TESTERS WANTED! ×

GPS or rangefinder?

On 4/10/2021 at 5:44 PM, DStar said:

After a couple of rounds I've noticed I'm struggling with distances.

The club have removed 200 & 150 marker posts and have discs in the centre of the fairway, all ok if you're in the middle of the fairway.

So looking at a GPS or rangefinder,  which do you recommend and why? 

Garmin G10 is £90 so similar price to a MiLESSEY rangefinder on Amazon. 

I’ve been wearing an s62 for about six months now... it’s great. I think GPS is plenty of information for most golfers, but I also think it’s a best practice to aim for the back middle of most greens (middle of its a front pin) and I think a rangefinder will anchor a distance into your head...

I get the desire to carry a rangefinder but I’m not confident it actually helps me play better.

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

Rangefinder. GPS doesn’t do any good at the range, and the GPS apps available on phones are just as accurate as the devoted ones.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Well I went with a cheap G10 and used it for the 1st time on Friday. 

Played like a jackass but I did hit the right distances, just the wrong directions.

GPS was really helpful especially if I was off the fairway. 

I can see that this will help, just need to work on my swing consistency...

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

Like many of you, I have and use both.  I tend to use my Garmin watch for longer distances, scoring and shot distances and the range finder for distances around 100 yards in as well as accurate lay up distances.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  
  • 1 month later...
On 4/30/2021 at 8:52 AM, Golf2Much said:

Like many of you, I have and use both.  I tend to use my Garmin watch for longer distances, scoring and shot distances and the range finder for distances around 100 yards in as well as accurate lay up distances.  

I use both of them too, but for smaller distances I prefer to use any kind of rangefinder like here. Gps are not giving the clearest info as for my experience. 

Edited by Clairr77

I use both.  I have a Garmin Approach watch for getting my front, middle, back yardages as well as distance to hazards and to measure my drives.  Then I use my Nikon CoolShot for exact pins and lay up distances.  This is generally followed by a swing that produces a ball flight that fails to hit that number.   I love golf!

3 hours ago, garyt1957 said:

I know it's not close to everybody but SOME guys using rangefinders can be slow as sh-t with them. I played with a guy who lasered the flag from 20 yards. I kid you not.

Did he stick the shot?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I use both but I find I use the GPS most of the time on courses that I know.  If I am playing a course that I do not know well, I use both.   

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

I have a range finder for the driving range, but i play with a GPS watch. Its with in 3 yards accurate, or better, im not. They are way better for pace of play. Range finders on the course are obnoxious. Im so tired of seeing a foursome stand on a tee box, on a filled out morning, with all 4 people shooting the flag and debating 2 yards. Then 3 of the 4 arent even with in 30 yards of the green. I waited 5 mins for that? I would love to see range finders banned 🤣. GPS watch is more accurate than 90% of golfers and dont hold up the course like the 4 Dechambeaus shooting a flag on a par 5 from the tips before theu slice it in the woods. I know plenty of you guys arent holding up the course, but lots do. To those of you that can actually hit within 2 yards consistently, have at the range finders. 

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

• 3 weeks later...

I can't wait to see the MGS review or test opportunities for this new Voice Caddie rangefinder WITH GPS. The green contour is really intriguing. 

Edited by Subdiver1
Mislabeleditem
  • Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

I've been using both but recently bought a Garmin Z80, laser rangefinder with GPS built in.  Like mentioned above (Z82 newer version) it has course overlay on the left side of the screen.  I've used it for a couple rounds and pretty sure it will become my go to device.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

• 1 month later...

I have both.  However that said, I tend to use my GPS much more often.  I find that it is useful for me to measure the distance to a particular spot or feature on the fairway, and the GPS does that easier for me.

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

I use 18Birdies on my apple watch.  I like to be able to just glance down and get a distance to the middle (f/b).  On tee shots I can use the phone to see where trouble is and measure the distances, but approach shots are a quick glance at the wrist.  Now if I could actually hit the correct distances ...  

Driver:  Ping 425LST 9*  (Aldila Rouge White 130) 

3 Wood: Sub70 Pro (13) (HZRDS Black 60)

3U: Sub70 (19.5) (True Temper Project X U) 

Irons: Sub70 699 Pro (5-Gap) (Dynamic Gold S300)

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54 and 58 (10S)  (Project X)

Putter: Some old green Nike Blade

I want something that has both. Lasting the flag only gives partial input and if choosing club based solely on the distance to the pin without knowing how much room in front or behind can leave someone in the wrong spot

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I use "The Grint". You can get distances off the tee to trouble, bunkers, water, dog legs ETC ETC. I'll take the middle of the green as I am just not that precision and figure I should be able to 2 putt from anywhere on the green. 

That all said it doesn't do any good for practice on the range as someone has said already. I would like to have a range finder for that reason. I am little to shaky and always seem to tag the tree or house behind the target. 

My BIL uses a rangefinder exclusively. We played the other day and sometimes it was nice to have the pin number. His process is a little different. He will laser the pin then the front of the green so he can land short and try to get his ball to roll the cup. 

There are free versions of phone GPS's you can try. With either the watch style GPS or rangefinder you have to buy them and hope you like what you choose. 

Good luck in your search.  

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

The longer I own my rangefinder, the more there is no going back to GPS (I always have it on the Grint if i absolutely need it).  I was very skeptical, but find more ways to use it every day. 

Any given round I get more yardages on other things than I get on pins.  Feel like I have a better grasp on my carry/total yardages with clubs with the rangefinder. 

The slope feature is great....surprising how much/little difference the slope makes (I would always guess wrong)

Never thought I'd say these things.  

Also, the battery lasts forever.....no charging.  Biggest surprise of all.

:Sub70:    849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 60g 

:tour-edge:   EXS 7wood  Tensei Blue R

:Sub70:    699 4-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

:Sub70:    699 Pro 8-AW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R    

:Sub70:   JB Forged 54 and JB Forged 58 Full Face

:Sub70:    TAll Wide Blade putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9

Grint_Shield_Logo.svg The Grint Pro

Both! I have ShotScope, so that gives me GPS numbers on my wrist. I love knowing front and carry distances for water and bunkers (especially on an unfamiliar course where you can't see them from the tee). On anything outside 100 yards, GPS is more than precise enough. Inside 100 yards though, I find a rangefinder is much better. Once you get into partial wedge shots, the difference between 60 and 70 yards is huge.

Just golfing to have a good time