Backyard synthetic putting green

1 hour ago, sglj3 said:

hitting net is already in the plan to use with my Rapsodo

Good for you! You’ll enjoy. My Sporina net fits perfectly between those little flags standing in the cups.   I’ve got another post documenting my set up w the ProPutt green, Tourstrike turf and chipping pad.  It’s amazing what we can do at home now.  Wish I would have done it/had it available to me years ago. 

• Love 1

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Agree with everyone else's advice that smoothing out the base layer is the most important step.  I added a layer of paver sand on top of my base rock layer and compacted that too, which seemed to do a nice job smoothing the whole thing out.  Mine is about 16 x 11 and I am really glad to have 3 cups to mix it up a bit.  Might be nice to do at least do 2 cups instead of just one - then you can putt back and forth, and if you add a small slope you'll have a right to left/left to right option and/or downhill/uphill?

With the amount of space you described, you should definitely position it so you can chip to it and maybe add fringe. I would have loved to do both, but I had more l limited space with a city lot and  really wanted to have as much putting surface as I could so I went as big as I could fit in the small area between our deck and garage.

Excited to see pictures of your progress!

EB052826-8CB8-4968-83AC-922C1D2B0CF1.jpeg.289ce2663d2c962125b8307ad01b8efc.jpeg

• Like 4

Driver:  :cleveland-small: HiBore XL Tour, Aldila VS Proto 

Fairway:   :titelist-small: 980F 15* and 19* 

Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP-32 5-PW and MX-23 3 -4, Rifle 6.0

Wedges:  :mizuno-small:  MP-T4 54*, 60*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter:  :scotty-small:  Studio Design 1.5 

Ball:   :titelist-small: ProV1x

• 1 month later...

I got my new yard and putting green instated this week. 

ED081D7D-6C07-4612-8B83-CCD77F4F261A.jpeg

AF0AD63F-1FC6-4140-B067-ECF8C357E223.jpeg

Edited by sglj3
  • Like 8
  • Love 1

Mizuno ST190 Driver

Mizuno ST190 3 Wood

Nike 4 Hybrid

TaylorMade P790 4-PW

Ben Hogan 50*, 54*, 60* 

TaylorMade Soto Blade putter

On 6/26/2021 at 11:22 PM, sglj3 said:

I got my new yard and putting green instated this week.

Wow, that looks great.  I gotta ask - is the whole back yard artificial turf?  It looks so green and pristine.  Nice shape there.  Looks like a good use of an awkward corner. 

So, do you put your net, and monitor in the yard, or on the green?

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts

@WaffleHouseTour Yes the whole yard is now turf or river rock, no maintenance and shouldn't be a swamp during the rainy season. I haven't chosen the net yet but will likely place on the turf facing the green space in case there are any errant shots 🤣

• Like 2

Mizuno ST190 Driver

Mizuno ST190 3 Wood

Nike 4 Hybrid

TaylorMade P790 4-PW

Ben Hogan 50*, 54*, 60* 

TaylorMade Soto Blade putter

On 4/10/2021 at 2:00 PM, Sevefan said:

Wow, you did an amazing job.  Looks awesome.  I hope you became automatic on approach shots from 100 yds!  

Should I compact it again after sprinkling the sand on the compacted gravel?  Thanks.  

Yes indeed it does. It also is helping me understand how Tom has attained a 1.6 handicap in a relatively short period of time.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

3 hours ago, sglj3 said:

I haven't chosen the net yet but will likely place on the turf facing the green space in case there are any errant shots

So cool. 
lots of guys on here like the Sporina. Super easy to pop up.  I actually leave mine laying flat on my green when not in use , I just set a couple rocks on it to keep the wind from catching it.  But folded it up this weekend to avoid any fireworks landing on it.  I use a couple rocks to keep the wind from catching it as I can’t put any stakes in my putting green set up.  Check it out.

but super jealous of the look.  Very very nice.