wait. Even if they can't chew through they will want to try to tunnel out to the side.  Raising lumps and bumps on the way. I know you are anxious. Its not going anywhere.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

5 hours ago, Eli-short said:

We did one of these in our patio area. Converted a large flowerbed, Wedge shape with straight edges both 20 ft long, ~315 square ft. we did this as more of a play area for my son and I decided to add a couple putting cups for myself. It is right next to the house so I don't use it for approach shots. similar to you I was wanting something budget friendly because the primary use isn't even for golf. I agree with some of the other people on here, I would recommend something larger. You will be surprised how small it feels, I think you will be happy you chose to go bigger if you do. Also it would be easier to do it now rather than expand later.

I tilled up the ground then raked it smooth. Added several bags of sand to make up the base, rock would be better, I think pros use AB3 for putting green base. Borrowed my neighbors plate compactor and packed everything down good, wetting with a hose between rounds.

next I cut in the cups I did two, three would be good for my size green but I also dug in a sandbox in the corner.

Rolled out the putting surface, Just your basic green outdoor turf carpet like you have on mini golf courses. I had a couple seams so I used seam tape underneath.

Finally I used u-shaped landscaping stakes to secure the carpet around the edges and on the seams. The stakes showed up too much on the carpet because the turf is short (<1/4 inch), with longer turf you can hide your stakes. I cut the stakes so they were just straight with a small hook at the end. This made them much easier to hide.

After this you could infill with sand or colored rubber infill, I decided against this because I felt the sand would be visible. I haven't had any issues with movement. However the turf grain all goes one direction so putting against it is a little tough. Brushing in infill would hold up the grass blades so the grain would be more even.

We had some storm damage to our house last year and my green was punctured so I will be replacing it here shortly. I plan on expanding the surface and using longer turf around the edges and on one side for a kids/chipping area. Then putting surface around 10x10.

Here are some before and after pics, I'll add the new and improved version once it is finished.   

IMG-0989.jpg.5490f2775e9a5bec33e5c9a5b0811928.jpg

IMG-1073.jpg

IMG-1072.jpg

IMG-1589.jpg

What a great idea to put a few holes in your son's play area.  Sorry about the storm damage.  I hope you're fully repaired other then the play area.  

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Flash Driver & 3W

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Flash 2H

:srixon-small: ZX 3U

:cleveland-small: Cobra F7 4-5H

:mizuno-small: MP-32 3-PW OR :srixon-small:Z745 5-PW

:srixon-small: AW 51

:ping-small: 2.0 Glide Stealth 55 & 60

:ping-small: B60 Putter

5 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I would wait. Even if they can't chew through they will want to try to tunnel out to the side.  Raising lumps and bumps on the way. I know you are anxious. Its not going anywhere.

Thanks for the feedback, Tom.  That's wise advice.  I didn't know if I was being ridiculous in even worrying about it, so it's good to hear that you think it may be an issue.  I guess this should be a concern for everyone with a backyard green if you're in cicada territory.  

I think I finished the compacting today.  I was able to roll the turf out and hit a bunch of putts.  I made lots of adjustments and compacted it a bunch of times, and it's rolling quite true.  One big takeway: with all that gravel under the surface, it's amazing and pretty maddening how much chaos one misplaced pebble can do.  

Last thing I did was cut one (of four) holes.  Went pretty well, and I was able to dig out enough to put a bunch of drainage stones below the cup.  I'll insert the three other cups tomorrow and then roll it up until these darn critters have stopped interfering with my backyard dreams.  

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Flash Driver & 3W

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Flash 2H

:srixon-small: ZX 3U

:cleveland-small: Cobra F7 4-5H

:mizuno-small: MP-32 3-PW OR :srixon-small:Z745 5-PW

:srixon-small: AW 51

:ping-small: 2.0 Glide Stealth 55 & 60

:ping-small: B60 Putter

3 minutes ago, Sevefan said:

One big takeway: with all that gravel under the surface, it's amazing and pretty maddening how much chaos one misplaced pebble can do.  

Last thing I did was cut one (of four) holes.  Went pretty well, and I was able to dig out enough to put a bunch of drainage stones below the cup.  I'll insert the three other cups tomorrow and then roll it up until these darn critters have stopped interfering with my backyard dreams.  

One pebble is just like someone's un-repaired divot or spike mark.  Throws your ball of line. I went with a fine stone dust as a top dressing plus a bit of the play sand.  I did water it a lot so it set up like cement in a way. Im still in the process of taking up my last one and the base is still great 10 years later.

23 hours ago, Sevefan said:

OK, tell me if I'm crazy.  I got the turf and the fringe border.  I have 2 inches of gravel base down but not compacted.  I'm getting ready to start compacting and I find that there are three cicada holes and emerging cicadas coming up through the uncompacted gravel.  I'm in Virginia and the cicada plague is about to begin.  Now I'm nervous about putting down the turf that I just spent $%&#! on because what if I wake up in two weeks and fine that 20 cicadas have chewed through my brand new putting green.  I'm hoping they won't be able to get through the compacted gravel, but it's making me consider that maybe I should not roll it out until they have completely emerged.  Is this insane?  

I don't think you're crazy to wait.   And since my green is less than 17 years old I am wondering what might happen here?!?!?!    I hope the grading got deep enough to remove any of the buried cicadas, anybody know how deep they burrow into the ground?  Edit....I just researched and found out they burrow 8' into the ground!!!  We sure didn't go that deep......fingers crossed they don't come up in the middle of the green.  And I thought mole tunnels would be the big danger to putting green longevity.

And +1 on Tom's comment about stone dust on the top layer. 

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Good morning everyone,

So we are going to replace our horrible backyard with turf - just finalized the bid and accepted. My question is for a 300SqFt (15x20) putting green portion of this project how many holes would you put in? Would you ask for any undulations for break to be added? Any other thoughts on this?

:honma: Driver, 3W & 5H

:taylormade-small: P790 4-PW S-Taper S

:benhogan-small: 50, 54, 58

:odyssey-small: 7S

14 minutes ago, sglj3 said:

. My question is for a 300SqFt (15x20) putting green portion of this project how many holes would you put in? Would you ask for any undulations for break to be added? Any other thoughts on this?

What will be the shape of the green? Did you get a non filled green?

My first green was roughly that size in comparable sq/ft. I put in three holes and one break. My second green was larger but I still only put in three holes but no breaks. The first one was mainly for putting. The second one was for approach shots up to 100 yards.  If you look on page 1 of this thread you can see the cups if you click on the images. I picked up a full size flag pole and flag from a golf course so I had something precise to aim for at 100 yards. You would be surprised by the amount of old stuff laying around in a golf courses maintenance shed. Just go ask.  I got all my cups, a pole, and 2 flags for nothing. 

One thing to consider is the break. Once you hit the putt a dozen times or so you know where it is going. Then after a while you just become automatic and don't even have to read the putt. So on my second green I opted for everything to be flat.  If you got a non filled type putting turf you could always roll it back and change your break. Filled type would not be possible. 

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

What will be the shape of the green? Did you get a non filled green?

My first green was roughly that size in comparable sq/ft. I put in three holes and one break. My second green was larger but I still only put in three holes but no breaks. The first one was mainly for putting. The second one was for approach shots up to 100 yards.  If you look on page 1 of this thread you can see the cups if you click on the images. I picked up a full size flag pole and flag from a golf course so I had something precise to aim for at 100 yards. You would be surprised by the amount of old stuff laying around in a golf courses maintenance shed. Just go ask.  I got all my cups, a pole, and 2 flags for nothing. 

One thing to consider is the break. Once you hit the putt a dozen times or so you know where it is going. Then after a while you just become automatic and don't even have to read the putt. So on my second green I opted for everything to be flat.  If you got a non filled type putting turf you could always roll it back and change your break. Filled type would not be possible. 

It will be filled so I was thinking flat, I appreciate your opinion on the break as it does make complete sense that you would just learn it quickly. I live in a suburban area with decent size lot, the turf is going to be about 1600SqFt but not an area I can hit to. I will be able to do some chipping to it but we do have a deck above our patio so posts are in the way of some chipping.

17 hours ago, sglj3 said:

My question is for a 300SqFt (15x20) putting green portion of this project how many holes would you put in?

My green is ten by twenty and I have five - the four corners and one just off the middle but the hitting strip. Four would have been enough.  I work my way  around the world.  Because I have a base system that  mine sits on I can add and remove breaks whenever I choose. It’s a not a permanent decision.

If it had to be permanent, I’d do something subtle and try to place it so you get both a RtoL and LtoR so two uses out of it. 

You may find a 15x20 green is the perfect spot to set a practice net on, or make some ten to twenty yard pitches. 

F4EC6D0D-414A-49A3-B87B-6F678AFE0334.jpeg.5a517cc1d9eed352b88ed1547d1280a4.jpeg

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

4 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

My green is ten by twenty and I have five - the four corners and one just off the middle but the hitting strip. Four would have been enough.  I work my way  around the world.  Because I have a base system that  mine sits on I can add and remove breaks whenever I choose. It’s a not a permanent decision.

If it had to be permanent, I’d do something subtle and try to place it so you get both a RtoL and LtoR so two uses out of it. 

You may find a 15x20 green is the perfect spot to set a practice net on, or make some ten to twenty yard pitches. 

A hitting net is already in the plan to use with my Rapsodo MLM🤣 And yes the way my yard is situated I will be able to do some pitching as well!

1 hour ago, sglj3 said:

hitting net is already in the plan to use with my Rapsodo

Good for you! You’ll enjoy. My Sporina net fits perfectly between those little flags standing in the cups.   I’ve got another post documenting my set up w the ProPutt green, Tourstrike turf and chipping pad.  It’s amazing what we can do at home now.  Wish I would have done it/had it available to me years ago. 

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts

Agree with everyone else's advice that smoothing out the base layer is the most important step.  I added a layer of paver sand on top of my base rock layer and compacted that too, which seemed to do a nice job smoothing the whole thing out.  Mine is about 16 x 11 and I am really glad to have 3 cups to mix it up a bit.  Might be nice to do at least do 2 cups instead of just one - then you can putt back and forth, and if you add a small slope you'll have a right to left/left to right option and/or downhill/uphill?

With the amount of space you described, you should definitely position it so you can chip to it and maybe add fringe. I would have loved to do both, but I had more l limited space with a city lot and  really wanted to have as much putting surface as I could so I went as big as I could fit in the small area between our deck and garage.

Excited to see pictures of your progress!

EB052826-8CB8-4968-83AC-922C1D2B0CF1.jpeg.289ce2663d2c962125b8307ad01b8efc.jpeg

Driver:  :cleveland-small: HiBore XL Tour, Aldila VS Proto 

Fairway:   :titelist-small: 980F 15* and 19* 

Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP-32 5-PW and MX-23 3 -4, Rifle 6.0

Wedges:  :mizuno-small:  MP-T4 54*, 60*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter:  :scotty-small:  Studio Design 1.5 

Ball:   :titelist-small: ProV1x

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2021 at 11:22 PM, sglj3 said:

I got my new yard and putting green instated this week.

Wow, that looks great.  I gotta ask - is the whole back yard artificial turf?  It looks so green and pristine.  Nice shape there.  Looks like a good use of an awkward corner. 

So, do you put your net, and monitor in the yard, or on the green?

@WaffleHouseTour Yes the whole yard is now turf or river rock, no maintenance and shouldn't be a swamp during the rainy season. I haven't chosen the net yet but will likely place on the turf facing the green space in case there are any errant shots 🤣

On 4/10/2021 at 2:00 PM, Sevefan said:

Wow, you did an amazing job.  Looks awesome.  I hope you became automatic on approach shots from 100 yds!  

Should I compact it again after sprinkling the sand on the compacted gravel?  Thanks.  

Yes indeed it does. It also is helping me understand how Tom has attained a 1.6 handicap in a relatively short period of time.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

3 hours ago, sglj3 said:

I haven't chosen the net yet but will likely place on the turf facing the green space in case there are any errant shots

So cool. 
lots of guys on here like the Sporina. Super easy to pop up.  I actually leave mine laying flat on my green when not in use , I just set a couple rocks on it to keep the wind from catching it.  But folded it up this weekend to avoid any fireworks landing on it.  I use a couple rocks to keep the wind from catching it as I can’t put any stakes in my putting green set up.  Check it out.

but super jealous of the look.  Very very nice.  

• 1 year later...

Hi Friends- 

I just paid to have a putting green installed, and I generally think it looks nice, but the ball is not rolling smoothly. When I look at it from this angle, I see lumps and bumps all over. I'm definitely getting the left right right lefts. I noticed when they were installing they just threw the sand all over by hand and then used a power broom. I think it needs a lot more sand, and they should have used a turf spreader. I was curious if anyone has any suggestions for getting rid of lumps or anything I could do? I am hoping it's salvageable....154461631_puttinggreen.jpg.354bf5cc009389f56e6fc653b392e119.jpg

1 hour ago, cporter777 said:

I just paid to have a putting green installed, and I generally think it looks nice, but the ball is not rolling smoothly. When I look at it from this angle, I see lumps and bumps all over. I'm definitely getting the left right right lefts. I noticed when they were installing they just threw the sand all over by hand and then used a power broom. I think it needs a lot more sand, and they should have used a turf spreader. I was curious if anyone has any suggestions for getting rid of lumps or anything I could do? I am hoping it's salvageable....

You absolutely need to call them and have them come back to fix it and do it right. If it doesn’t roll smoothly enough you’ll quit using it and it’ll have been a wasted effort. They’ll need to pull up the turf - add a lot more sand - and then compact it - then pull the turf tight. There may be breaks, and high and low spots but you shouldn’t see bumps. Who was the manufacturer of the turf? Check their guidance on depth of base layer, and then depth of sand. My fear would be if your installer took a shortcut on the sand they may have also done so on the base layer.