Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

GPS or rangefinder?

After a couple of rounds I've noticed I'm struggling with distances.

The club have removed 200 & 150 marker posts and have discs in the centre of the fairway, all ok if you're in the middle of the fairway.

So looking at a GPS or rangefinder,  which do you recommend and why? 

Garmin G10 is £90 so similar price to a MiLESSEY rangefinder on Amazon. 

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

I’m a big GPS guy. The guys I play with and I aren’t always in the same fairway and can’t see the pin. If you can’t see the pin, no use for the range finder. 🤷‍♂️ Also, it’s nice to know distances to all of the hazards or corners without having to shoot multiple items.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I have both. But since I purchased the GPS watch the laser range finder has not been out of the bag. I have a TecTecTec brand for both. No complaints on either but as mentioned if you can't see the pin the laser makes more sense.  Now I just look down at my wrist and ready to select the club and hit. 

I had another GPS that was of the phone size that hung on the bag (Golf Logix) but I like the watch better. Has all the same features. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

GPS for me. Having distances available on my wrist is about as convenient as it gets IMO. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

GPS.  I don't really care about distance to pin; I want to know distances to parts of the green.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have both.  At the courses I usually play, I use the range finder almost exclusively.  At unfamiliar courses, I rely on the GPS.  If only going with one, I would pick the GPS.  Hitting to the center of the green will rarely hurt you.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Just got a rangefinder for Christmas.....still in the learning curve.  Somehow, when using GPS, the "front" number on a green was too comforting.  The Rangefinder has convinced me to club up.....and makes me pay more attention to my carry yardages.  

No one is more surprised than me on this.

Also.....for practice, the rangefinder blows the GPS away.....GPS useless on range flags or a ball you hit and try to replicate for short game practice.

Edited by EEZurg
Added thoughts

:Sub70:    849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 60g 

:tour-edge:   EXS 7wood  Tensei Blue R

:Sub70:    699 4-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

:Sub70:    699 Pro 8-AW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R    

:Sub70:   JB Forged 54 and JB Forged 58 Full Face

:Sub70:    TAll Wide Blade putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9

Grint_Shield_Logo.svg The Grint Pro

I use both, but 90% of the time, the GPS gives me more than enough data. I generally am looking not at the pin, but at front cover distances, or possibly "how far is too far" if the flag is back on the green. GPS is also useful for layup distances, cover over bunkers, and the like.

Where I use the laser rangefinder is for shots inside of wedge range. I really do care in those cases whether the flag is 87 yards or 95 yards. Those are different plays for me. Those generally augment the GPS data. I'll often say "OK, it's 81 to cover the front bunker, and the flag is at 87. Hit the 90 yard shot (vs. 85)"

I have been using the same Golf Buddy Tour GPS for 10 years, and it still works fine.  Our flags are red-front, white-middle and blue-back.  If the flag is red, I split the difference between front and middle numbers; same thing for a blue flag, split the difference between middle and back numbers.

Also, knowing what club will get me on the green and what club will definitely not go off the back is reassuring to me.  I also have a laser, but it has been permanently "borrowed" by my wife.  When we play together, she always gives me the pin yardage for par 3's, but I have usually already pulled my club.

I will likely update my GPS with a watch version this year.  My GB Tour is no longer supported by the latest Mac OS, so getting updates is problematic.   Thinking about the Garmin S62.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

GPS watch for me (Garmin S60).

I love the convenience (and time saving) of just glancing at my wrist for basic distances.  With the option of zooming in on the map to get more detail when I need it. 

I had a TomTom previously, which I quite liked, but the map view on my current one is great, especially on unfamiliar courses.

I use the rangefinder, shoot the flag and go. Most courses near me don't have big enough greens where I need to worry about front/back yardages. I can see the stick and adjust up or down a club depending on position and conditions.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I've used GPS, but my brother uses a range finder and started to convince me to switch. Today he couldn't play so I borrowed his range finder. I won't be using one again. Found the GPS much quicker and easier to use. If I didn't have a clear line of sight to the flag the range finder was basically useless.

:callaway-small:, Driver, Mavrik Max 10.5*, Aldila rouge white 60, XS flex

:mizuno-small:, 3 Wood, MX-700, S flex

:callaway-small:, 4 Hybrid, Mavrik Max, S flex

:Sub70: , 5-PW 699 Pro, KBS Tour S flex

:titelist-small:, Wedges, Vokey, 52*, 56*, 60*

:odyssey-small:, Putter, Stroke Lab Black #7

:titleist-small:, Pro V1

Sounds like a |GPS is the way to go, thanks guys 🙂 

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

7 hours ago, DStar said:

Sounds like a |GPS is the way to go, thanks guys 🙂 

GPS has more advantages, but I prefer the range finder. Having to shoot a few distances gives me time to talk out my plan to myself. I need that mental slowing down so I don't rush through a game plan.

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

I like GPS for convenience but they can be way off depending on the course and weather conditions. I only use a range finder and will get funny looks from people when I say 140 and their GPS says 155. They tend to not trust my laser measurement at first but lasers don't lie unless you're not hitting the pin. The other benefit of lasers is that if you are trying to dial in wedges, range finders are great. I guess they other thing I would consider with picking is looking around at what other people use on your course. If everyone is playing with GPS or you're course has a lot of blind shots, then GPS is probably a good option. But if everyone is using rangefinders, you may want to inquire why. Also, if you're pins have reflectors, rangefinders are a very easy choice. 

but lasers don't lie unless you're not hitting the pin.

I found a laser on the tee box last year and tried it on a few holes. Was able to shoot the pin (got pin lock) and the distance was wrong. Tried it on several holes but same results. May have been broken but it was definitely off.

Lasers do have benefits. And I pull mine occasionally but GPS units are generally pretty
Close unless there is a course
Mapping issue. There is a local course that the front middle and back readings are all the same.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have both....I tend to user the laser inside 150 and GPS otherwise

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I use both, well the phone also so thres! Bushnell phantom for $79 US during black friday deal, and a blue tees range finder. Hole19 app on phone. I clip the phantom to my cart strap on my push cart. It has a belt clp with magnet, it also sticks to the driving cart as well if i'm in one of those. The range finder has slope so it helps a ton on hilly courses which we have here. The phantom doesn't give that. The range finder is also great for practice. I think I paid $250 for both devices. Not bad.

Have GPS watch and rangefinder also.  Find at times it is too easy to look at watch, so for certain shots,  such as 100 yds in find the range finder to be more accurate and force myself to use.  If you are replacing course 150 and 100 markers would suggest a GPS watch or even phone app to start out.               

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

I like range finders because I don't have to worry about charging them.  I replace the battery probably once a year.  My son is a junior golfer and his leagues don't allow GPS devices, but allow range finders.  Since I play every day with him it makes more sense to use what he's going to use in competition.  

I tried a Garmin GPS watch and forgot to charge it more than once or would think it was sufficiently charged only to lose power mid-round.  I also play daily, so that probably makes a range finder easier to manage.   I guess I could have just charged the watch every night.  I also don't like wearing a watch or my wedding ring when I play golf.

I do wear an apple watch daily now, so maybe I should try again at some point using it with an app like the Grint or GolfLogix.

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I use the Garmin Approach Z82 which has a map imbedded in the view finder, along with the distance to the flag; it has the best of both worlds.  The map you would normally see on a GPS device, either a watch or handheld.

Edited by MarineJoe

Cleveland VAS 792 3-W 🥺

Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings HSM

Cleveland 588 "rusty" wedges

I have tried GolfShot on my Apple Watch (series 3 so its slow), along with a GHOST from Bushnell and a range finder. My Bushnell never stays charged, so unless I charge it on the way to play, its worthless. That being said, I rarely use the watch (lately been going completely with out it) and love the simplicity of Front, Center and Back of greens. I am not accurate enough to nail the pin, and if you know the pin placement you can make your club choice based on if its F, C or B. I also like the rangefinder for what others have said. Its light, batteries last forever, and gets you a real distance (I bought a Precision Pro NX7 non-slope for $120 refurbished, and its amazing for the money). If I was only given one choice, it would be the GPS. The GHOST is nice because it is small, pocket sized, and moves along with me as I move holes. The Rangefinder is PRICELESS for the driving range though. I love knowing exact yardage when I am working on clubs and distances, and some ranges (like mine) have a grass area for irons only, but a few mats up higher and further for drivers, so the flags are different distances)

I also use my GolfShot app (Plus level membership) and it gives me the ability to track center of green, or drag the marker around to see how far water hazards or bunkers are which is especially helpful off the tee at a new course, or when trying to layup. 

Hope this helps! First post!

Both for me. GPS is a lot more handy I have found because although In theory I can shoot the distance to a trap it’s not the most accurate (have had plenty of times I shot a distance to something and it was way off because I unknowingly hit something else) but I do like the laser if I know I can go at a flag.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

GPS for me. I've found it provides the bare minimum I need when playing for distance. I'm too cheap to pay extra for slopes, etc. I tried a range finder that my brother in law had and I couldn't figure it out. his numbers were way different than mine, and while his may have taken slope into account, I wasn't comfortable.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

I'm using both these days. I just bought the Shot Svope system (used for two rounds only) and find I like the quick yardage availability. I use my rangeginder for exact yardage on approach shots.

I also had the Garmin g6 watch which set in my desk drawer so long unused and uncharged that the battery died. It was just easier to use my phone and Swing U app for a full picture of the hole as well as gps distance on the same screen. App was much higher quality than Garmin (or any watch I've seen) for hazards and hole view. I still use the app on courses I dont know well.

Sent from my SM-G991U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Just had a "front" colored pin measured to the "mid" distance.  My rangefinder is growing on me every round.  Pin distance was always a guess with the GPS.

:Sub70:    849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 60g 

:tour-edge:   EXS 7wood  Tensei Blue R

:Sub70:    699 4-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

:Sub70:    699 Pro 8-AW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R    

:Sub70:   JB Forged 54 and JB Forged 58 Full Face

:Sub70:    TAll Wide Blade putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9

Grint_Shield_Logo.svg The Grint Pro