Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The Stack System Review and Progress Thread

dlow206

I have my swing space set-up and am ready to start my baseline this weekend.

More than likely on Sunday afternoon.

Edited by rkj427

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Slow but steady. Nine months in.  Goal for 2023 was to hit 100. Goal for 2024 is 110. IMG_5176.jpeg.e88d7990c88dfabab648f260aaea73e6.jpeg

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

31 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Slow but steady. Nine months in.  Goal for 2023 was to hit 100. Goal for 2024 is 110. IMG_5176.jpeg.e88d7990c88dfabab648f260aaea73e6.jpeg

That's great stuff. Steady progress; reflects some solid dedication on your part.  Good on ya.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I will be starting the Stack program next week (first time doing speed training) and have been reading through this thread.  It’s very informative and everyone’s progress is very motivating!  

Out of curiosity, have any of the Stack users here experienced reduced scores (e.g., an improved handicap) after gaining CHS with Stack?  I know that Broadie and Stagner have discussed better SG off tee after speed training, but I’d be interested in hearing from Stack users.  Would be nice to know if anyone gained 15 yards (or whatever distance) and then dropped a couple strokes as a result.

Finally arrived.

looks like I’ll have to wait for a nicer day outside to do the baseline.  Just don’t have a space indoors even garage to really swing free.  Come uncomfortably close to my garages ceiling.  I’m just a tad too tall with a full length driver.  Good news is once I’m actually in a program stacks short enough shouldn’t be an issue.

mmmm finally.

IMG_7949.jpeg.ca3d834be6fc87fe9abea22bbf4e2439.jpeg

think I’ll have a day later this week I can get outdoors to get the baseline done.

IMG_7952.jpeg.cd0f83ed474b9fc847a6d685697b82bc.jpeg

Stack Referral code

Driver - Sim2Max 10.5° (set at 9*) UST Helium shaft

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

irons - Sim2OS kbsmax85mt steel shafts reg flex 5i-Aw

wedgies - Jaws MD5 52°-10° (Bounce) S Grind

Jaws MD5 56°-12° (Bounce) W Grind

Putter - Mizuno OMOI Type II

Final Sugar "Pure" Golf Balls Review

And away… we… go.

not bad speeds considering I did this outside in a hoodie with an ambient temp of 32*

IMG_7960.png

Stack Referral code

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

Hello, 

Started using the Stack recently and I just wanted also to share my progress. 
During my fitting in 2022 my swing speed was in average at 92mph, and last summer I measured my top speed at 94mph. 
Since then, I started a big technical work with my driver (I am now more precise with much more regularity), but my swing speed went much slower... I think I should be playing somewhere between 85 and 90mph. That's also the reason why I started using the stack.

After 5 sessions, my espeed increased a lot, I am really happy about it! 
(Maybe also important to say, I am a women)

Thing is, I went to the driving range to try the priming speed with my driver, and my air shot with driver was 102mph, but with the ball only 89mph 😞
Did somenone already experience that? Ok, it was freezing cold 25°F, but I am still a bit disapointed. 

TheStack160g.jpeg

TheStackeSpeed.jpeg

TheStackGains.jpeg

25 minutes ago, GolfLady said:

Hello, 

Started using the Stack recently and I just wanted also to share my progress. 
During my fitting in 2022 my swing speed was in average at 92mph, and last summer I measured my top speed at 94mph. 
Since then, I started a big technical work with my driver (I am now more precise with much more regularity), but my swing speed went much slower... I think I should be playing somewhere between 85 and 90mph. That's also the reason why I started using the stack.

After 5 sessions, my espeed increased a lot, I am really happy about it! 
(Maybe also important to say, I am a women)

Thing is, I went to the driving range to try the priming speed with my driver, and my air shot with driver was 102mph, but with the ball only 89mph 😞
Did somenone already experience that? Ok, it was freezing cold 25°F, but I am still a bit disapointed. 

TheStack160g.jpeg

TheStackeSpeed.jpeg

TheStackGains.jpeg

damn nice gains.  im hoping I can end up doing similar.  I did my baseline when it was 32f and had a hoodie on, but needs must haha.

Edited by skraeling

Stack Referral code

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

Got the Stack. The shaft is not as stout as SuperSpeed. Love the SS system, wanted to compare the Stack to SS! 

Thoughts on shaft flex in a speed training system? 

Brandon Johnson, MBA
COO / Co-founder North American Golf Tour 

www.northamericangolftour.com

e: [email protected]

WITB: 

• D - Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 3w- Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • PW, GW, SW, LW Cleveland rtx 
  • true temper shafts in all of my irons 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

On 3/3/2023 at 5:45 PM, RD McAvoy said:

I never said you "can't"; I said you shouldn't because once anaerobic storage capacity is exhausted — approx 6 minutes worth over 24 hours, with 24 hours to fully recover —- you’re in an aerobic state…. actually training slow twitch muscles v recruiting fast twitch. The very first energy stores the body uses up is the anaerobic stores. The main issue is, unless one keeps very close track of the time element most folks will be totally unaware they've shifted into aerobic work... until they notice fatigue which is way, way too late for speed training. There IS some anecdotal evidence that power lifting can benefit speed training but I'm unaware of any professional org that advocates that for speed work. 

Aerobic work of any type is the exact opposite intent of the specificity of speed training. Not saying you aren’t supporting improving speed or your body overall or adding slow twitch muscle or strength as there are overlaps in any non-isolated muscle training. It greatly depends on individual PHYSIOLOGY prior to speed training. If one is highly athletic or in great shape some differences may not be readily apparent. I think jumping or wall-ball is not aerobic in general but If you’re doing free weights, which are generally aerobic in nature, you're likely to degrade speed training results. Doing everything in bursts is the best general policy. All of my knowledge is based upon work done by the USOC commonly referred as “The Bat Speed Study” and well documented in numerous academic publications. The Institutes of Sport in Australia and Sweden have years of data as does the old East Germans and Russians who did this in the 1950's. Kelvin Miahira in Hawaii was a brilliant source from his studies at the U. of Ha. Plenty of other sources if one seeks them out. All the best.

Love the insights you're sharing! I've recently plateaued (even lost a few mph) and can't figure out why. Extremely frustrating as I've been doing speed training for golf for 3+ years. 

But this fast twitch muscle fatigue is really hitting home for me as I think this could be a cause for my speed losses.

My current training is:

- Speed work (Super Speed Sticks) Monday, Wednesday, Friday

- Lifting weights - Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday (large muscle groups (legs, back, shoulders, chest), dumbells, free weights, mix of core exercises (golf specific and general)

- Rest Sunday

Based on your research is it better to perform gym workouts on the same day as speed work (after speed) or is it better to do it on non-speed days like my current schedule?

Second, should I steer away from my current workouts and focus on fast twitch exercises (HIIT and plyometrics come to mind, med ball slams, lower weight/faster movements, etc).

Your posts really make sense to me. As I thought increasing my overall strength (which I have) would benefit my speed. But as you're saying, my workouts could be recruiting the wrong fibers, in this case slow twitch. 

On 1/16/2024 at 4:51 PM, Bohnson said:

Got the Stack. The shaft is not as stout as SuperSpeed. Love the SS system, wanted to compare the Stack to SS! 

Thoughts on shaft flex in a speed training system? 

my personal thoughts are that unless you're swinging at super high speeds, 130mph plus, the shaft flex isn't that relevant as you're simply trying to move it as fast as you possibly can and the weights add the required resistance

Wanted to share another update after about 3 months. It took me a while to get through the 2nd half of the Neural Drive programme with work ramping up again and the holiday season. As I had previously mentioned, I felt like I was plateauing and just stuck around 101-102mph. Started doing more specific strength training that Mike Carroll suggested on his Fit For Golf blog and started engaging the bigger muscles more (core, shoulders, etc) rather than my arms.

So between strength training with FFG and Stack training, I just finished the progress test. Very happy the data is showing what I feel - it's definitely faster. And for those wondering if this actually translates onto the course - I've gained about 7m (8yds) on average off the tee over the last 3-5 months. So while it isn't as far as what the Stack estimates, I'm definitely able to bring some of that speed over to the course!

(Now... if I could only score better. 😜)

image0.png

Edited by Paco Chan

"Just hit it down the middle. It's wide open there." - Coach Haberli // A Grind BX-D 9.5° | A Grind FW DST 14° | A Grind BX-H 2H (17°) | A Grind Utility Proto 3H (19.5°) | A Grind+ Utility 4H (23°) | Sterling Irons single length 4-9 | :vokey-small: 46°, 50°, 55°, 60° | :cameron-small: Studio Design 1 | :srixon-small: XV-Star🔹 | :wilson-small: Triad | Garmin CT10 | Garmin Fenix 7S | Eenour U1000 Pro rangefinder

So great to see all your progress! It’s even more impressive to see when you guys can convert your espeed into driver swing speed with a ball 🤩

From my side, still working on my foundation program and I can see some progress. 

IMG_4689.jpeg.e6c0be1ae188b3c83964fa35a383298d.jpeg
if as an amateur women golfer I can play this swing speed it would be just amazing! 

4 hours ago, GolfLady said:

So great to see all your progress! It’s even more impressive to see when you guys can convert your espeed into driver swing speed with a ball 🤩

From my side, still working on my foundation program and I can see some progress. 

IMG_4689.jpeg.e6c0be1ae188b3c83964fa35a383298d.jpeg
if as an amateur women golfer I can play this swing speed it would be just amazing! 

That would be significantly above the lpga average of 95mph, and higher than most male amateurs of ... 95mph.  Friggin impressive.

Stack Referral code

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

3 hours ago, skraeling said:

That would be significantly above the lpga average of 95mph, and higher than most male amateurs of ... 95mph.  Friggin impressive.

Yes, it’s really motivating, that’s why I love the stack! 
Next big step is to bring this speed to the driving range with my driver and a ball. For the moment I don’t see any difference in my distances with my irons. (But it’s hard to tell with range balls and the cold) 

1 hour ago, GolfLady said:

Yes, it’s really motivating, that’s why I love the stack! 
Next big step is to bring this speed to the driving range with my driver and a ball. For the moment I don’t see any difference in my distances with my irons. (But it’s hard to tell with range balls and the cold) 

Im always chasing the damn cheer 😂

Stack Referral code

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

I am just starting out with The Stack. Does anyone have any advice for a beginner in speed training? 

My bag currently contains :

Callaway Epic LS

Ping 425 3 wood

Callaway Epic 5 wood

Taylormade P790 irons

Cleveland wedges

Oydessy two ball putter

47 minutes ago, Kevin Kelly said:

I am just starting out with The Stack. Does anyone have any advice for a beginner in speed training? 

two things helped me the most, first was to watch all the videos on the Stack website, made me understand that progress isn't linear and made it easier to keep going and be consistent. 2nd thing was to go back and read this thread from the start, picked up some extremely useful info, learnt from others mistakes and successes.

my results were a game changer for me, stick with it and you'll see results pretty quickly!

Thank you 

Callaway Epic LS

Ping 425 3 wood

Callaway Epic 5 wood

Taylormade P790 irons

Cleveland wedges

Oydessy two ball putter

Step protocol - anyone else have trouble with this?  I'm in the full speed spectrum right now.  I can be humming along doing well, or every making some gains one the first three sets and then I get to the Step intent.  Not only do I slow down (compared to what I think I should be with the lighter weight), but that slowness carries over to the final set.  I know this should be helping me w my weight shift, etc... but it's causing me trouble.  Anyone else experience that?

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

9 hours ago, Kevin Kelly said:

Make sure to be fully warmed up and stretched before starting!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

5 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Step protocol - anyone else have trouble with this?  I'm in the full speed spectrum right now.  I can be humming along doing well, or every making some gains one the first three sets and then I get to the Step intent.  Not only do I slow down (compared to what I think I should be with the lighter weight), but that slowness carries over to the final set.  I know this should be helping me w my weight shift, etc... but it's causing me trouble.  Anyone else experience that?

I can relate to this as also had issues at the start, changing point for me was to really focus on the sequence and how early the step needs to be, once I started stepping much earlier the speed jumped up massively and the light bulb moment happens. 

Slow and steady progress.  I always find myself being somewhat slow with the 195g max swing though.  Almost feel like I have a mental block to really ripping with it.  For sure feels like a mental barrier to try and gear myself up for it.

Golf round tomorrow though so that should be interesting.  Havnt played in weeks at this point.

420836666_7354026051302213_779339037017374148_n.jpg.cce5a0ba002a07a40152c8b751bca1cc.jpg

Stack Referral code

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

On 1/10/2024 at 8:37 AM, OHgolfer2 said:

I will be starting the Stack program next week (first time doing speed training) and have been reading through this thread.  It’s very informative and everyone’s progress is very motivating!  

Out of curiosity, have any of the Stack users here experienced reduced scores (e.g., an improved handicap) after gaining CHS with Stack?  I know that Broadie and Stagner have discussed better SG off tee after speed training, but I’d be interested in hearing from Stack users.  Would be nice to know if anyone gained 15 yards (or whatever distance) and then dropped a couple strokes as a result.

@OHgolfer2 I've probably gained about 6-11m off the tee on average now after completing 2 programmes. While I haven't seen the handicap move down yet (problems have gotten worse elsewhere), I am now in a better position to hit more GIRs. If I isolated the driver only, my strokes gained on driving dropped from -4.8 to -0.9 (I'm using Golfmetrics to track), so it's a significant improvement.

And for improving those other parts of the game, I really recommend using the Stack Putting programmes too! It really forces you to work on the stuff you suck at, and I've (just) started to feel more confident when staring at those downhill right-to-lefts that I just hate.

Good luck on your journey and stick with it!

"Just hit it down the middle. It's wide open there." - Coach Haberli // A Grind BX-D 9.5° | A Grind FW DST 14° | A Grind BX-H 2H (17°) | A Grind Utility Proto 3H (19.5°) | A Grind+ Utility 4H (23°) | Sterling Irons single length 4-9 | :vokey-small: 46°, 50°, 55°, 60° | :cameron-small: Studio Design 1 | :srixon-small: XV-Star🔹 | :wilson-small: Triad | Garmin CT10 | Garmin Fenix 7S | Eenour U1000 Pro rangefinder

47 minutes ago, Paco Chan said:

isolated the driver only, my strokes gained on driving dropped from -4.8 to -0.9

So, from a ~10 yard distance gain, your SG with driver has improved by 4 strokes?  I'm not questioning it, but that is insanely good.  I'm assuming that your dispersion must've improved a lot as well?  Nicely done!  

1 minute ago, OHgolfer2 said:

So, from a ~10 yard distance gain, your SG with driver has improved by 4 strokes?  I'm not questioning it, but that is insanely good.  I'm assuming that your dispersion must've improved a lot as well?  Nicely done!  

That's right. I think the speed has somehow helped reduce any last-minute tinkering by my hands. I used to have a fairly even split of 33/33/33 between left/fairway/right, but now it's closer to 30/59/11. While the block right isn't gone completely, it definitely shows up less often and I can then manage the course better.

32 minutes ago, Paco Chan said:

now it's closer to 30/59/11. 

I feel every bit of this.

IMG_8142.jpeg.18cea288eb5ababd23e49d2977af0a47.jpeg

Edited by skraeling

Stack Referral code

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

First impressions of The Stack

Quality App with clear step by step guidelines for the user.  I am bit confused by the readings I am getting,  To put these readings into a context - I am 6 foot 5, muscular build but suffer from a trail leg hip injury which I require surgery for. Also the conditions I completed my training in was far from ideal - outside in Scotland in the cold with wind and rain while standing on concrete paving a day after a heavy gym workout!

My initial thoughts are that I am slower with the stack than I am in real life with a ball. The day before the readings below were produced I had an indoor lesson with my pro (after my 90 minute workout in the gym). My average speed with my 6 iron was 95 mph and at times I topped 98 mph. This was similar to previous readings outside, however, I have previously peaked at 105 mph with my 6 iron.

In terms of my driver, I have always been far less efficient with my driver than I am with my irons. Mainly due to poor technique and ineffective sequencing. However, even on with my poorest of swings I top my current eSpeed reading below. I currently average around 108 mph and have peaked around 114 mph. 

My hope is the readings within The Stack app are relative. While the results are not a true reflection of my current ability I will see gradual speed improvements on the course over time.

Even though I am only 2 sessions in, I am thoroughly enjoying the process.

IMG_0071.png.b19bdb335db74619a46a6620c40e176e.png

Callaway Epic LS

Ping 425 3 wood

Callaway Epic 5 wood

Taylormade P790 irons

Cleveland wedges

Oydessy two ball putter